Advice before I buy a bike off Craigslist

Kengh

Jul 23, 2011
Hello everyone,
I am pretty interested in buying a nice hybrid bike to use for my daily commute when the weather permits. I found one on craigslist that appears to be a good deal. Its a Specialized CrossTrail and from the looks of it (I've check on specialized website) it appears to be the 2008 CrossTrail Expert edition (based on the color of it and its Shimano components). If this is true, that means it was about a $900 dollar bike brand new. She is only asking $300 for it, so it appears to be a great deal. One of my concerns is that it is a female bike, although she claims that it is unisex (I'm a guy). Can anyone help me out and let me know if this is indeed a unisex bike? Also, if it is a CrossTrail Expert edition, is this a pretty good bike? Thanks in advance for any advice.

The 2008 Crosstrail Expert did not come in a Woman Specific Design. Therefore, it is a unisex bike. The big question is, does it fit you? It is a good bike for a commuter bike. Not top of the line, but definitely worth $300 if it isn't totally worn out. It looks good in the photo.

According to the Bikepedia entry, the bike should be equipped with disc brakes and a different fork. Is there anything else different?

As kdelong mentioned above, bike fit should be your main concern. Do you know what size bike you need? To me, it looks like a very small frame.