Advice for a CF frame?

There is a shop near me that has the Guru fit system. With it you can dial in and "ride" a fully customized geometry without experimenting with swapping components. I know a few people who have used it and were happy with the results:

http://www.gurucycling.com/the-experience/

Quote: They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Any chance you could post a picture of your sat on the bike taken from the side?
Video would be even better. I have been meaning to tweak my fit over the winter and plan to use this software to analyze my pedal stroke and positioning.

http://www.kinovea.org/

Quote: I would suggest amputation but think it is too late. :)
Yes they already look pretty necrotic.

Originally Posted by Volnix

You're a what now?
big-smile.png

You can get a bike that fits... What am I gonna do about my legs @QtDL???
big-smile.png

Yeah this size specific design... I'm also kinda intrigued about it.
smile.png

I diagnose you with what's called "falling off your bike a lot" or "trauma" in medical terms. Looks like maybe a sprained ankle too? Lol.

Another issue on fitting and fitting services in general - pedaling on a trainer for 10-15 min then making adjustments, repeat, etc. does not work to well for me. I've done that whole process before and it doesn't compare to the real world outside. If I make an adjustment to my bike, I need a 20+ mile ride on the road to determine if it feels right or not.

Originally Posted by QtDL
I diagnose you with what's called "falling off your bike a lot" or "trauma" in medical terms. Looks like maybe a sprained ankle too? Lol.

I totally messed them up... I tripped on some rocks or something whilst carrying a backpack.

I went to the doctor 2 days later and he went angry for not going there earlier. Problem was that I could only walk with a stick for the first couple days.

Didn't do the X-rays. Because 1. I'm just so rebel
cool.png
and 2. Because I heard bone X-rays have extra radiation or something...
confused.png

Got better but still kinda hurts when un-clipping.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Another issue on fitting and fitting services in general - pedaling on a trainer for 10-15 min then making adjustments, repeat, etc. does not work to well for me. I've done that whole process before and it doesn't compare to the real world outside. If I make an adjustment to my bike, I need a 20+ mile ride on the road to determine if it feels right or not.

This is one of the many reasons I think the majority of professional fittings are a joke. It's taken me a year and a lot of miles to get my bike exactly how I want it. The fit I was given at the shop was a joke and I was making adjustments myself almost immediately. I now have a completely different riding position, 7.5mm shorter crank arms, different saddle, and narrower bars, and I'm the most comfortable I've ever been, not to mention more aero and able to put out more power. If you're in tune with what your body is telling you, you can make the adjustments yourself and end up with a better fit than what you'll be given by any guy from a shop or computer program.

I just returned from my LBS, went there just to poke around. They are no longer a Cervelo dealer for 2015
sad.png
but there are many other bike shops in my area so I'll be able to sit on one eventually. Whether this is true or not, the associate said that Cervelo has moved away from aggressive positioning (longer top tubes, shorter head tubes) in their geometry designs and have gone with more of an endurance/performance geometry (shorter head tubes, longer top tubes) which is what I would be looking for. My LBS is a huge Trek and Specialized dealer so of course they recommended the Trek bikes to me - specifically the Trek Silque and Trek Ruby line of frames. The display ones in the store had low end components, Shimano Sora/Tiagra etc. so I wouldn't buy a stock model at a high price point with those components. I also told the associate that I would always need to swap the stem and bars off any 'stock' model so I would want an option that would let me choose my components, stem, and bar size etc or if I could just buy the frameset and do the build myself. He of course recommended I do a $300 2-part fitting before deciding what bike to purchase
impatient.png
. He explained that the Trek Project One series allows me to choose exactly what frame I want and with what components and I may have the option of just ordering the frameset and fork as well. I have yet to go on their website to play around to see what's available. I'm not in any rush to get a new bike so I still plan on doing a lot of research regarding other manufacturers. You guys here have been very helpful (and nice) with all your replies!
grin.png

He of course recommended I do a $300 2-part fitting before deciding what bike to purchase
impatient.png

300USD for a fitting session? It's about 20 EUR around here (free if you buy a bike too)... What do you get for that money?

You can probably buy the sensors and the lot, to have your own fitting lab for that money.
big-smile.png

Originally Posted by Volnix

300USD for a fitting session? It's about 20 EUR around here (free if you buy a bike too)... What do you get for that money?

You can probably buy the sensors and the lot, to have your own fitting lab for that money.
big-smile.png
Yes it's ridiculous which is why I refuse it every time they mention it. It's basically a 3 hour fitting - interview, assessment, adjustments, riding on a trainer. They would adjust the bike based on all the body measurements, range of motion/flexibility assessment, cleat positioning, and video motion capture. Oh and there's no guarantee that how they adjust your bike is how you will like it. That's why I used to internet which is chock full of all sorts of free information and educated myself.
grin.png

The link below is what my LBS does for their rider specific fits:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/hub/bgfit

Yes it's ridiculous which is why I refuse it every time they mention it. It's basically a 3 hour fitting - interview, assessment, adjustments, riding on a trainer. They would adjust the bike based on all the body measurements, range of motion/flexibility assessment, cleat positioning, and video motion capture. Oh and there's no guarantee that how they adjust your bike is how you will like it. That's why I used to internet which is chock full of all sorts of free information and educated myself.
grin.png

The link below is what my LBS does for their rider specific fits:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/hub/bgfit

This picture gives me the heebeegeebees... (Met a bit too many German Lesbians.
big-smile.png
) Not reading that!
big-smile.png
(300 euro for 3 hours sounds like "Romanian", "Young", "Blond", "Kinky" etc.
big-smile.png
)

If you are in the ballpark with a frame and if you can use that frame with the stems etc without being outside of the frames specifications then maybe a torque wrench and experience would provide a nice fit on the bike...
smile.png

they recommended the Trek bikes to me - specifically the Trek Silque and Trek Ruby line of frames. The display ones in the store had low end components, Shimano Sora/Tiagra etc. so I wouldn't buy a stock model at a high price point with those components. I also told the associate that I would always need to swap the stem and bars off any 'stock' model so I would want an option that would let me choose my components, stem, and bar size etc or if I could just buy the frameset and do the build myself. He of course recommended I do a $300 2-part fitting before deciding what bike to purchase
impatient.png
. He explained that the Trek Project One series allows me to choose exactly what frame I want and with what components and I may have the option of just ordering the frameset and fork as well. I have yet to go on their website to play around to see what's available. I'm not in any rush to get a new bike so I still plan on doing a lot of research regarding other manufacturers. You guys here have been very helpful (and nice) with all your replies!
grin.png
Cervelo is not the right bike for you. It sounds like your dealer is on top of the situation, though. Good luck.

If you get to know Volnix more, those wounds are probably battle scars from being hit by ladies after strutting around in the rain wearing too tight white lycra shorts...

devil.png

tongue.png

I've seen left over chicken bones with more meat on them...

I just returned from my LBS, went there just to poke around. They are no longer a Cervelo dealer for 2015
sad.png
but there are many other bike shops in my area so I'll be able to sit on one eventually. Whether this is true or not, the associate said that Cervelo has moved away from aggressive positioning (longer top tubes, shorter head tubes) in their geometry designs and have gone with more of an endurance/performance geometry (shorter head tubes, longer top tubes) which is what I would be looking for. My LBS is a huge Trek and Specialized dealer so of course they recommended the Trek bikes to me - specifically the Trek Silque and Trek Ruby line of frames. The display ones in the store had low end components, Shimano Sora/Tiagra etc. so I wouldn't buy a stock model at a high price point with those components. I also told the associate that I would always need to swap the stem and bars off any 'stock' model so I would want an option that would let me choose my components, stem, and bar size etc or if I could just buy the frameset and do the build myself. He of course recommended I do a $300 2-part fitting before deciding what bike to purchase
impatient.png
grin.png
Getting a bar/stem and saddle combo to suit you is pretty much always a given. Unless you're keeping your existing bike to ride as well, you could always take these items off and use those. That'd work for the bars and saddle but the frame geometry may require a different stem anyway.

I really like Cervelo's philosophy of simple engineering when it comes to stuff like cable guides, being able to switch between standard and electronic cable routing for the gears, offset BB shell. It was so close between the Cannondale and the Cervelo RS and R3. That said, the new Trek Emonda looks very interesting indeed. I had a looksee at one when I was picking up my new wheels a few weeks ago. Not a clue how it rides but features like the direct mounted Dura Ace brakes looked very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

If you get to know Volnix more, those wounds are probably battle scars from being hit by ladies after strutting around in the rain wearing too tight white lycra shorts...

devil.png

tongue.png

I've seen left over chicken bones with more meat on them...

It was not bike related and yes, I was wearing a shirt of questionable aesthetics when it happened.
big-smile.png

I am finally my target weight! 80kg!
smile.png

I reached my other target weight - the "oh ****, I need to stop drinking and start riding more" weight. I was down to 70kg in 2011 but I've tacked on an extra 30kg (old race weight was 64kg). ... But Tank 7 beer is sooooo good!

Originally Posted by swampy1970

I reached my other target weight - the "oh ****, I need to stop drinking and start riding more" weight. I was down to 70kg in 2011 but I've tacked on an extra 30kg (old race weight was 64kg).

... But Tank 7 beer is sooooo good!

Lol
big-smile.png
Have you tried the "week-long-rock-camping-festival" diet?
big-smile.png

It works!
big-smile.png

I've not done the week long version but the few nights at Castle Donington monsters of rock would put on a few pounds and would leave me with borderline alcohol poisoning. The shakes... Uuggghhhh.

I've not done the week long version but the few nights at Castle Donington monsters of rock would put on a few pounds and would leave me with borderline alcohol poisoning. The shakes... Uuggghhhh.

"Eating is cheating"
big-smile.png

Don't be silly. Eating is good.

Some hotdogs I ate from a crappy grill probably had more carbon on the outside than my Cannondale.

Getting a bar/stem and saddle combo to suit you is pretty much always a given. Unless you're keeping your existing bike to ride as well, you could always take these items off and use those. That'd work for the bars and saddle but the frame geometry may require a different stem anyway.

I really like Cervelo's philosophy of simple engineering when it comes to stuff like cable guides, being able to switch between standard and electronic cable routing for the gears, offset BB shell. It was so close between the Cannondale and the Cervelo RS and R3. That said, the new Trek Emonda looks very interesting indeed. I had a looksee at one when I was picking up my new wheels a few weeks ago. Not a clue how it rides but features like the direct mounted Dura Ace brakes looked very nice.
Yeah I figured I could always scrap parts from my current bike if necessary. I don't even think I could find carbon bars in a 36 cm size anyways. It's hard enough to find regular aluminum bars in that size. The dude at my LBS said that Cervelo's R series of frames tends to crack a bit more that the S series. They had quite a few service issues regarding that. I'm not sure how I feel on the Di2 components - are they worth the extra cost? They sure look cool and the battery pack and cabling can be routed internally. I guess there's a small port under the stem or the bars that's basically a mini/micro USB used for charging.