advice for a little guy?

"What exactly is the difference between the two? They seem to be
basically the same thing to me -- pushing yourself up with your legs."

They both work the legs hard and that is why I work legs and back on
the same day. The deadlift works more muscles since the back, arms,
neck, shoulders etc also work hard. I do deadlifts first and then do
squats. There are some people who disagree with doing them both on the
same day but it works for me since I am on a back/legs and chest/tricep
split and I enjoy working very hard on leg/back days.

The other poster is right that I have posted exercises that work for
me. I would counter that the exercises are all compound exercises that
work a lot of muscles at once and have the potential to give you good
strength and mass gains. You may find other lifts that work better for
you, based on your post and goals those were my recommendations.
James

"cactus of doom" <[email protected]> writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:
>> "cactus of doom" <[email protected]> writes:

>> Bench press, squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, and farmers walks
>> hit most everything, and are easy to learn. Cleans and overhead
>> squats are good too, but they are a little trickier. Pullups are
>> good, as are dips.

> If only I had a pullup bar :(

Parks generally have something you can use, and I did something
"similar" to a pullup by throwing a towel over a door (to protect my
hands). Sometimes you just have to improvise.

>> The real secret is that the body is one piece. You don't need to
>> exercise each and every muscle individually. Simply choose
>> compound exercises that work large portions of the body at one
>> time.

> Makes sense.
>
>> Keep benching, it will happen. Chances are good that right now
>> your true weakness isn't your pecs but rather one of the other
>> assisting muscles. Interestingly enough a "burn" is not
>> particularly indicative of what is growing.

> I was wondering if that was the way to approach it: continuing the
> overall and let the weaknesses catch up rather than targettting the
> weaknesses. I guess that's more of a natural approach anyway.

You can target weaknesses to some extent. However, to really trigger
growth you have to stimulate a lot of muscle mass. If doing curls
(for example) was all it took to get huge arms then all the guys in
the gym that just do curls would have big arms (they don't).

That's why lower body dominant exercises like squats and deadlifts are
so important. They put stress on large portions of your musculature.

>> Soreness isn't the goal. Adding more weight to the bar is the goal.

> Should I be working on finding my absolute maximum and doing only a
> couple of reps? I'm sure my understanding of the body isn't
> perfect, but it just doesn't seem like lifting something once or
> twice is going to stimulate growth -- or else I would already be
> built from lugging around my 90 lb amplifier.

First of all, depending on how much you carry around your amplifier
you almost certainly have made some gains. Chances are good that it
is easier to carry now than the first time you moved it (assuming you
move it regularly). The problem is that your body doesn't really make
the adaptations that weight training forces it to make. That's why
the exercises need to get progressively more difficult to keep seeing
results. Your body has better uses for the energy that goes into
building muscle. That's especially true in your case where you have
such a hard time gaining weight. Your body is only going to build
more muscle if it is exposed to increasingly difficult tasks. If your
amplifier got 10 pounds heavier every week you would start to notice
some changes :).

As for rep and set ranges, there are tradeoffs between using heavy
weights for fewer sets (high intensity) and lower weights for more
sets (high volume). Generally speaking if you are trying to train for
maximal strength you would spend more time in the high intensity zone
(1-3 sets of 1-5 reps). Hypertrophy (muscle enlargement) is more
prevalent in the higher volume ranges (3-5 sets of 8-12 reps).
Basically the idea is that volume and intensity work on a sliding
scale. Sometimes you want to concentrate on intensity, sometimes on
volume, and sometimes you want to be in the middle. It all depends on
your goals, and your current progress.

That's why writing stuff down is so important. These things need to
be dialed in for the individual.

>> Why don't you try eating more times a day first and see what that
>> does. You also might consider sharing what you are currently doing
>> with us. If you don't have anyone helping you with your workout
>> there are almost certainly things that you could do better.

> I try to eat as often as possible, but for some reason my stomach
> acts like a really sensitive valve. As soon as I stop eating,
> sometimes even if just for a minute or two (say, engaging in
> conversation), my appetite fades. It's as if my stomach is saying,
> "hey, i've got some work to do now, would you leave me alone?" So
> my solution is to shove as much food down there as possible at a
> time, since no matter how much I eat, I won't be the least bit
> hungry again for a while.

All things considered you could have worse problems :). The fact that
you have made gains using weights is certainly encouraging. For most
folks, however, diet is huge. Maybe when you start adding weight
you'll find your appetite. Honestly, I don't know. A huge part of
the reason that I lift is that I didn't like being overweight, and I
didn't want to give up peanut butter sandwiches.

I might not be the right guy to ask about nutrition :).

> Right now I'm on a four day cycle:
> day 1: curls, 20 lbs., 6 reps, 3 sets
> shoulder press, 20 lbs., 15 reps, 2 sets
> triceps extension, 20 lbs, 10 reps, 3 set
> day 2: bench press, 40 lbs, 8 reps, 3 sets
> flies, but I can't really do them right anyway
> curls, 15 lbs, 10 reps
> extension, 15 lbs, 10 reps (the "warm ups" i mentioned
> earlier)
> day 3: squats, 40 pounds, 10 reps, 2 sets
> weighted curls, as many as i can do
> same "warm ups"
> day 4: rest

That's a lot of curls, and not nearly enough big compound movements.
You also aren't giving yourself much rest.

> I know the weights are really low, but any more and i can't do the
> moves properly (for right now; i'm increasing steadily). I go until
> my muscles are too tight to go any more, but apparently it's not
> enough to feel the next day (except the squats).

Everyone starts somewhere, if you don't get hurt, and you keep lifting
heavy stuff you'll get stronger.

> However, I'm going to change this quite a bit, seeing as everyone
> recommends compound excersizes.
> Thanks!

The good news is that its not really that hard to get strong. The
simple formula is Eat, Lift, Sleep, Repeat.

Jason

David wrote:

> Let me 'splain something to you, genius. 'eating like a pig' is not a
> technical term that is measureable. He could *think* he is eating like a pig
> but still not consuming more calories than he burns. Get it? So he has to
> *know* he is not *only* eating like a pig, but eating enough calories over
> maintenance. Eating like a pig may only be giving him maintenance for all we
> know. Plus eating like a pig may not be giving him the nutrition he needs as
> he mentions soda, chips, fast food etc.

Let's call it a rough average of 3000 calories a day, mostly beer,
milk, cheese, pasta, meat, and potatoes. I know it's a lot of junk,
but it makes it easy to put down a lot of calories.

Jason Earl wrote:

> It's not any weirder than your eating habits :). Pushups are a good
> exercises for beginners. If you get winded before your muscles get
> tired then either you are pretty strong relative to your weight or you
> aren't in particularly good cardiovascular shape. How many pushups
> can you do before you get winded?
>
> Jason

What's weird about beer and pizza? I'm in college! :)
I'd say I can do maybe ten before I'm really sucking air; at 15 i'm
fully flushed, and by 20 I'm on my back panting like a dog.

Jason Earl wrote:

> > If only I had a pullup bar :(

> Parks generally have something you can use, and I did something
> "similar" to a pullup by throwing a towel over a door (to protect my
> hands). Sometimes you just have to improvise.

It's a little cold to go to the park now. Didn't that mess up the
door?

> As for rep and set ranges, there are tradeoffs between using heavy
> weights for fewer sets (high intensity) and lower weights for more
> sets (high volume). Generally speaking if you are trying to train for
> maximal strength you would spend more time in the high intensity zone
> (1-3 sets of 1-5 reps). Hypertrophy (muscle enlargement) is more
> prevalent in the higher volume ranges (3-5 sets of 8-12 reps).
> Basically the idea is that volume and intensity work on a sliding
> scale. Sometimes you want to concentrate on intensity, sometimes on
> volume, and sometimes you want to be in the middle. It all depends on
> your goals, and your current progress.

Seems like maybe my best bet would be to start with high intensity, and
as I become able to lift real weight, switch to a volume approach
(since my real goal is, after all, looking bigger)?

> > I try to eat as often as possible, but for some reason my stomach
> > acts like a really sensitive valve. As soon as I stop eating,
> > sometimes even if just for a minute or two (say, engaging in
> > conversation), my appetite fades. It's as if my stomach is saying,
> > "hey, i've got some work to do now, would you leave me alone?" So
> > my solution is to shove as much food down there as possible at a
> > time, since no matter how much I eat, I won't be the least bit
> > hungry again for a while.

> All things considered you could have worse problems :).

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I get that one often enough. I know.

>The fact that
> you have made gains using weights is certainly encouraging. For most
> folks, however, diet is huge. Maybe when you start adding weight
> you'll find your appetite.

It is starting to increase a little bit. Yesterday I ate two large
plates of spaghetti and was still able to walk afterwards :)

> > Right now I'm on a four day cycle:
> > day 1: curls, 20 lbs., 6 reps, 3 sets
> > shoulder press, 20 lbs., 15 reps, 2 sets
> > triceps extension, 20 lbs, 10 reps, 3 set
> > day 2: bench press, 40 lbs, 8 reps, 3 sets
> > flies, but I can't really do them right anyway
> > curls, 15 lbs, 10 reps
> > extension, 15 lbs, 10 reps (the "warm ups" i mentioned
> > earlier)
> > day 3: squats, 40 pounds, 10 reps, 2 sets
> > weighted curls, as many as i can do
> > same "warm ups"
> > day 4: rest

> That's a lot of curls, and not nearly enough big compound movements.
> You also aren't giving yourself much rest.

I guess that's a question I should've articulated better: is resting
that important if I don't even feel like I worked out? Should I maybe
just keep pounding at it until I find a plan that WILL leave me feeling
it the next day?

JamesG wrote:
> "What exactly is the difference between the two? They seem to be
> basically the same thing to me -- pushing yourself up with your legs."

..

> The other poster is right that I have posted exercises that work for
> me. I would counter that the exercises are all compound exercises that
> work a lot of muscles at once and have the potential to give you good
> strength and mass gains. You may find other lifts that work better for
> you, based on your post and goals those were my recommendations.
> James

I understand. But then, just about any exercise should work for me for
now, since I'm just about completely undeveloped.

"cactus of doom" <[email protected]> writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:
>
>> It's not any weirder than your eating habits :). Pushups are a good
>> exercises for beginners. If you get winded before your muscles get
>> tired then either you are pretty strong relative to your weight or you
>> aren't in particularly good cardiovascular shape. How many pushups
>> can you do before you get winded?
>>
>> Jason

> What's weird about beer and pizza? I'm in college! :) I'd say I
> can do maybe ten before I'm really sucking air; at 15 i'm fully
> flushed, and by 20 I'm on my back panting like a dog.

What's weird is that you can eat 3K calories a day and not gain
weight. It's not weird that a 23 year old drinks beer.

Jason

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:54:08 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Let me 'splain something to you, genius. 'eating like a pig' is not a
>technical term that is measureable. He could *think* he is eating like a pig
>but still not consuming more calories than he burns. Get it? So he has to
>*know* he is not *only* eating like a pig, but eating enough calories over
>maintenance. Eating like a pig may only be giving him maintenance for all we
>know. Plus eating like a pig may not be giving him the nutrition he needs as
>he mentions soda, chips, fast food etc.

Doesn't matter, you're still trying to turn this into a eating thing,
when nobody BUT YOU said anything about his diet being defecit in
anything.

Retard.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:41:06 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>of course diet matters in his case as in every case -
>diet is everything (nearly)
>
>"TBR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:40:58 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Try gaining muscle with a calorie deficit diet if you think eating doesn't
>>>matter - eating is everything (nearly)

>> Where'd I say that idiot? He said "I eat like a pig", so no further
>> comment on diet was required. You turned it into a stupid/stupider
>> match. I clearly said "diet won't make a difference in this case" and
>> in no way suggested a "calorie defecit diet".
>> Get a grip, and try to sober up before you post next time.

"cactus of doom" <[email protected]> writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:
>
>> > If only I had a pullup bar :(

>> Parks generally have something you can use, and I did something
>> "similar" to a pullup by throwing a towel over a door (to protect my
>> hands). Sometimes you just have to improvise.

> It's a little cold to go to the park now. Didn't that mess up the
> door?

It's a sturdy metal door in my office building.

>> As for rep and set ranges, there are tradeoffs between using heavy
>> weights for fewer sets (high intensity) and lower weights for more
>> sets (high volume). Generally speaking if you are trying to train
>> for maximal strength you would spend more time in the high
>> intensity zone (1-3 sets of 1-5 reps). Hypertrophy (muscle
>> enlargement) is more prevalent in the higher volume ranges (3-5
>> sets of 8-12 reps). Basically the idea is that volume and
>> intensity work on a sliding scale. Sometimes you want to
>> concentrate on intensity, sometimes on volume, and sometimes you
>> want to be in the middle. It all depends on your goals, and your
>> current progress.

> Seems like maybe my best bet would be to start with high intensity,
> and as I become able to lift real weight, switch to a volume
> approach (since my real goal is, after all, looking bigger)?

With the amount of weight that you can move now that's probably a good
bet. You need to get stronger.

>> > I try to eat as often as possible, but for some reason my stomach
>> > acts like a really sensitive valve. As soon as I stop eating,
>> > sometimes even if just for a minute or two (say, engaging in
>> > conversation), my appetite fades. It's as if my stomach is
>> > saying, "hey, i've got some work to do now, would you leave me
>> > alone?" So my solution is to shove as much food down there as
>> > possible at a time, since no matter how much I eat, I won't be
>> > the least bit hungry again for a while.

>> All things considered you could have worse problems :).

> Yeah, yeah, yeah... I get that one often enough. I know.

All of us have to make do with the cards we've been dealt. I don't
mind being a bigger guy, but there was a time when I would have loved

>>The fact that you have made gains using weights is certainly
>>encouraging. For most folks, however, diet is huge. Maybe when you
>>start adding weight you'll find your appetite.

> It is starting to increase a little bit. Yesterday I ate two large
> plates of spaghetti and was still able to walk afterwards :)

See, progress :).

>> > Right now I'm on a four day cycle:
>> > day 1: curls, 20 lbs., 6 reps, 3 sets
>> > shoulder press, 20 lbs., 15 reps, 2 sets
>> > triceps extension, 20 lbs, 10 reps, 3 set
>> > day 2: bench press, 40 lbs, 8 reps, 3 sets
>> > flies, but I can't really do them right anyway
>> > curls, 15 lbs, 10 reps
>> > extension, 15 lbs, 10 reps (the "warm ups" i mentioned
>> > earlier)
>> > day 3: squats, 40 pounds, 10 reps, 2 sets
>> > weighted curls, as many as i can do
>> > same "warm ups"
>> > day 4: rest

>> That's a lot of curls, and not nearly enough big compound movements.
>> You also aren't giving yourself much rest.

> I guess that's a question I should've articulated better: is resting
> that important if I don't even feel like I worked out? Should I maybe
> just keep pounding at it until I find a plan that WILL leave me feeling
> it the next day?

Resting is important. However, it is possible that with the weights
that you have been using that resting wasn't critical. Here's a
little workout that I borrowed from Dan John's free ebook:

http://www.danjohn.org/

It's not a perfect beginner's workout, but it's not bad and it
demonstrates the sort of thing that is likely to work. It is also
dead simple, and it doesn't take too long. You do the same workout
three times a week with at least a day of rest between workouts.

Front Squat:
8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps
Military Press:
8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps
Power Clean
8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps

You clean the bar before doing the front squats and the military
presses and so the bar always starts on the ground and you end up
doing a lot of power cleans. When you can get all 18 reps at a
certain weight in one of the exercises then you bump the weight up
next time.

The problem, in my opinion, with this workout is that power cleans are
trickier to learn than squats or deadlifts, and you probably could do
with a little better exercise selection. For example, if you are only
going to do one press then the military press is probably not the one
to do. It's a workout that is really geared towards moving you
towards Olympic lifting, or for folks that only have a bar available.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with another beginner workout
that requires a minimal amount of equipment.

Jason

"cactus of doom" <> Your input is appreciated!

Find yourself a gigantic negro boyfriend and let him cum in your bunghole
every day. That will widen out your hips and make your frame wider, and then
the pounds will come on easy. Also the negro sperm is full of valuable
protein and nutrients that will help with your bodybuilding program.
Swallowing his load is even better, but first make sure he has widened you
out.

Jason Earl <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> Seems like maybe my best bet would be to start with high intensity,
>> and as I become able to lift real weight, switch to a volume
>> approach (since my real goal is, after all, looking bigger)?

> With the amount of weight that you can move now that's probably a good
> bet. You need to get stronger.

Mmm, wouldn't do that, if by "high intensity" you mean lifting the max you
can for 5 reps or under. Get some conditioning in first, before you push
yourself hard. Look at HST -- www.hypertrophy-specific.com -- for ideas
about rep ranges and exercise selection. You don't necessarily want to do
the routine as spec'd until you've been lifting some months but you could
follow the outline of it--start with 15's at an easy weight, increase weight
slowly until they are hard, reduce the reps to 10, start increasing again
slowly, etc.

Hugh

--
Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
chocolate. ("Ladi")

genius
"TBR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Retard.
>

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:41:06 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>of course diet matters in his case as in every case -
>>diet is everything (nearly)
>>
>>"TBR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> Where'd I say that idiot? He said "I eat like a pig", so no further
>>> comment on diet was required. You turned it into a stupid/stupider
>>> match. I clearly said "diet won't make a difference in this case" and
>>> in no way suggested a "calorie defecit diet".
>>> Get a grip, and try to sober up before you post next time.

"cactus of doom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I'm an extremely small 23 year old guy. I've never been able to
> gain weight. At all. At 6 feet tall, I spent the past 8 years stuck
> at 125 lbs., binge or purge. Eat more, gain nothing; eat less, lose
> nothing. Strange.
>
> I got my hands on some freeweights a couple weeks ago, and suddenly up
> I'm to 135. Still tiny, but a great stride for me. And I'm noticably
> stronger (though still quite weak).
>
> A bit of a problem I have, though, is that I don't really have any idea
> what I'm doing. I try googling training advice, but the advice I find
> is geared towards guys who can already lift appreciable weights. I
> don't know what my max is, as I have no one to spot for me, but suffice
> it to say that I couldn't bench 100 lbs if my life depended on it. For
> other exercises, I put 20 lbs on my dumbells, and that's about my limit
> as far as being able to make a smooth, stable motion right now. Other
> than that, I don't know how to utilize freeweights to work most of my
> body.
>
> My upper body is filling out remarkably well, I'd say, except I can't
> get my chest to do anything. I try bench presses and flies, but I
> exhaust my arms and shoulders -- especially the shoulders -- and feel
> nothing in my pecs. I got to use a friend's bowflex the other day, and
> my pecs were burning up, but I can't count on seeing that thing too
> often. I really need to fill out my chest, because right now it's
> little more than a thin lining of skin over some ribs. Not nice to
> look at.
>
> I don't know why, but it's really hard for me to get a fulfilling
> workout. I go until I can't go any more, but I almost never feel
> anything the next day (except after doing squats -- I definitely feel
> those). Is this bad? My current solution is to do a few "warm up"
> reps on off days, to keep the muscles stimulated, but not overtaxed.
> Good idea? Bad?
>
> Pathetic as it is, being up to 135 is miracle for me, and I'm thinking
> maybe I've finally found my way, so I want to maximize it. The sole
> aim of my diet is calories: beer, soda, milk, pasta, pizza, meat,
> burgers, taco bell, etc., and the disgustingly high fat content is not
> an issue as I have about as little body fat as a living person can
> have. My question is, given that my stomach space is extremely limited
> (it's a feat of endurance for me just to eat two substantial meals a
> day), should I look into some kind of powder? I have a friend who
> swears up and down that liquid calories aren't worth half of what solid
> calories are, and he managed to put on 30 pounds.
>
> Your input is appreciated!

OK, I'm going to address your diet (others have some what but since I have
experienced what you're going through first hand.....)

EAT MORE! Don't worry about how many calories you're consuming compared to
someone else, if you're not gaining weight you're not eating enough, period.
Once you find YOUR caloric needs you can adjust to minimize fat gain while
maximizing muscle gains. At this point though, if you're not gain any
weight, you're not eating enough. I'd suggest each week or so you increase
your daily caloric intake 200-300 until you notice that you're putting on
fat (you don't have to get fat to notice!).

Your diet could use a lot of work. First, the foods you're eating are far
from ideal. At the minimum, try to replace some of the junk food with good
nutritious foods. Also, make sure you're getting enough protein (every day,
not just on lifting days). Protein shakes are probably going to be
necessary to reach your protein intake goal since your in college. You
mentioned not being able to eat more and feeling full pretty quickly. What
you need to do is eat more often (4-5/day would be a good number to shoot
for). They don't have to be huge feasts, but try to get down what you can.
Another thing to consider is a weight gainer (basically, a high
sugar/calorie protein shake) like NLarge. It's an easy way to get hundreds
of calories without feeling overly full.

You'll find that if you're not getting enough protein & calories your
workouts will result in you getting stronger but not bigger. For long term
success your diet needs to be addressed! If not, you won't see the results
you should (and want) and that leads to lack of motivation and/or injury
(i.e. overtraining because you think working out more will solve the calorie
deficit problem).

Good luck!

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 03:34:27 GMT, "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"cactus of doom" <> Your input is appreciated!
>>

>Find yourself a gigantic negro boyfriend and let him cum in your bunghole
>every day. That will widen out your hips and make your frame wider, and then
>the pounds will come on easy. Also the negro sperm is full of valuable
>protein and nutrients that will help with your bodybuilding program.
>Swallowing his load is even better, but first make sure he has widened you
>out.

Interesting post...sorta.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:23:18 GMT, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>OK, I'm going to address your diet (others have some what but since I have
>experienced what you're going through first hand.....)
>
>EAT MORE!

Hey numbnutz, he tried that already. Go sign up for "reading
comprehension 101".

Quoting TBR <[email protected]>:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 03:34:27 GMT, "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>"cactus of doom" <> Your input is appreciated!
>>>

>>Find yourself a gigantic negro boyfriend and let him cum in your bunghole
>>every day. That will widen out your hips and make your frame wider, and then
>>the pounds will come on easy. Also the negro sperm is full of valuable
>>protein and nutrients that will help with your bodybuilding program.
>>Swallowing his load is even better, but first make sure he has widened you
>>out.

> Interesting post...sorta.

He would like to make this group look bad, so that his list would
stand out like an epitome of civil discussion, in comparison:

"Join the Pump Iron list for a non-denominational discussion of
Bodybuilding and Weightlifting"

http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/msg/bec865829f6f6887

I have a lot more sympathy for your battle against musclebound
thwacks, Bill.

On 13 Jan 2006 20:10:42 +0100, NYC BicepMonsterNOSPAM
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a lot more sympathy for your battle against musclebound
>thwacks, Bill.

Actually I'm making peace with most of them. I don't want to ANNOY
them, and get the chair.

"TBR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:23:18 GMT, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >OK, I'm going to address your diet (others have some what but since I

have
> >experienced what you're going through first hand.....)
> >
> >EAT MORE!

> Hey numbnutz, he tried that already. Go sign up for "reading
> comprehension 101".

No he didn't, at least not like he should. A few years ago I could have
written his post to describe me. It always seemed like no matter how much I
ate I couldn't gain weight (fat or muscle). I started to track my caloric
intake and was shocked to find out that while I thought I was "eating like a
horse" it really wasn't that many calories. Sure, to gain I ended up having
to eat more calories than most people my size but it wasn't impossible.

If he wants to gain weight he needs to find out at what his caloric intake
needs to be (and in his case it might be 3500+ calories/day). So while some
people say they can't gain weight no matter what they do I disagree. Sure,
it might be harder than the next guy but it is not impossible. Also, most
people (IMHO) tend to have a "warped" sense of calorie counts. What seems
to them like "eating like a horse" might really only be 2200 calories/day
(and that's junk calories, not from good nutritional sources).

So, it boils down to this:
If you're not gain weight (and that's your goal), you need to eat more (or
do less, and cutting your activity level down is normally not recommended).
Now, if your gaining weight and it's mostly fat and not muscle than that's a
different issue, but if you're not gaining anything, you need to consume
more. I don't care if he's eating 4000 calories/day, if he's not gaining
weight (be it fat or muscle) than he simply isn't consuming enough calories
(unless there's some freak medical condition that he hasn't mentioned).