Advanced Stop Signs

Thanks for your thoughts and replies.

I've tried to summarise the responses below (my apologies if I
misunderstood anyone).

These include:
*Comments on using such space as is available to cross the junction most
effectively (left or right of the vehicles)
*Use of faster initial acceleration of cycles to keep safe.
*Comments on how inappropriate ASL's are.
*To ignore ASL's and treat the junction as any other user.
*To treat ASL's as optional.
*To ignore the stub lane.

Interestingly, no-one was able to comment on how to safely use ASL's in
an approved manner (if there is one). Neither does the highway code as
far as I can see.

I stated in my initial post that I was puzzled by advanced stop lines
and I must conclude that I still am. On the face of it they look useful,
and clearly the authorities spend large sums of money creating them, yet
no-one seems to know how to use them as they were originally intended.
Everyone seems to have a "work-around", as do I.

Probably not an original conclusion. I think I will pursue this with my
local roads department and see what answers they can provide. I'll keep
you posted.
--
Bob Downie
Downie GeoScience Ltd.

"Bob Downie" <BobMail@downie-geo#n0spam#.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I stated in my initial post that I was puzzled by advanced stop lines and
> I must conclude that I still am. On the face of it they look useful, and
> clearly the authorities spend large sums of money creating them, yet
> no-one seems to know how to use them as they were originally intended.
> Everyone seems to have a "work-around", as do I.

As far as I'm concerned they merely codify what I used to do anyway : get to
the front of the queue and stop there.

cheers,
clive