Adventure Cycling Across America?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by NYC XYZ, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Hi, All:

    Any one ever go on one of these?

    Not too bad...48 days this year and totally supported...I'd be
    interested in hearing about your experiences.

    TIA!!

    Tags:

  2. Ken M.

    Ken M. Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Hi, All:
    >
    > Any one ever go on one of these?
    >
    > Not too bad...48 days this year and totally supported...I'd be
    > interested in hearing about your experiences.
    >

    > TIA!!

    I followed part of the southern tier on my first tour.

    Ken

  3. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Ken M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > NYC XYZ wrote:
    >> Hi, All:
    >>
    >> Any one ever go on one of these?
    >>
    >> Not too bad...48 days this year and totally supported...I'd be
    >> interested in hearing about your experiences.
    >>

    >> TIA!!
    >>

    > I followed part of the southern tier on my first tour.
    >
    > Ken

    And I am cross posting just like you. Which is unforgivable but too many
    NG's listed to reply separately!. Sorry!

    To be polite why are you being so crass in cross posting like this.
    Typically trollish!

    nuff said!

    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.

  4. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Pinky wrote (for no good reason):
    > "Ken M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> NYC XYZ wrote:
    >>> Hi, All:
    >>>
    >>> Any one ever go on one of these?
    >>>
    >>> Not too bad...48 days this year and totally supported...I'd be
    >>> interested in hearing about your experiences.
    >>>

    >>> TIA!!
    >>>

    >> I followed part of the southern tier on my first tour.
    >>
    >> Ken

    {space added...since form apparently matters...to Pinky?}

    > And I am cross posting just like you. Which is unforgivable but too
    > many NG's listed to reply separately!. Sorry!
    >
    > To be polite why are you being so crass in cross posting like this.
    > Typically trollish!
    >
    > nuff said!

    The OP asked a relevant question in a number of newsgroups simultaneously,
    which is PREFERABLE to posting it separately. (Hopefully that doesn't
    require an explanation, but one will likely be offered anyway.) Most
    consider "bad cross posting" to be to /disparate/ groups (bikes, basket
    weaving, Trekkies, etc.); AND of course Spam is always unwelcome.

    BTW, some might think it crass to reply JUST to criticize the (wrongly)
    alleged crass cross-posting.

    Bill "crass-poster" S.

  5. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Ken M. wrote:

    > I followed part of the southern tier on my first tour.
    >
    > Ken

    So how was it?

    This 30th Anniversary "X-Country Rally" sounds like a nice deal at $5K
    for 48 days of supported riding.

  6. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Ken M. wrote:

    > I followed part of the southern tier on my first tour.
    >
    > Ken

    So how was it?

    This 30th Anniversary "X-Country Rally" sounds like a nice deal at $5K
    for 48 days of supported riding.

  7. Ken M.

    Ken M. Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Ken M. wrote:
    >

    >>I followed part of the southern tier on my first tour.
    >>
    >>Ken

    > So how was it?
    >
    > This 30th Anniversary "X-Country Rally" sounds like a nice deal at $5K
    > for 48 days of supported riding.

    Well a supported tour is very different from what I did. I carried all
    my gear with me on the bike. I may try a lite tour next time. Just carry
    a minimal amount of gear and a cc. Motels!

    Ken
    --
    You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
    having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

  8. Ken M.

    Ken M. Guest

  9. Pinky wrote:

    > To be polite why are you being so crass in cross posting like this.
    > Typically trollish!

    Lighten up, Panzer.

  10. Nif

    Nif Guest

    A friend and I used the Adventure Cycling maps on a 1996 trip across
    the country and into Canada. The maps are great and keep you, for the
    most part off of the main highways and put you in the smaller towns.

    There are occasionally changes or errors, but it's not to difficult to
    ferret out the correct route. The changes can be things like "turn
    left at the white church" and the curch has since burned down or can be
    due to traffic construction in larger areas. I guess you can check on
    their website for route corrections ahead of time too.

    We ran into an Adventure Cycling led group somewhere in Colorado and
    camped with them for an evening. They were having difficulty with one
    of the group leaders and had taken over some of the duties themselves.
    Also they had split up into riding levels and preferred groups all
    meeting at the end of the day.

    Hope this helps.

    Nif

  11. Nif wrote:
    > A friend and I used the Adventure Cycling maps on a 1996 trip across
    > the country and into Canada. The maps are great and keep you, for the
    > most part off of the main highways and put you in the smaller towns.
    >
    > There are occasionally changes or errors, but it's not to difficult to
    > ferret out the correct route. The changes can be things like "turn
    > left at the white church" and the curch has since burned down or can be
    > due to traffic construction in larger areas.

    We found some fairly serious errors in the route profiles. Serious as
    in: one of us was just dead, dead tired and wanted a rest day. But the
    map showed no signicant hills before the next town, 30 miles away, so
    we decided to push on and rest there. When we pushed on, our granny
    gears told us the maps lied.

    But overall, the maps really are excellent. There's nothing better,
    AFAIK.

    - Frank Krygowski

  12. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Nif wrote:
    > A friend and I used the Adventure Cycling maps on a 1996 trip across
    > the country and into Canada. The maps are great and keep you, for the
    > most part off of the main highways and put you in the smaller towns.

    Thanks! Just as an interesting FYI -- did you know that you can
    sponsor a whole official Adventure Cycling map for $25,000? Or $2,000
    for a section thereof, or however much $$$ for one-mile increments.

    Cute! Just imagine some of our more illustrious posters adopting parts
    of the trail....

    > There are occasionally changes or errors, but it's not to difficult to
    > ferret out the correct route. The changes can be things like "turn
    > left at the white church" and the curch has since burned down or can be
    > due to traffic construction in larger areas. I guess you can check on
    > their website for route corrections ahead of time too.

    Ah, I figured as much. BTW, they're still trying to create a National
    Bike Greenway or something like it...in their latest club 'zine they
    reported over $2 BILLION in federal, state, and local support!!!!! No
    details, exactly, so I'm not sure what the deal is, really....

    > We ran into an Adventure Cycling led group somewhere in Colorado and
    > camped with them for an evening. They were having difficulty with one
    > of the group leaders and had taken over some of the duties themselves.
    > Also they had split up into riding levels and preferred groups all
    > meeting at the end of the day.

    Now that's interesting! What was that difficulty, exactly, involving
    that group leader, I wonder?

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Nif

  13. Nif

    Nif Guest

    >> We ran into an Adventure Cycling led group somewhere in Colorado and
    >> camped with them for an evening. They were having difficulty with one
    >> of the group leaders and had taken over some of the duties themselves.
    >> Also they had split up into riding levels and preferred groups all
    >> meeting at the end of the day.

    >Now that's interesting! What was that difficulty, exactly, involving
    >that group leader, I wonder?

    >From what I remember - and this was about 10 years ago - was that this

    leader, whom I believe was a woman, was just difficult to get along
    with and there was some mention of her not pulling her weight. They
    all seemed to be enjoying the ride nonetheless.