Advice for a beginning cyclist

Muckman68

Jun 24, 2011
I am considering buying a bike for a couple of reasons. First for weight loss and exercise. I am a big guy (around 260) and recently decided that I enjoy living and want to get more out of it while I'm at it. So a few months ago I quit smoking and started eating healthier. I want a bike that I can use to start riding around on regularly. I have a long term goal of riding my bike to work every day which is my other reason for wanting a bike. The commute is around 6 miles one way with some hills.

I wanted to ask the board to get some input on what would be a good starter bike for me. I'm not looking for anything too expensive but I don't want garbage either. I asked my buddy who is an avid cyclist, but he wasn't any help since he bikes 30-40 miles at a time and things I should get a $1700 bike so I can ride with him. Evidently he thinks I am the most athletic fat guy ever.

Go to your local bike shop and tell them what you want to do. They will give you a preliminary fit and suggest different bikes and let you test ride some. Do this same thing at all of the bike shops that you can reasonably go to and test ride a bunch of bikes. Whichever bike feels best to you and is within your budget is the bike to get. If there is a tie between two that you really like and are at diff rent shops, then let the shop that you liked best be the deciding factor. You will need a bike shop sometime and it is best to use the shop where you bought the bike. Customer loyalty to your LBS breeds LBS loyalty to the you as the customer. As for your buddy thinking that you need to spend a certain dollar amount to ride with him, I think that you need to find a new buddy. When you buy your bike, ask the shop about cycling clubs in your area.