Advice about replacement of Gels&Energy Bars?

ffvelazquezh

Aug 12, 2003
The best replacements for Gels & Nutritional Bars:

I use to live in a small town near to the south coast of Mexico, with beautiful sights so ride, but because of the distances, barely I can get enough Gels & energy bars. I tried to substitute with some isotonic drink prepared with Orange juice, lemon, salt and honey. and the energy bars with some oat cookies.

I think there can be another options.

Could you be so kind to recommend some homemade recipes or any good replacement ???

BTW Could the SNICKERS be a good option?

Snickers are good after you are bonked but they have too much simple sugar for use before IMO. My top recomendation, PB&J sandwitches! They have helped me trough countless rides.:)

ffvelazquezh said:
The best replacements for Gels & Nutritional Bars:

I use to live in a small town near to the south coast of Mexico, with beautiful sights so ride, but because of the distances, barely I can get enough Gels & energy bars. I tried to substitute with some isotonic drink prepared with Orange juice, lemon, salt and honey. and the energy bars with some oat cookies.

I think there can be another options.

Could you be so kind to recommend some homemade recipes or any good replacement ???

BTW Could the SNICKERS be a good option?

Whole dried bananas. ;)

Post excersice recoverywise I find that a banana milkshake is always good. Some simple and complex carbs in the nana and that's considered the best natural food for workout junkies. I always make it will no fat or half fat milk, never whole and some milk powder for extra protein if it's been a realy hard workout. Peanut butter is good on wholemeal bread or brown ricecakes. Is there not an internet site you can order in bulk too. you tend to save money on them if you get a big order.
As for Iso's while on the move that's a tought one but I am sure you can get some glucoes from your local drug store type place and mix about 4-6 percent with water/realy diluted fruit juice
as for salts... can anyone help me on that one.

ohhh... and a recent test in australia has found that cycling responded just as good to a handfull of raisins compared to an iso drink pre excersice during an increasing resistance to fatigue test a few months back.

I have made my own gels with corn surap and a little Kool Aid mix for flavoring. This can be mixed in a gel flask used for GU or some other gel refills. I have also found that Snickers and Fig Newtons are a real good way to keep up the energy levels on long rides also. Check out page 94, November 2004 issue of Bicycling.

You could simply even just take honey straight. There is one gel company out there that markets this- a honey shot with flavor or caffeine.

They are all the same basic thing- 100 calories of carbs a pop.