Advantages of Higher and Lower Gears?

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote:

> A utilitarian cyclist would argue that those clever folks
> who designed Behemoth carefully considered the needs of
> the urban cyclist, allowing her rider to sit in a
> comfortable, normal position and turn the pedals at a
> sensible rate of speed, instead of being bent over like a
> pretzel and spinning the pedals like a hamster on a wheel.

I have a road bike on which I spin, and a utilitarian
"comfort" bike on which I cannot spin. The upright sitting
position and ultra-wide seat makes for easy riding down the
street to the grocery store, but the big seat and
positioning gets in the way of fast leg movement.

RFM

Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jacques Moser wrote:
>
> > Happy coincidence: look at Luigi's answer in the "toe
> > clips" thread just below.
>
> Yes, an enjoyable post and thread. There's also a long
> thread in the UK forum from a lady who has just got into
> spinning, which is what got me started on this track.
>
> I'm well aware of the difference toe straps can make
> because I have them on my exercycle. The higher my
> cadence, the more I want the straps to fit tightly. I find
> myself constantly moving my left foot back on the pedal so
> that I'm pushing with the ball of the foot. Pedalling in
> big, fuzzy slippers that make the straps fit tighter is
> more efficient than pedalling in thin ballerinas that
> leave my foot swimming about.
>
> But I'm not yet confident enough of my balance to put
> straps on Behemoth. I'm still so terrified of falling, and
> still having trouble with critical maneuvres like starts
> and stops which don't come at all naturally to me. Adding
> another thing to think about would make this worse.
> However, I certainly plan to consider straps if ever I
> become a real cyclist.
>
> EFR Ile de France

Of course, by fact of your determination and desire,and
sometimes joy? you are a cyclist now. You might consider a
pair of Mt. Zefal toe cups. They are like short toe clips,
with no straps at all and quite simple to get used to. (Also
inexpensive). They help stabilize the foot on the pedal,
which will increase uphill riding power, and will keep the
ball of the foot in the correct position on your pedal. Use
them with any shoe. We are not all racers in full kit... :)
Best regards, Bernie