Advice: Building a 20 lb. Hardtail XC Mountain Bike

Hans W. Gruenig

Guest
Howdy,

Someone stole my trusty (heavily modified) Trek 930 last month that
I'd been riding since 1992. I've been out of the 'gear' loop for
years now. I'd like to build a 20 lb. Hardtail XC Mountain Bike
that's rigid, smooth, and durable (possibly with two wheel sets: one
mountain and one road -- kind of like the Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra,
but lighter).

I'd appreciate any input based on experience.

(1) Suggestions on reasonably priced lightweight frames?

(1a) How is Cannondale's current "Optimo Mountain" frame?

(1b) What about Cannondale's 2001 "CAAD5" frame? (Is there a problem
with fitting new brakes on this frame -- say, the Avid Ball Bearing
Disc Brake? I ask because I've read: "The 4 bolt rotors suck big time
if you want to get new wheels, or brakes." and "Cannondale's use of
only 4 rotor screw to secure the Hayes Discs to their hubs are not
good nor secure as the standard 6 rotor screw set-up.")

(2) Suggestions on light, durable, quality component sets?

(2a) I like a bike that doesn't require constant fiddling. Are disc
brakes worth the trouble?

Many thanks,
-Hans.

"Hans W. Gruenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy,
>
> Someone stole my trusty (heavily modified) Trek 930 last month that
> I'd been riding since 1992. I've been out of the 'gear' loop for
> years now. I'd like to build a 20 lb. Hardtail XC Mountain Bike
> that's rigid, smooth, and durable (possibly with two wheel sets: one
> mountain and one road -- kind of like the Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra,
> but lighter).
>
> I'd appreciate any input based on experience.
>
> (1) Suggestions on reasonably priced lightweight frames?
>
> (1a) How is Cannondale's current "Optimo Mountain" frame?
>
> (1b) What about Cannondale's 2001 "CAAD5" frame? (Is there a problem
> with fitting new brakes on this frame -- say, the Avid Ball Bearing
> Disc Brake? I ask because I've read: "The 4 bolt rotors suck big time
> if you want to get new wheels, or brakes." and "Cannondale's use of
> only 4 rotor screw to secure the Hayes Discs to their hubs are not
> good nor secure as the standard 6 rotor screw set-up.")
>
> (2) Suggestions on light, durable, quality component sets?
>
> (2a) I like a bike that doesn't require constant fiddling. Are disc
> brakes worth the trouble?
>
> Many thanks,
> -Hans.
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving
> posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/
> Please read the charter before posting: http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

I guess you have been out of the gear loop. I think if you shoot for low
weight you will be sacrificing durability. There are a lot of good products
to spec a fully rigid bike. But you may be spending a lot o cash to get a
sub 20 pound bike. But hey...spend that money. Your LBS could use it.

TJ
www.fatboy.s5.com
www.gvii.net/hundtoft

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 07:24:15 CST, [email protected] (Hans W. Gruenig)
wrote:

>(1a) How is Cannondale's current "Optimo Mountain" frame?

it is an excellent frame... and it is rugged as well.

>(1b) What about Cannondale's 2001 "CAAD5" frame? (Is there a problem
>with fitting new brakes on this frame -- say, the Avid Ball Bearing
>Disc Brake? I ask because I've read: "The 4 bolt rotors suck big time
>if you want to get new wheels, or brakes." and "Cannondale's use of
>only 4 rotor screw to secure the Hayes Discs to their hubs are not
>good nor secure as the standard 6 rotor screw set-up.")

caad4 and caad 5 are excellent frames... my caad 4 has magura
hydraulic disc brakes ... the newer cannondales don't use the 4 bolt
design, and use any of the standard brakes like hayes, magura, etc.

>(2) Suggestions on light, durable, quality component sets?

mid to top of the line from any of the component mfgrs will be both
light weight and durable. I like SRAM rocket twist shifters as they
are light weight and seem less likely to get bent/broken when
crashing.

>(2a) I like a bike that doesn't require constant fiddling. Are disc
>brakes worth the trouble?

definitely worth it... expecially if you ride in wet/muddy conditions.
no more fiddling than with V brakes.

charlie

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.mountain-bike.] On 2004-08-03, Charles
Beristain penned:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 07:24:15 CST, [email protected] (Hans W. Gruenig)
> wrote:
>
>>(2a) I like a bike that doesn't require constant fiddling. Are disc
>>brakes worth the trouble?

> definitely worth it... expecially if you ride in wet/muddy conditions.
> no more fiddling than with V brakes.

And unlike v-brakes, you can't forget to re-attach your front brake
after putting on your front wheel!

I recently (1-2 months ago) got a new bike with disc, and I definitely
appreciate it. My hands get less tired and it's easier to brake "just a
little bit" (brake modulation). I've had to fiddle with the caliper
adjustments a bit to get their distance set just right, but it's
extremely easy to do (two big knobs; no tools required).

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

Hans,

I recommend you look for a used Ritchey P-21 frame that has rigid geometry,
fairly common on the
used market. I can attest that these frames are extremely durable for trail
riding purposes, and you can build a very light XC bike. Perfect for smooth
fast singletrack. Also consider 2.25 width tires. Have
fun.

Robert

(I'm reposting this since my original response seems to have failed.)

Thanks to everyone for feedback. It sounds like 22 lbs or so would be
more realistic.

> caad4 and caad 5 are excellent frames... my caad 4 has magura
> hydraulic disc brakes ... the newer cannondales don't use the 4 bolt
> design, and use any of the standard brakes like hayes, magura, etc.

Are Avid Mechanical Disc Brake rotors available for cannondale CODA 4
bolt hub? Will the Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes mount ok on a 2001
CAAD 5 frame?

I ask because I spotted a 2001 Cannondale F2000si with 2 wheel sets
(road and mountain) for sale in an auction. The owner states that
the bike has only been used for training and leisure riding, that it's
never been raced or crashed, and that it's in excellent condition save two
or three tiny scratches. (Specs below.)

Any advice? What's a reasonable price to pay for it? Roughly how
much would it cost to upgrade to Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes from the
(apparently reviled) Magura Louise brakes?

Many thanks,
-Hans G.

frame: caad5 extra large
shock: fatty ultra
brakes: magura louise
derallieurs: xt front xtr rear
crankset: cannondale expert 2x9
chain: shimano 9spd
rear cassette: shimano xt, with alloy carrier and lx cassette on
mountain set.
bottom bracket: shimano dura ace, i think
wheelset mountain: sunrims disk, dt spokes coda four bolt disk hubs.
wheelset road: alex rims dt butted spokes, shimano deore and xt 6 bolt
disk hubs built at my local performance bike shop. by ted
headset: cannondale system integration
stem: profile stiffy
handlebars: easton ea70 lightweight
shifters: shimano xt
brake levers: magura louise
computer: specialized
barends: specialized
seatpost: cannondale expert, similar to thompson, similar weight.
seat: awesome trico sports split rail seat. adjustable width for all
day comfort. it really does work!!!
road tires: maxxis detonator. almost brand new.
mountain tires:  brand new hutchinson alligator gold. never even
ridden on them.
pump: cannondale

On 6 Aug 2004 14:01:59 -0700, [email protected] (Hans W. Gruenig)
wrote:

>(I'm reposting this since my original response seems to have failed.)
>
>Any advice? What's a reasonable price to pay for it? Roughly how
>much would it cost to upgrade to Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes from the
>(apparently reviled) Magura Louise brakes?

Surely you mean "downgrade"? If you're after a lightweight upgrade
from Louise, have a look at Formula B4SL.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

wrote:

>from the
>(apparently reviled) Magura Louise brakes?

"apparently reviled" is the operative phrase.... Louise are great
brakes... i think you would be trading down to go with avids.

charlie