Advice about procurement of ZIPP 404 vs CAMPAGNOLO BORA

ciotic

Jan 3, 2007
I intend to buy a tubular wheels Zipp 404 or Campagnolo Bora.
I have now Mavic Ksyrium SL, and never ride tubulars.
I am an amateur, never in competition, but have great pleasure to ride, and to have best components on bike.
I need your advice , and even stories about your experience riding this wheels.
I want to heard not only good things about, but bad more , if there are.

Thank you

I extend the investigation, and ask your advice for one of those wheels that I intend to buy:

1.Easton Tempest II Carbon Wheelset
2.Fulcrum Racing Speed Wheelset Tubular Tire
3.ZIPP 404
4.CAMPAGNOLO BORA

Thanks

ciotic said:
I am an amateur, never in competition, but have great pleasure to ride, and to have best components on bike.

Thank you
Define "best". What is your criteria?

Ok, You are right. What is ''best'' for me, maybe is not for others. For my opinion , based on my experience of riding , I appreciate the following qualities:

1.lightweight , without compromise mechanicals
2.aerodinamics
3.mileage without adjustments or repairs
4.Design
5.Reliable
6.Easy maintenance
I have 80 kg and the roads are in bad condition (about 50%)

Thanks

ciotic said:

Thank you
I can't give you specifics about either wheelset, but:
  • you need to pre-stretch your tubulars before gluing them (including the spare!) ... you will probably think that your new tubulars were intended for a 650c sized rim when you first try to mount them!
  • a spare set of wheels goes a long way toward that end (700c clinchers will barely-work toward that end but a spare set of old tubular wheels is definitely better for pre-stretching sew-ups)
  • you need to have at least TWO extra (three is better, the third is the spare you carry with you) tires than the ones that are mounted because you will want your pre-stretched tires good-to-go when the time comes.
  • your mileage may vary, but figure no more than 2000 miles -- for some people, that's a lifetime's worth of riding ... for other people, that's less than a month's riding ...
There are different thoughts with regard to how much glue you need for each rim. Some people use one tube per rim ... I found that MUCH LESS is required.

TUFO makes a special tape for installing sew-ups on tubular rims. It is much more expensive than rim glue.

FWIW. I think I'd give the new tubeless tires a go, FIRST ... currently, they are only "sanctioned" for the Shimano DA wheelset, AFAIK, but your Ksyriums may be good enough (it's a matter of whether there is sufficient hook on the bead, I think, to keep the tubeless tire from being blown off the rim).

ciotic said:
Ok, You are right. What is ''best'' for me, maybe is not for others. For my opinion , based on my experience of riding , I appreciate the following qualities:

2.aerodinamics
4.Design
5.Reliable
6.Easy maintenance

Thanks
Oh yes, fortunately, FAT (700x23 equivalent & larger) sew-ups are now commonly available, again. Don't go with anything less if you have bad roadways.

FWIW. I never put more than 105PSI in mine ...

ciotic said:

2.aerodinamics
4.Design
5.Reliable
6.Easy maintenance

Thanks
I'll second Jono L's recommendation - you said nothing about price. Wait for the clincher version as clinchers have lower rolling resistance (http://www.biketechreview.com/tires/AFM_tire_crr.htm)

ciotic said:

Thank you
Just some friendly advise mate, there is a reason they are called RACE wheels. Rolling around on a pair of Bora's because you like nice things will pretty much make you the enemy of every other rider you see.
Clearly the coin is no issue so go the Bora's, they are stupidly nice wheels.
But if your doing alot of K's on them don't expect them to stay that way for long. I'd alos have a serious no lock-up policy on those bad boys.

Ok, thanks.I am thinking now . I will take a Miche Supertype for accommodation with aerodinamical and tubulars.I''ll put some Conti GP4000 with Vectran breaker and a puncture sealant.
Thanks

Matt888 said:
Just some friendly advise mate, there is a reason they are called RACE wheels. Rolling around on a pair of Bora's because you like nice things will pretty much make you the enemy of every other rider you see.
Clearly the coin is no issue so go the Bora's, they are stupidly nice wheels.
But if your doing alot of K's on them don't expect them to stay that way for long. I'd alos have a serious no lock-up policy on those bad boys.
That's a bit harsh. Haven't you been to the coffee cart in Centennial Park early on a weekend morning? Wall to wall Colnago, Pinarello and Wilier with every possible bit of shiny carbon bling bolted on, leaning against posts while their owners yak with coffee, their fat executive paunches bulging over their waistbands. I don't hold it against them that they've more to spend on bikes than me - I'd rather that they were involved in my sport rather than golf or motor racing. And where else would we get our cheap, slightly used bits/bikes on ebay?