Adjustment For Shimano Pd-m324 Spd Pedals?

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
I just got my new Keen cycle shoes, which are SPD compatible. My bike has Shimano PD-M324 SPD pedals on them. However, with the SH56 cleats installed in my shoes, there seems no way I can get them to fit the matching pedal clips. It looks like the clips on the pedals can be adjusted in length so that the shoe clip can clip in. So I need to adjust the pedal clips with hex keys, right?

I had thought: just install the shoe cleats and pow, they will clip in to the pedal cleats. But apparently the pedal cleats must be adjusted, too?

Thanks a ton

Bob

The cleats are only adjustable for position on your shoe sole...setting them fore-to-aft, side-to-side and rotationally...to where you like them.

The pedals are adjustable for release tension...how much force must be applied rotationally by your leg and foot or by lifting your heal to exit the pedal locking mechanism.

Other that that, it's a simple step-in system. It should be clear to you by now that the M324 pedal is platform use on one side and SPD cleat use on the other.

Lastly, it does take a fair amount of foot pressure to enter and lock into the pedal. With the pedal mounted on the crank arm and at the 3 o'clock position, insert the front tab of the cleat into the pedal's mating pocket. Step down hard with your heal while maintaining some forward pressure on the shoe. Clipping in is as simple as that.

Your cleats are compatible with those pedals and release can be accomplished both by rotating the foot or by lifting your heal...so be careful when pulling up on the pedals or you might find yourself with a bit of a problem on the next downstroke.

Thanks a lot, CampyBob! I was trying to get the cleats to clip in with my hands so I could study how "clipping in" is done, with the bike leaning against a wall. I guess trying to do it "by hand" is harder than "clipping in" with a foot.

I think I found the bolt that sets the release tension on the pedal. It takes a 2.5mm allen key.

I will fuss over this a little, but I'm also scheduling a bike fit with a local bike shop and I think they can help me with the cleat and pedal clip adjustments much more expertly.

You may find, in a short number of rides, that the cleats you have selected actually release too easily and may want to change over the the heel-rotation-only mode of release/unclipping.

Falling over because you forget to unclip is embarrassing, but usually harmless and pretty much injury free.

Coming unclipped unexpectedly at speed can cause a complete loss of control...with the usual injuries...

Practice clipping in and out in an open parking lot and it becomes an automatic action very quickly. Good luck.