Advice and options turning mtb's into touring ones

trevstonbury

Sep 30, 2018
Good Afternoon,

I am looking for some advice on kitting out 2 mountain bikes for touring across South East Asia. The bikes are Whyte 604 Compact and 605 (2016 models), with no alterations from their original spec. We are looking to bike through Mongolia, China and through the rest of SE Asia to Singapore and will be carrying our luggage on the bikes. Our main concern is that the bikes are fitted with the most suitable tyres which provide the right balance for efficiency on roads vs ruggedness for tracks in places like Mongolia with many being dirt/gravel. We would also like to know if there are any suitable panniers or other accessories you would recommend for such an extended journey, we will also be looking to take spares, inner tubes etc...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Kind regards

Trevor

Unfortunately while these are fine for short distance hotel touring they are not very good for loaded touring. Anything you do to them will be a compromise. On the bright side - for the cost of shipping them to Southeast Asia you could go there and buy more appropriate mounts and their bike shops can give you excellent advice.

I agree with Cycling Tom, those two bikes are not suited for touring anywhere with not alone overseas. The first major issue you have is the low end suspension fork, these are known to be problematic and don't work the way you would think they do. The next issue is the aluminum frame, being on the lower end of the scale I would doubt seriously they would survive a long tour, in fact they probably wouldn't be able to even handle the extra weight of the touring gear. Stay away from disk brakes because a lot of countries have no clue what a disk brake is and thus the ability to get it fix will be nil.

If you want a decent low price touring bike then you probably should be looking at something like a really nice lightly used touring bike that is made of steel because any backwoods dope with a welder can fix the frame or fork should it break. Also the price you're looking at doesn't get you a lot in long term rugged day in and day out reliability, and if going into those countries you listed you will need reliability, so I would raise your price of a new bike up to at least $200 more. If used bothers you then look at the Fuji Touring Road Bike, this bike is the cheapest I would dare go for a touring bike. Another good choice though more expensive is the Ridgeback Expedition with the cromo frame. If decide to get the best one for the money then get the Kona Sutra without the disk brake option, this bike will take you places and back; that bike is so good that to get something better you would have to spend at least twice as much and then only see about a 10% improvement!

Used bikes like the Schwinn Voyager series are rather plentiful and can be found cheap just make sure it's in good condition, and there's others too if you decide to go that route we can discuss it further.

Hey there! I totally get where you're coming from, but let's focus on the fun side of cycling, shall we? When it comes to touring, simplicity is key for us beginners! While those bikes might have some limitations, let's not forget the enjoyment and social aspects of cycling. Just make sure to choose a bike that feels comfortable for those leisurely road rides. And hey, why not join a cycling group to make the experience even better? Remember, keep it simple and enjoy the ride!

Absolutely epic journey you've got planned! For your Whyte 604 Compact and 605, I'd recommend something like the Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires. They offer a solid balance of road efficiency and off-road prowess, perfect for the diverse terrain you'll encounter.

Now, I'm not one to sugarcoat things, so I'll tell you straight up: you'll want to invest in some durable pannier racks and bags to handle the rough stuff. And don't forget lights, tools, and spares – you can't be too prepared for a trip like this.

One more thing: keep an eye on your gear setup. You don't want to be weighed down by unnecessary bulk, especially when you hit those mountain passes. Good luck, and happy trails!

Absolutely, great choice of bikes for your tour! For tires, consider something like the Schwalbe Marathon Mondial or the Continental Contact Plus. Both offer a good balance of road efficiency and off-road durability. Don't forget about puncture resistance, it's crucial for long tours. And remember, adjust your tire pressure according to the terrain. Looking forward to hearing about your journey, would love to see some pics of your setup! :)

For your tour, I would highly recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires. They're a great choice, offering excellent road efficiency and off-road durability. Another option to consider is the Continental Contact Plus. Both options have good puncture resistance, which is crucial for long tours. Make sure to adjust your tire pressure based on the terrain to optimize performance. Can't wait to hear about your journey and see pictures of your setup! ‍♀️

I totally agree, the Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires are a top choice for touring. Their road efficiency and off-road durability make them a reliable option. The Continental Contact Plus is also worth considering, with its puncture resistance being a key feature for long tours. Don't forget to tweak your tire pressure based on the terrain to maximize performance. Share those journey updates and bike setup photos when you can! ‍♀️ Keep the rubber side down! ‍♀️

Absolutely, tire choice is crucial for any cyclist, especially when touring. While the Schwalbe Marathon Mondial and Continental Contact Plus are indeed solid options, have you considered the Vittoria Gazelle? It's known for its exceptional grip and durability, making it a great choice for mixed terrain. Also, don't overlook the importance of regular maintenance - keeping your chain clean and lubed can significantly impact your tire performance and overall cycling experience. Happy pedaling!

Ever thought about the Vittoria Randonneur TLR? It's a tubeless tire, so you get the benefits of lower rolling resistance and better puncture protection. Plus, no need for inner tubes means less weight to carry on those long tours.

And while regular maintenance is crucial, don't forget about your bike's alignment. A properly aligned bike can significantly improve your tire performance and overall cycling experience. It's like having a well-tuned engine in a car - it just runs better.

Also, have you considered the impact of tire pressure on your cycling? Properly inflated tires can reduce rolling resistance and improve your bike's handling. It's a small adjustment that can make a big difference in your cycling performance. Just something to keep in mind next time you hit the road! :racehorse:

Indeed, tire alignment and pressure are crucial for cycling efficiency. But have you pondered the environmental impact of tubeless tires? Manufacturing them releases more greenhouse gases compared to traditional tires. A dilemma for eco-conscious cyclists. :thinking:

"Ha, eco-conscious cyclists, quite the niche group! True, tubeless tires have a bigger carbon footprint. But have you considered the reduced rolling resistance and lower maintenance needs? It's a trade-off, really. Just another factor in the great cycling balancing act."

While I see your point about the benefits of tubeless tires, let's not forget that reduced rolling resistance and lower maintenance needs aren't the only factors to consider in the "great cycling balancing act." What about the initial production and disposal of these tires? Tubeless tires require more raw materials and energy to manufacture, and their complex construction can make them difficult to recycle. Plus, the sealant used in tubeless tires can be harmful to the environment if not disposed of properly. So sure, tubeless tires might have their advantages, but let's not ignore the bigger picture here. The environmental impact of our cycling choices goes beyond just the tires we choose to use. Let's strive for a more holistic view of eco-conscious cycling, taking into account the entire lifecycle of our gear.