Advantages of a team

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by robertlees, Apr 8, 2006.

1. robertlees

robertlees New Member

Hi

I am a big fan of road racing, particularly Europe, and especialy the Tour de France. But what I'd like to know is what are the benefits of a team. It is obviously a great advantage when, for example, Lance Armstrong does so well because of his Discovery Team colleagues. But how do they help ? It must be more than just getting him drink bottles. Ok, I can understand that if you ride behind someone you are being shielded from the wind. But in a large field, you always have other riders in front, team mates and others.

Robert

Tags:

2. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

But the team leader isn't always with the pack. If he gets a flat he's going to fall off of the back. His team mates will also stay behind so they can pace him back up to the group. Team dynamics also come into play when there's a breakaway. One team can get up front and really drive the pace to pull it back in or help their leader get into it.

3. robertlees

robertlees New Member

...But I am still not convinced of the advantages. Yes having a team mate sacrificing his wheel for the team leader's flat would be an advantage, but how often does that happen ? Pace him back to the group ? Are they better than the leader is to pace him back ? He is presumably the best rider. He has to do the effort to cycle faster than the rest of the pelleton. Also if he has to catch a breakaway, again, doesn't he know what speed to set to catch up ? Are you saying that the team mates know what speed to cycle at, the leader wouldn't otherwise, and the leader just follows.

4. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Flat tires happen all the time. Admittedly, "pace" isn't the clearest term. If the team leader flats, he has to pull over and wait for a team or neutral service car to get him a new wheel. His team mates will wait with him so that he can draft behind them to catch up with the pack. It has more to do with effort than speed. Same with chasing down a break. The team does the work so that the leader has the energy to attack when the time comes to do so.

5. ChangMan

ChangMan New Member

Sure, he is the best rider on the team if he is designated the "captain" or "leader." That's why everyone else chases down the breaks for him so that he can conserve his energy throughout the hours, days, and even weeks of racing that goes on. If you ride full tilt everyday up mountains, into headwinds, or whatever, you're liable to kill yourself. I'm a sprinter for a local team and it helps A LOT when you have a proper leadout versus Robbie McEwen kamakazie style dash to the front.