Advice: 105s, <$1,500, 5'11", 190 lbs, 44 yo

mahai

Jul 11, 2010
I've searched through over 20 pages here, but it seems as most titles are vague and hard to find exactly what I am looking for.

Here's the deal:

I'm new to road bikes, 44 y.o. decent shape. 5'11" and about 190 lbs. I know I want at least, Shimano 105 components and can't really spend more than $1,500. I would like to ride -- or try to ride a few rando's, possibly do some club rides (after I find a compatible one) and generally ride for fitness.

I have a Specialized MTB (stumpjumper S4) and really like it so I am inclined to start by looking at Specialized. However, I am willing to shop around.

I value your opinions and look forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Mahai

Go to your local bike shops and test ride the bikes that interest you. There really aren't many bad, if any, bikes out there.

If you don't know some good shops ask around, ride some bikes buy what you like. I've been riding (mostly road) a long time- 37 yrs- and spent 8 or 10 yrs in shops, did some racing and a little touring. Don't get too hung up on having 105 sometimes upgraiding is ok and keep SRAM (RIVAL) in mind it's less expensive generally and I think works just as good or better. The main thing is the frame, it's the soul of the bike. I've worked on thousands bikes and riddin nearly as many. Beware of aluminum road bikes they are light and lively but they will BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOU. I bought an aluminum bike once, because I lost my good stuff and was short on cash. I hated it, even though had carbon forks and stays to absorb shock and felt bearable on the test ride but long rides felt A LOT LONGER. Like most all welded alu frames it was crooked. Steel is a little heavier sometimes, sometimes not, but rides smooth and lasts. The other options titanium and carbon are nice but $$$$ I bought a steel Masi cyclocross bike for $1100 and I like it nearly as much as my titainium custom built Seven my wife bought me. I've heard Masi makes an inexpensive road bike too.

The idea that all aluminum frames will "beat the hell out of you" is just plain false and has no factual basis. Frame performance is a function of design, construction, and QC. There are many aluminum frames, today, and their ride qualities cannot be defined by their material.

It's more important for the OP to consider how a bike feels on the road, how it fits, and how it appeals to him or her than it is to fret over frame material.

For your consideration:

2010 Ridley Compact/SRAM Rival Complete Bike $1499.00 (Was $2299.00)
Weight: 1455.0
Available Sizes: Small (White), Medium (White), Large (White), X-Large (White)
2010 Ridley Compact/SRAM Rival Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist

2007 Ridley Excalibur/SRAM Rival Complete Bike $1649.00 (Was $3400.00)
Weight: 1100.0
Available Sizes: Large (801A)
2007 Ridley Excalibur/SRAM Rival Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist

2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01/SRAM Rival Complete Bike $1699.00 (Was $2999.00)
Weight: 1400.0
Available Sizes: Medium (Orange/White), Large (Orange/White), X-Large (Orange/White)
2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01/SRAM Rival Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist

I've owned and ridden an all aluminum Cannondale equiped with 105 for 26 years.

I'm 52 years old and have ridden my C-dale 1300 miles so far this year. I don't feel beat up, actually I feel pretty good. :)

If one wishes to race a couple of triathlon / TT races with his old road bike without investing too much on it she needs couple of extra parts. I have a decent road bike with aero clip on handlebars which had a nice impact of reducing 7 mins of my 90 km cycling time. Now I'm considering what to do next with my bike.
Having read http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/aero/aerodynamics.htm article I'll still appreciate a word of advice.
At the moment I'm thinking of aero helmet, saddle mounted bottle cages and an aero front wheel with 82 mm rim profile, in that particular order. All together they will cost less than 500 $ (yes, a bargain wheel) and this is an upper limit for my budget.
It would be nice to hear what fellow cyclists think of those improvements and if you have links to studies on cycling gear aerodynamics, I'd love to read about them. The one mentioned above is quite old and I'm sure there's been a lot of improvement since that.