Adjusting the Campy Headclip-style headset?

Tom Nakashima

Guest
Not sure if I'm adjusting the Campagnolo headclip-style headset
correct. This is the headset which has a headclip for the handlebar stem. I
carefully cleaned and regreased the race and 5/32" balls, all 52 of them.
Once the adjustments for bearing play was made, I left the headclip lose to
insert the handlebar stem. When the stem and handlebar was aligned, I
tightened up on the headclip. I then proceed to tighten up on the headset
locknut. I believe this is correct?
-tom

Tom Nakashima wrote:
> Not sure if I'm adjusting the Campagnolo headclip-style headset
> correct. This is the headset which has a headclip for the handlebar stem. I
> carefully cleaned and regreased the race and 5/32" balls, all 52 of them.
> Once the adjustments for bearing play was made, I left the headclip lose to
> insert the handlebar stem. When the stem and handlebar was aligned, I
> tightened up on the headclip. I then proceed to tighten up on the headset
> locknut. I believe this is correct?
> -tom

If you're talking about the old headclip headset-which I don't think
you are because in my experience Campy didn't make a head clip type
headset-the procedure is to tighten the screwed race, install the
stem, tighten the locknut and then tighten the stem. If, however, you
have an Ahead type headset I believe the Park Tool site has complete
instructions with pictures.
Phil Brown

Tom Nakashima wrote:
> Not sure if I'm adjusting the Campagnolo headclip-style headset
> correct. This is the headset which has a headclip for the handlebar stem. I
> carefully cleaned and regreased the race and 5/32" balls, all 52 of them.
> Once the adjustments for bearing play was made, I left the headclip lose to
> insert the handlebar stem. When the stem and handlebar was aligned, I
> tightened up on the headclip. I then proceed to tighten up on the headset
> locknut. I believe this is correct?
> -tom

If you're talking about the old headclip headset-which I don't think
you are because in my experience Campy didn't make a head clip type
headset-the procedure is to install the screwed race, install the
stem, tighten the locknut and then tighten the stem. If, however, you
have an Ahead type headset I believe the Park Tool site has complete
instructions with pictures.
Phil Brown

Sorry. forget the first post, read the second. No screwed race on a
headclip. Darn this keyboard.
Phil Brown

"philcycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tom Nakashima wrote:
>> Not sure if I'm adjusting the Campagnolo headclip-style headset
>> correct. This is the headset which has a headclip for the handlebar stem.
>> carefully cleaned and regreased the race and 5/32" balls, all 52 of them.
>> Once the adjustments for bearing play was made, I left the headclip lose
>> insert the handlebar stem. When the stem and handlebar was aligned, I
>> tightened up on the headclip. I then proceed to tighten up on the headset
>> locknut. I believe this is correct?
>> -tom

> If you're talking about the old headclip headset-which I don't think
> you are because in my experience Campy didn't make a head clip type
> headset-the procedure is to tighten the screwed race, install the
> stem, tighten the locknut and then tighten the stem. If, however, you
> have an Ahead type headset I believe the Park Tool site has complete
> instructions with pictures.
> Phil Brown

Yes Phil,
indeed it is the older headclip-headset off a 1968 Cinelli SC Pista.
I wasn't sure if the headclip is part of Campagnolo or not.
I'm having trouble with your explanation procedures;
When do you tighten the headclip?
The only possibility is after the adjustment is made for bearing play,
and the handlebar stem is inserted plus aligned.
-tom

Tom Nakashima wrote:

> Yes Phil,
> indeed it is the older headclip-headset off a 1968 Cinelli SC Pista.
> I wasn't sure if the headclip is part of Campagnolo or not.
> I'm having trouble with your explanation procedures;
> When do you tighten the headclip?
> The only possibility is after the adjustment is made for bearing play,
> and the handlebar stem is inserted plus aligned.
> -tom

I have NEVER seen a Campy head clip HS, especially not on a Cinelli
and I've been cycling for 50 years and building frames for 35. I've
made headclip type forks and I've never seen a Campy headclip.That
said you tighen the lock nut to eliminate play and then tighten the
stem.

> Tom Nakashima wrote:
>
>> Yes Phil,
>> indeed it is the older headclip-headset off a 1968 Cinelli SC Pista.
>> I wasn't sure if the headclip is part of Campagnolo or not.
>> I'm having trouble with your explanation procedures;
>> When do you tighten the headclip?
>> The only possibility is after the adjustment is made for bearing play,
>> and the handlebar stem is inserted plus aligned.
>> -tom

> I have NEVER seen a Campy head clip HS, especially not on a Cinelli
> and I've been cycling for 50 years and building frames for 35. I've
> made headclip type forks and I've never seen a Campy headclip.That
> said you tighen the lock nut to eliminate play and then tighten the
> stem.
> Phil Brown

I'll take a picture of it Phil,
This is the first time I've seen one too. The fork also has a slit-saw cut
on the fork-threads. I've been riding and wrenching road bikes for 40+
years. But you're still wrong when adjusting a headset with a headclip.
The headclip is before the locknut. You still never mentioned about
tightening the headclip?

This is my procedure for adjusting the headset with a headclip just
from experience of having a good mechanical feel and playing around with the
headset:
1. Adjust the headset-capnut for bearing play.
2. Insert the handlebar stem with handlebar.
3. Align and tighten the stem.
4. Check the bearing play again with handlebar inserted.
5. Align and tighten up the HEADCLIP
6. Gingerly tighten the locknut against the HEADCLIP & washer.
7. Install front wheel and check bearing play again.
8. Take the bike for a test ride.
-Tom

Tom Nakashima wrote:

> This is my procedure for adjusting the headset with a headclip just
> from experience of having a good mechanical feel and playing around with the
> headset:
> 1. Adjust the headset-capnut for bearing play.
> 2. Insert the handlebar stem with handlebar.
> 3. Align and tighten the stem.
> 4. Check the bearing play again with handlebar inserted.
> 5. Align and tighten up the HEADCLIP
> 6. Gingerly tighten the locknut against the HEADCLIP & washer.
> 7. Install front wheel and check bearing play again.
> 8. Take the bike for a test ride.
> -Tom

Tom, I think that we have a terminolgy problem. A headclip type
headset uses an Aheadset type handlebar stem that's installed on the
steerer under the locknut (that means that it can't be installed after
the locknut), clamps to it and is clamped by the headset locknut. It
differes from the Aheadset HS in that the locknut clamps it as opposed
to the Aheadset where the stem clamps it. And again, the headclip is
an very old fashioned HS common pre WW2 bikes. I've worked on BSAs
with headclips as well as a Drysdale track bike.
Phil Brown

"philcycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tom Nakashima wrote:
>

>> This is my procedure for adjusting the headset with a headclip just
>> from experience of having a good mechanical feel and playing around with
>> the
>> headset:
>> 1. Adjust the headset-capnut for bearing play.
>> 2. Insert the handlebar stem with handlebar.
>> 3. Align and tighten the stem.
>> 4. Check the bearing play again with handlebar inserted.
>> 5. Align and tighten up the HEADCLIP
>> 6. Gingerly tighten the locknut against the HEADCLIP & washer.
>> 7. Install front wheel and check bearing play again.
>> 8. Take the bike for a test ride.
>> -Tom

> Tom, I think that we have a terminolgy problem. A headclip type
> headset uses an Aheadset type handlebar stem that's installed on the
> steerer under the locknut (that means that it can't be installed after
> the locknut), clamps to it and is clamped by the headset locknut. It
> differes from the Aheadset HS in that the locknut clamps it as opposed
> to the Aheadset where the stem clamps it. And again, the headclip is
> an very old fashioned HS common pre WW2 bikes. I've worked on BSAs
> with headclips as well as a Drysdale track bike.
> Phil Brown

After thinking more about this, you're right about the terminology
difference.
The one I'm describing, is installed right after the adjusting
headset-capnut for bearing play. The headclip also has a clamp which
tightens to secure the handlebar stem, although the stem itself has it's own
secure bolt. As I indicated, the fork threads are also slit-cut to allow
for the headclip to be tighten. I've never seen anything like this before.
I do believe it is indeed Campagnolo.
I'll take a picture of it, so stand by, I would love to hear your comments
on the headclip.
thanks,
-tom