adjusting the seat barcroft dakota

Melanie

Guest
Hi there,

Can anyone clue me in as to how to adjust the base of the seat on the
Barcroft Dakota? There is a quick release, and the bracket seems
attached to the bike by two hex screws. I think it moves on the
bracket, similarly to the E-Z bikes. It has a RANS seat on it. I am
new to this kind of mounting, and got the bike used.

Melanie

On 1 Aug 2004 18:06:54 -0700, Melanie wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Can anyone clue me in as to how to adjust the base of the seat on the
>Barcroft Dakota? There is a quick release, and the bracket seems
>attached to the bike by two hex screws. I think it moves on the
>bracket, similarly to the E-Z bikes. It has a RANS seat on it. I am
>new to this kind of mounting, and got the bike used.

I am sure someone with a Dakota will answer, but if not I assume it is
similar to my Virginia. To adjust the seat, remove the pins from the seat
baraces and release the quick release. You may need to unscrew the quick
release a little to get enough play. Slide the seat along the mounting rail
until it is in the position you want. Repin the seat braces to get the
desired angle of recline on the seat. That's all.

On 1 Aug 2004 18:06:54 -0700, Melanie wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Can anyone clue me in as to how to adjust the base of the seat on the
>Barcroft Dakota? There is a quick release, and the bracket seems
>attached to the bike by two hex screws. I think it moves on the
>bracket, similarly to the E-Z bikes. It has a RANS seat on it. I am
>new to this kind of mounting, and got the bike used.

I am sure someone with a Dakota will answer, but if not I assume it is
similar to my Virginia. To adjust the seat, remove the pins from the seat
baraces and release the quick release. You may need to unscrew the quick
release a little to get enough play. Slide the seat along the mounting rail
until it is in the position you want. Repin the seat braces to get the
desired angle of recline on the seat. That's all.

Thank you Bob for the advice. I got the seat adjusted and it did
adjust as you recommended. Now I am wondering what tube I need for
the front wheel. Theyn are the 406mm and I got 20" tubes but they are
to big.

Melanie

Melanie wrote:

> Thank you Bob for the advice. I got the seat adjusted and it did
> adjust as you recommended. Now I am wondering what tube I need for
> the front wheel. Theyn are the 406mm and I got 20" tubes but they are
> to big.

What is the size and brand of the front tire?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Tom,

What I ordered and received was a Conti Grand Prix 20x1 1/8 Tire and
it fits.
I also ordered PV 20x1 1/8 406mm Tube for the same wheel - Conti GP
but what but what I got does not fit.

The existing tube (patched three times) is marked 18" by 1 3/8.

Melanie

Melanie wrote:

> Tom,
>
> What I ordered and received was a Conti Grand Prix 20x1 1/8 Tire and
> it fits.
> I also ordered PV 20x1 1/8 406mm Tube for the same wheel - Conti GP
> but what but what I got does not fit.
>
> The existing tube (patched three times) is marked 18" by 1 3/8.

Melanie,

To quote Dave Larrington, "I also find Continental's so-called 20" tube
to a bit on the large side for use in a skinny 406. Once they're in
they're OK, but it may be worth hunting around for a smaller tube."

To quote Zach Kaplan, "I find the Cheng Shin 19-400 tube fits the 28-406
Stelvio and Grand Prix best and is also the lightest solution for that
size tyre."

Note that Continental defies convention by using a fractional width for
an ISO 406-mm tire - the ISO designation for the Grand Prix is 28-406.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area