Advice for a beginner

TheRealGarin

Jan 6, 2023
Hello there,
I'm a fit 66yo who wants to get back on a bike. I used to ride when I was a teen back in France, steel bikes...
I want to do loops around the park in winter and rides in the countryside in summer.

I'm shopping around for a carbon frame 58cm (I'm 6') under $2K and I've seen a few.
Most are 8 to +10 years old. Some have fancy groupsets.
I see a lot of traders, people who are not the original owners/riders. I'm not sure I like that.

-2013 Giant TCR Advance SL Radobank @ $1500
It has a Campagnolo 10 speed instead of the original 11 speed Shimano Ultegra that came with it.
Blue book says $1200 for what's it worth.

-2013 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Di2 @ 1650
Blue book says $1000
Are Di2 reliable after 10 years? I'd hate to fork $$$$ and have this derailleur fail.

Any particular advice?
Thank you!

It's probably a bad idea buying used carbon bikes UNLESS, you know the seller personally and he or she is the owner of the bike.

A used titanium bike would be a safer bet. And definitely steel.

Else, get a brand new one.

Hi @TheRealGarin

It's great to hear that you're interested in getting back on a bike! When it comes to purchasing a used bike, there are a few things to consider.

First, it's important to make sure that the bike has been well-maintained and is in good working condition. This means checking for wear and tear on the frame, fork, and components, as well as making sure that all parts are functioning properly.

Regarding the two bikes you mentioned, the 2013 Giant TCR Advance SL Radobank and the 2013 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Di2, both are well-regarded bikes that were high-end models in their respective years. The Giant TCR Advance SL Radobank was a top-of-the-line bike that retailed for around $4,500 when it was new, and the Cannondale SuperSix Evo Di2 was also a high-end model that retailed for around $6,500.

The Giant TCR Advance SL Radobank is a great bike and is well worth the $1,500 asking price, especially with a Campagnolo 10 speed groupset. The Cannondale SuperSix Evo Di2 is also a great bike, but it's worth noting that the Di2 electronic shifting system is known to have issues after several years of use. If you decide to go with this option, make sure to ask the seller if they have had any issues with the Di2 system and if they have done any recent maintenance on it.

Overall, both bikes are great options, but it's important to do your own research and make sure that the bike is in good working condition before making a purchase. Good luck with your search!

Thank you all.
I actually went for a 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert with 33mm tires. It's a first owner bike and in very good condition, I looked at everything very very carefully, and inspected the carbon for cracks, fissures, nicks etc. It's Shim Ultegra, and it has a front damper, disc brakes.
I paid $1500. Since I'm going to use it on tarmac around Central Park in the winter and on gravel/dirt roads in the Berkshires in the summer, it's perfect.

Hey! Congrats on your new bike, the 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert sounds like a great choice! It's awesome that you took the time to inspect it carefully, especially when it comes to checking for any cracks or damage on the carbon frame. Safety first, right?

The 33mm tires should provide you with a nice balance between stability and speed for both tarmac and gravel/dirt roads. And with Shimano Ultegra components and disc brakes, you're definitely set for a smooth ride.

Since you mentioned using it on different terrains, don't forget to adjust your tire pressure accordingly. Lower pressure can offer better traction on gravel/dirt, while higher pressure might be more suitable for tarmac. And for winter riding in Central Park, consider investing in some good-quality winter tires to ensure better grip on icy surfaces.

Overall, it sounds like your new bike is perfect for your intended rides. Just remember to maintain it regularly and keep everything clean and lubricated for optimum performance. Enjoy your cycling adventures in Central Park and the Berkshires! Happy cycling! :)