Advance notice of auction for lanky road cyclists

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Biggs, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I will soon* be auctioning my hardly-used fantastic lightweight Raleigh Special Products 62cm Timet
    Titanium road bike frame on eBay. I found it was a little too big for my liking and got the next
    size down. (frame only; 62cm is the official size - actually is a touch taller c-t; 59cm top tube;
    oversized tubes; satin Ti finish; actual weight
    1.6kg)

    So please smash those piggy banks, rob your neighbours and sell your kids
    :)

    Size guide? Depends on what you like but is likely to suit those taller than 6' 2", or maybe 6' 1"
    if you like a long top tube and don't mind minimal stand-over clearance and like bars higher than
    you can easily manage with smaller bikes. For a rough idea on price, I bought it for £250 in a sale
    last year. Original price apparently was £600. I'm happy to try and answer any tech questions.

    * not sure when exactly. Depends whether I decide to take a photo, and on shipping arrangements.
    Hopefully: within three weeks, maybe next week.

    ~PB

    Tags:

  2. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:44:19 -0000, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >* not sure when exactly. Depends whether I decide to take a photo, and on shipping arrangements.
    > Hopefully: within three weeks, maybe next week.

    Would strongly recommend you get some photos taken Pete. I browse the cycling stuff on eBay all the
    time and it's very noticeable how much better items sell when they have good images available,
    particularly expensive ones.

    Good luck!

    Bob

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Call me Bob wrote:
    > Would strongly recommend you get some photos taken Pete. I browse the cycling stuff on eBay all
    > the time and it's very noticeable how much better items sell when they have good images available,
    > particularly expensive ones.

    Do reckon that's becuase it makes it more believable that the seller really has the item, or simply
    so buyers have a better idea of what the product is and looks like?

    If it's just the latter, I could nick some pics of other people's examples - which would be easier
    and quicker than doing my own (since I can't find me tripod and my manual flash gun is tricky, and
    only got an analogue camera).

    Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

    ~PB

  4. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:15:34 -0000, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Do reckon that's becuase it makes it more believable that the seller really has the item, or simply
    >so buyers have a better idea of what the product is and looks like?

    Probably a bit of both, but I'd guess it's mainly for reassurance about item description and
    condition. Most of us here in urc would be happy to take your word on that sort of thing but I think
    most eBayers apply a bit of caution when dealing with people they don't know (I do at least).

    >If it's just the latter, I could nick some pics of other people's examples

    That should work, I see plenty of people doing that, but in your position I'd try and get some good
    pics of the frame itself. It might be a faff about but given it's not a cheap item two or three good
    shots from different angles could well make a considerable difference to the price.

    Could you borrow a digital camera or get a friend to scan some regular photos for you perhaps? A
    couple of weeks ago you could have posted me some pics and I'd have scanned 'em and emailed back to
    you myself but mine has just gone on the blink :eek:(

    Bob

  5. Call me Bob wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:15:34 -0000, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
    >
    >> Do reckon that's becuase it makes it more believable that the seller really has the item, or
    >> simply so buyers have a better idea of what the product is and looks like?
    >
    > Probably a bit of both, but I'd guess it's mainly for reassurance about item description and
    > condition. Most of us here in urc would be happy to take your word on that sort of thing but
    > I think most eBayers apply a bit of caution when dealing with people they don't know (I do
    > at least).
    >
    >> If it's just the latter, I could nick some pics of other people's examples
    >
    > That should work, I see plenty of people doing that, but in your position I'd try and get some
    > good pics of the frame itself. It might be a faff about but given it's not a cheap item two or
    > three good shots from different angles could well make a considerable difference to the price.
    >
    > Could you borrow a digital camera or get a friend to scan some regular photos for you perhaps? A
    > couple of weeks ago you could have posted me some pics and I'd have scanned 'em and emailed back
    > to you myself but mine has just gone on the blink :eek:(

    Mine's working fine: I'll do it if you want (email address given works fine).

    It may be easier for you to get the photos put on CD when the film is developed, though. Most
    minilabs do it nowadays for about £2.50

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Call me Bob wrote: [pics for eBay]
    > It might be a faff about but given it's not a cheap item two or three good shots from different
    > angles could well make a considerable difference to the price.

    Thanks - I will get some pics done then. I'll dust off my SLR (fancy doing a bit of photography now
    anyway) and get the film transfered to CD. The likes of BunusPrint offer this now as a processing
    option, quite cheaply. Should be really nice quality, but I'm not sure how long it'll take.

    Can anyone recommend any other firms/shops that do this?

    cheers ~PB

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > Call me Bob wrote:
    >> Could you borrow a digital camera or get a friend to scan some regular photos for you perhaps?

    I've not been impressed with the scanned photos I've seen - but maybe their scanner was crap?

    > > A couple of weeks ago you could have
    >> posted me some pics and I'd have scanned 'em and emailed back to you myself but mine has just
    >> gone on the blink :eek:(
    >
    > Mine's working fine: I'll do it if you want (email address given works fine).

    Ta v much for the offer but I think CD'll be better (and can get some other pics done while I'm at
    it).............

    > It may be easier for you to get the photos put on CD when the film is developed, though. Most
    > minilabs do it nowadays for about £2.50

    Oh good, that answers the question I just posted.

    cheers ~PB

  8. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    : Thanks - I will get some pics done then. I'll dust off my SLR (fancy doing a bit of photography
    : now anyway) and get the film transfered to CD. The likes of BunusPrint offer this now as a
    : processing option, quite cheaply. Should be really nice quality, but I'm not sure how long
    : it'll take.

    Just to point out something that may be obvious, quality of picture doesn't matter for ebay. ISTR
    they put a limit of the filesize anyway? Either way, it's only going to be shown on a browser
    window, so anything more than 800x600 jpg is pretty pointless.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester