Adventure Racing Revisited

acid

Oct 24, 2001
Hiya,<br /><br />This is the second time I'm posting this sort of topic so forgive me if you've seen it before. ;)<br /><br />Are there any Adventure Racers out there! <br /><br />The Eco-Challenge Fiji kicks off on 11-10-02. The South Africans are there as Team Mazda. Check out www.ar.co.za for more info.<br /><br />Anyone interested in chatting about AR on this thread? I've got one short course an one sprint behind me. Aiming for the 200km in Limpopo province in February next year.<br />

I've got a mate who does triathlons who is keen to get some going. My biggest problems would be that I hate hiking and I have no direction sense. Other than that though I'd love to do some, my sport loves are all over the place and adventure racing would suit that, I've got a lot of rock climbing experience, the requisite MTB'ing experience and I can walk (the other side of things) even though I hate it. Got another mate who tried one of these 200km things, after 18 hours and getting completely lost 3 times they gave up. <br /><br />I think, though, that I will wait at least until next year before I get into this, still trying to get the cycling bug to bite properly (It bites well enough over the weekends but often finds a duvet on weekday mornings and struggles to get to me)

I have done a couple of sprints. I'm more focussed on cycling though, but I have a contact for you if you're looking for a team member. He may be interested. He did the Magaliesburg 100km race a few weeks ago, so he's getting the experience.

PM me your friend's details and I'll get hold of him. I'm in the process of setting up a pemanent racing team so the more people we have in the squad, the better.<br /><br />Don't you wanna try a real AR Lab_Rat? C'mon, step outside that comfort zone......<br /><br /> ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I've been wanting to try one for ages but it just takes too much of my cycling training time. (i.e. the cross training.)<br /><br />And what do you mean by a real AR? 250km? 500km?

It does take up a lot of your cycling time. I have lost all of my leg speed from last year because of all the cross training that I've been doing. I did a 3hr02min 94.7 last year, this year I'm just doing it for the fun (All the Bar One's you can eat!) The difference is that when I finish the event, I'll still be strong enough to probably do it the route again at my &quot;Adventure Racing&quot; pace. A couple of AR racers are planning on doing a &quot;Victory lap&quot;, I'm thinking about joining them.... :eek:<br /><br />The &quot;Real AR's&quot; start at 200km, as soon as you introduce sleep deprivation and intense navigation. The 100km events are introductory events to bridge the gap between 30km and 200km and are nice events, but I don't like them... The 500km events are serious stuff, only to be attempted after completing a couple of 200km events I think..<br />The Raid Galuoises this year was a 1000km event through Vietnam, very hectic!<br /><br />Hope to see you at an event soon, there are a couple of sprint events coming up in Nov/Dec if you'd be interested..

Good thing you reminded me. We're also thinking of doing a &quot;Victory Lap&quot; at the 94.7, but at an average of about 30-31. (Not sure whether that's AR pace.) I need to give my mate a call to see whether he's arranged the &quot;good cause&quot; We were thinking of doing it for a charity.<br /><br />(finger dialling number already)<br /><br />

Phew :eek:, 30-31 isn't AR pace, My AR pace is probably about 25-26kph.<br /><br />

the cross training certainly impacts my cycling - since i've started trail running in prep for AR my daily road rides and weekend MTB are really hurting. I think when you start training multiple disciplines you've got to really plan out your training properly (periodisation etc) because the potential for overtraining is huge.<br />don't forget the kayaking and navigation training too - many a race is lost due to poor navigation no matter how fit you are. <br />team dynamics is an interesting topic too.<br />but i think AR and endurance racing is the way to go and I look forward to doing some real good ones in the near future. <br />hmmm, now what gear can i buy this week...........

Hey Spook!<br /><br />Where are you based? <br /><br />My AR training is kicking off 01/12/02, with the aim to do some big events next year! (200km to 500km)<br /><br />What sort of training are you currently doing for AR

Johannesburg, South Africa.<br /><br />I guess that rules out us getting together for some training ;)<br /><br />Please let me know what sort of training yu're doing, I'm desperate for ideas!!<br /><br />Here's an email shot that I just received re the 100km event that I'm doing in Feb 2003,<br /><br />Visierskerf 100km<br /><br />this race will feature for the first time in SA Adventure racing history, Horse riding as one of the disciplines - at least one member per team should be comfortable on horse back <br />contrary to popular believe, the Free State is NOT flat - we climbed up to 2400 metres, the 7th highest mountain in the country ... of course there will be a CP at the top ! <br />the field will be limited to 40 four-person teams, due to our limitation regarding horses - 4 member teams can Enter from now up until 24 January 2003. If the limit of 40 teams have not been reached, Pairs will be allowed to Enter from 27 - 29 January 2003 <br />the Navigation for this race qualifies as being that of an &quot;entry-level&quot; race <br />teams will be Trekking through a natural heritage site <br />this race will feature only ONE central Transition area, in beautiful surroundings - there will be plenty for the family and Support crew to do while waiting - horse riding, walking trails, swimming pool and plenty of space for the kids to run around ! <br />this race will also feature a long Trekking leg with a spectacular view <br />as the teams arrive at the Registration venue, they will receive their Instructions &amp; maps - the sooner you get there, the sooner you can start plotting <br />all of the teams SHOULD finish the race before 24h00 on Saturday evening <br />accommodation will include your choice of a 4 star lodge, or rooms or camping <br />lodge - we negotiated good prices - there are 11 rooms in the Lodge available at R250 per person - please book well in advance by sending me an email - first come, first served - dinner Friday evening for Lodge guests will be R65 per person <br />rooms &amp; camping will be R70 per person for the whole weekend. There are limited rooms available - first come, first served - send me an email to book your rooms <br />Saturday evening there will be a &quot;Skaapbraai&quot; to enjoy, salads, pap &amp; sous etc. for R60 per person <br />Sunday morning Breakfast at the Lodge (before prize giving) will be R30 per person <br />this race is one of those that you shouldn't miss out on <br />you will need to bring your sense of humour along with you <br />Enter early for this race to avoid disappointment - Info &amp; Entry form in the Event Calendar on www.ar.co.za<br /><br />Check out www.moolmanshoek.co.za for some visuals on the area if you're intersted.<br />The training has started!

yeah i guess we won't be doing any training together. <br />SA - i've only seen the west coast down to capetown but a beautiful place.<br />Is AR pretty popular over there? I am orginally from NZ where multisport and AR is very popular. Things are just starting to pick up here in Aus.<br /><br />My training is a bit unstructured at present - not helped by having 2 bikes out with major mechanical probs. Normally my training is something like this:<br /> 30km flat road riding 3 weekdays - Easy - Med intensity<br /> 40 km hills road riding 1 weekday - Med-hard<br /> 4 hours MTB saturday - Med<br /> 60 km road sunday - Med<br /><br />I interchange some of the weekday road rides with 1-1.5 hour trail runs through the hills 1-2 times a week.<br />Trying to fit in once a week 1-2 hour kayaking session if possible.<br />other cross training includes a bit of rock climbing and i am planning on doing some orienteering real soon.<br /><br />how bout yourself?

yeah i guess we won't be doing any training together. <br />SA - i've only seen the west coast down to capetown but a beautiful place.<br />Is AR pretty popular over there? I am orginally from NZ where multisport and AR is very popular. Things are just starting to pick up here in Aus.<br /><br />My training is a bit unstructured at present - not helped by having 2 bikes out with major mechanical probs. Normally my training is something like this:<br /> 30km flat road riding 3 weekdays - Easy - Med intensity<br /> 40 km hills road riding 1 weekday - Med-hard<br /> 4 hours MTB saturday - Med<br /> 60 km road sunday - Med<br /><br />I interchange some of the weekday road rides with 1-1.5 hour trail runs through the hills 1-2 times a week.<br />Trying to fit in once a week 1-2 hour kayaking session if possible.<br />other cross training includes a bit of rock climbing and i am planning on doing some orienteering real soon.<br /><br />how bout yourself?

Ar is taking off in South Africa in a fairly big way, we've got the outdoor environment to support it and a lot of South Africans are involved in outdoor sports, so once the transition is made, they're hooked. Ar has only been officially going for three years here so its still in its infancy.<br /><br />My training is a little eclectic but sort of follows this plan:<br /><br />Monday to Friday: Up early 1r run or cycle; Cycle to work (8km trails); 45min run at lunch time; cycle home (8km trails)<br />Saturday: Off (The day belongs to my wife ;) )<br />Sunday: Long cycle, run, fastpack or kayak (Usually 3hrs duration) This all depends on how I feel and which discipline I feel needs attention (Currently my kayaking is really bad &gt;:( )<br />If you have any kayaking training tips, please send them my way, I'm a newbie in this arena.....<br /><br />If you liked the west coast, then I've got a race for you:<br />Its the Desert Challenge, a 250km event in the Richtersveld of the Northern Cape on the border of Namibia.<br />Check out www.adventureracing.co.za for the scoop. Maybe you should consider visiting us for that race, with our current exchange rates, its well worth your while.<br /><br />Alternatively check out www.ar.co.za for the low down on the AR scene in SA<br /><br />My training is on hold for a while, picked up some stomach bug at a race last week, feeling really cr*p :'(<br /><br />Speak to you soon