ADMIN: CHARTER for sci.bio.evolution

• Thread starter evolution-reque
  • Start date

E

evolution-reque

Charter

sci.bio.evolution will be dedicated to discussions of evolutionary biology. These include, but
are not limited to: Natural selection, genetic drift, mutation, gene flow, recombination,
interactions of the

descent, systematics, taxonomy, modification with descent, macro- and homeotic mutations, adaptive
mutations, the history of life on earth (including the Cambrian explosion and demise of the
dinosaurs), the origin of life, paleontology, taphonomy, ecological genetics, behavioral ecology,
game theory, computer simulations of evolution, punctuated equilibrium, optimality theory,
historicity in biology, the growth of biological thought, the history of biology and evolution,
Lamarck, Darwin, Huxley, Haldane, Fisher, Wright, Simpson, Dohbzhansky, Gould, Lewontin, Diamond,
Dawkins, Leaky, Wilson, Kimura, speciation, adaptive landscapes, adaptation, population genetics and
discussion of recently published works of interest (e.g. is there a "gay gene"?)

Moderation policy: As listed above, Josh Hayes would be moderator. The only criterion for accepting
posts will be relevance. Posts dealing with scientific aspects of evolution will be accepted;
Articles of creationist content will be rejected. Those authors will be informed that the
unmoderated newsgroup talk.origins welcomes such discussions. Talk.origins has a variety of FAQ
files (available via ftp) discussing arguments favoring creationism. These have been discussed
numerous times on talk.origins and will not be rehashed on sci.bio.evolution.

A pre-existing t.o. FAQ file ("Introduction to Evolutionary Biology") will be posted every month or
so to provide background material for new readers or posters.

[moderator's note: This charter is obviously woefully out of date. I mean, FAQ files available via
FTP? Who does THAT any more? Still, I think it's useful to post the original charter, and I'll also
post Chris Colby's elderly FAQ as well. - JAH]

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Charter
>
> sci.bio.evolution will be dedicated to discussions of evolutionary biology.
> These include, but are not limited to: Natural selection, genetic drift,
> mutation, gene flow, recombination, interactions of the

> descent, systematics, taxonomy, modification with descent, macro- and homeotic
> mutations, adaptive mutations, the history of life on earth (including the
> Cambrian explosion and demise of the dinosaurs), the origin of life,
> paleontology, taphonomy, ecological genetics, behavioral ecology, game theory,
> computer simulations of evolution, punctuated equilibrium, optimality theory,
> historicity in biology, the growth of biological thought, the history of
> biology and evolution, Lamarck, Darwin, Huxley, Haldane, Fisher, Wright,
> Simpson, Dohbzhansky, Gould, Lewontin, Diamond, Dawkins, Leaky, Wilson, Kimura,
> speciation, adaptive landscapes, adaptation, population genetics and discussion
> of recently published works of interest (e.g. is there a "gay gene"?)
>
>
> Moderation policy: As listed above, Josh Hayes would be moderator. The only
> criterion for accepting posts will be relevance. Posts dealing with scientific
> aspects of evolution will be accepted; Articles of creationist content will be
> rejected. Those authors will be informed that the unmoderated newsgroup
> talk.origins welcomes such discussions. Talk.origins has a variety of FAQ files
> (available via ftp) discussing arguments favoring creationism. These have been
> discussed numerous times on talk.origins and will not be rehashed on
> sci.bio.evolution.
>
> A pre-existing t.o. FAQ file ("Introduction to Evolutionary Biology") will be
> posted every month or so to provide background material for new readers or
> posters.
>
> [moderator's note: This charter is obviously woefully out of date. I mean, FAQ
> files available via FTP? Who does THAT any more? Still, I think it's useful to
> post the original charter, and I'll also post Chris Colby's elderly FAQ as
> well. - JAH]

That could do with a wash and polish as well. There is one error in it that was
brought to the Archive's attention - he uses N where he should use Ne - that was
not made because Chris was absent w/o leave.

[moderator's note: So, then, do we have alternatives? The idea would be to
provide a document with a basic grounding in evolution. I'm open to
suggestions: please send them to my personal email box at josh at blarg dot
net, since the admin account for this queue has been overrun with v*i$a*gra ads
and the like. - JAH]

--
John Wilkins [email protected] http://www.wilkins.id.au "Men mark it when
they hit, but do not mark it when they miss"
- Francis Bacon