Adult trike

As I approach 70, my son is threatening to buy me an adult trike. I prefer my 21 speed Raleigh and hope to be able to use it for years yet, but I aso use my bike for shopping and a GOOD trike might be useful. Are there any multi-speed trikes? Something that won't be embarrassing to ride? I was thinking of just getting a trailer for my bike.

They're kinda expensive, but apart from that you can't go wrong with a tadpole trike.

There are lots and lots of good adult trikes. Some are designed for stability, some for pure speed/racing and some are a blend of stability and speed.

As dabac suggested, take a look at the so called 'tadpole' class of trikes.

Speed model: http://www.catrike.com/#!700/c1dnt

They seem to be the most popular on the bike trails in my area. They are heavier than a good road bike and a bit more complicated to transport by motor vehicle, but nothing that many folks haven't already overcome the associated issues.

You might have to shop the English builders, but they are still cranking out some fast and light weight road racing trikes. Handling is a little tricky to get onto, but they do offer road bike speed.

English racing trike:
th

There were kits sold to convert a road bike to a trike, but I have no clue if they are still available.

That's very considerate of your son, but I guess a majority of people won't necessarily be up for that.
But now that I think of it, I think I'd like to try an adult trike just out of curiosity!