Adjustment of Post Moderne shock absorbing seat post

Beaters

Guest
I have a Trek 720 I use for mostly commuting. It has a Post Moderne
shock absorbing seat post that cam without documentation. I can find no
contact information for Post Moderne. So, I wonder if anyone could fill
me in on basics of adjustment and maintenance of these things? I know
they make several models, and I assume that this one is the economy
grade that was in production around 5-7 years ago.

Beaters wrote:
> I have a Trek 720 I use for mostly commuting. It has a Post Moderne
> shock absorbing seat post that cam without documentation. I can find
> no contact information for Post Moderne. So, I wonder if anyone could
> fill me in on basics of adjustment and maintenance of these things? I
> know they make several models, and I assume that this one is the
> economy grade that was in production around 5-7 years ago.

There's a 5 or 6mm hex in the bottom of the seatpost that adjusts preload.
Keep the locknut at the bottom of the suspension travel tight. That's it.

Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Beaters wrote:
>> I have a Trek 720 I use for mostly commuting. It has a Post Moderne
>> shock absorbing seat post that cam without documentation. I can find
>> no contact information for Post Moderne. So, I wonder if anyone could
>> fill me in on basics of adjustment and maintenance of these things? I
>> know they make several models, and I assume that this one is the
>> economy grade that was in production around 5-7 years ago.

> There's a 5 or 6mm hex in the bottom of the seatpost that adjusts
> preload. Keep the locknut at the bottom of the suspension travel
> tight. That's it.

Latest versions are "self lubricating" but older versions need regular
servicing to keep them working smoothly. I had trouble with the top-out
ring of the Bracer Road: seems impossible to put back! Fortunately the
post worked ok (for me) without it.

Post Moderne's instructions:

"1. Unscrew the preload adjust knob and take the MCU out of the bottom of
the outer tube.
2. Use 4mm* allen key (250mm or longer) to loosen fixing bolt inside of
teh outer tube. Then push boot up away from the outer tube and separate
the post head/inner shaft from the outer tube.
3. Wipe inside of outer tube clean and apply fresh grease to the upper
bushing, lower bushing. Wipe the inner shaft clean and apply fresh
grease.
4. Reinstall the inner shaft into outer tube then tighten the fixing
bolt.
5. Apply thin grease to the MCU. Install MCU into the outer tube then
install the preload adjust knob."

* I think it's actually a 5mm with my one.

~PB