Adjusting travel on Manitou Axel

Superior

Oct 15, 2003
I just got the Manitou Axel Super fork and I wonder if anyone can tell me how to adjust travel from 80 to 100mm?

Thanx :) ...

Doesn't the Axel just have a preload adjuster? I remember looking at it breifly before I settled on a sid(wanted lockout).

If so, clockwise should tighten preload.

Hi m8,

the travel is adjusted internally, not via a dial on the fork. My regular riding buddy, has an orange E2 with an axel super. He is not technically good, but is going to bring the manual over (there is nothing on the manitou/ answer web site). I'll check the manual. If it's easy I'll post the instructions, if its tricky I'll post my MSN, and mail u the scanned relavent pages. It may take a couple of days as we both work irregular shifts, if u find the answer before post it, so I don' t have to go through the phaff of scanning etc.

Cheers
Steve

Thanx a million steve :) ...

...I have found a manual on answer webside and I disassambeled the fork, but I realy don´t get it...

...i can´t get the Trevel Adjust Assy out of the leg :( !!!

If you can look it up in the manual if it makes more sense to you?

Thanx again...

...I am getting new spring soon and i would really like 100mm travel to get the best out of this fork :) ...

the manual that comes with the fork is not that impressive, it gives a list of 5 steps and about 3 photo shots of the procedure. Its not desperatley, but dosen't look to tricky, you would need to see the pictures to go with the instructions.

Let me know if this is the same as the web manual, if not and you think it will be usefull to you let me know and I'll scan them in to my computor and post my hotmail address and if u send a blank mail I'll post them back, or if you,ve got an MSN that you don't mind posting I'll just mail the to you:)

Cheers
Steve

Aham, Convertible travel, 5 steps, 3 photos...

...is the same thing :( ...

...and it really doesen´t look difficult, but I still don´t get it :lol: ... Not a mechanical type I guess ;) ... But I´ll keep on trying...

...thanks 4 all your help, I will let you know if I make it ;) ...

S...

Hello, if you figure it out, let me know. I have taken mine apart per instructions and still can't figure it out. The pictures in the instructions don't really match what I see.

Still haven't figured out how to adjust travel on the Manitou Axel fork. After taking the fork apart, the pictures don't match what I have in my hand. I don't see anything that looks like a "clip" to move. Anybody figure it out yet?

It is a 2003 Manitou Axel Super. I have attached a picture if that helps. thanks

Originally posted by staten
It is a 2003 Manitou Axel Super. I have attached a picture if that helps. thanks

Well, I think the problem is you are working on the wrong side. That looks like the rebound damping rod/piston (right side). The travel is acjusted on the left leg where the spring is.

I really appreciate you helping me. The only thing is that on the side with the spring, there is a white plastic rod and you can't take it out. Only the side I have taken the picture of will come off.

Originally posted by staten
I really appreciate you helping me. The only thing is that on the side with the spring, there is a white plastic rod and you can't take it out. Only the side I have taken the picture of will come off.

You need to figure out how to work on the other side. The travel adjustment is not on that side. You will now need to refill the fork with fluid on that side or you will get no rebound damping when you put it back together. Whats holding the other side together? Is it a snap ring?

Hi Chaps

I currently have exactly the same model forks as you (axel supers) - 03 (the grey ones). I have exactly the same problem with regards the instructions not matching and fig 10. doesnt look the same as the part ive removed. I have a feeling that another part is needed to be bought to replace the part currently in the shock. Again the clip on fig 10 must be from a different model of shock.

If anyone finds out how to get the shock converted to 100mm, let me know. thanks