Advice for a Solid Bike

Braden88

Mar 21, 2010
Hello, i am in the market for a good bike for cycling. I would prefer a road bike for trip and inner city cycling.

alot of what i find is pretty expensive, but i am not a professional biker, so i dont think i want to pay the big bucks. i want a bike that shows quality higher than the department store stuff, and 1 that is versatile to more than just pavement.

my price range is $1000 and under. i have been told that the Kona Jake is a great bike to get at $1000, but i still feel that there must be a bike that does the job at a smaller price.

Welcome Braden.

In short, you're right, there are a lot of quality bicycles to choose from for well under $1K.

Having said that, probably the most consistently offered advice for someone just starting out is to make sure the bike they pick (regardless of price) fits. A local shop is probably the best source of help on this, but there are plenty of sources avail on the web to give you a working idea of what size bike will work best for you. The fine tuning aspects of fitting won't be there on the web, but you'll get a general idea of frame size.

The next choice for you will probably be whether to buy new or used. As a first time buyer myself just a year or so ago, I found spending some time at a shop and buying new was a better choice for me--in addition to the fitting stuff, I got to ask tons of questions about what made one bike more expensive than another, differences in frame materials, etc..

Style of bike (road, trail or mountain, hybrid, commuter, etc.) is another important choice. Most bike styles emphasize a certain aspect of riding over another--for example, road bikes tend to emphasize speed and efficiency, trail bikes emphasize usability on less than perfect riding surfaces, etc..

You'll find, in general, there are a number of large manufacturers--you mention Kona, but you can add Cannondale, Trek, Schwinn, Specialized, and lots of others-- who all offer competing bikes at specific price points, with decent bikes starting at around $400-$500 and moving up to the $thousands. But between $500 and $1K you're looking at a number of well-made bikes with decent components that will meet your needs for some time to come.

IMHO none of these manufacturers are selling crappy bikes--the differences in price points essentially come down to weight and durability of their frame materials, and to a much larger extent, components.

Most of the popular cycling magazines have their Spring buyer's issues on newstands right now--it might be worth picking a couple of them up, or maybe just hit their websites and check out their reviews of bikes in the $500-$1K range. You'll be surprised at how many nice bikes are out there in your range.

Last thing I'll offer (other than an apology for droning on ;-), is budget a few bucks for some accessories--a helmet, maybe some padded cycling gloves, shorts, etc., that will make your riding safer and more comfortable.

Happy hunting!

Bill

Drop bar road bike or flat bar road bike? I just bought a Jamis Coda, and it is a great bike.... They have 4 models from $550-$1000. I added aero bars and bar ends, I was always a drop bar guy, and will buy a drop bar soon, but the Coda is great, I like it a lot.

2010 JAMIS BICYCLES - CODA COMP

thanks for te input guys it definetly helps to have some knowledge behind my future bike purhase. i live in calgary and i have been looking at different options for myself. i havent decided yet if i just want a commute bike or a full road bike. i plan to do alot of inner city biking but i also would like to get on some roads in the future. all in all here are some things i have been looking at.

the 3 best shops/websites in calgary that i found are as follows
Bike Bros. Cochrane bicycle shop. Calgary cycle Destination. Road, Mountain & BMX!
http://thebikeshop.com/
Welcome to Bowcycle.com

the bikebros website is very informative and has alot of good choices. 1 bike i was interested in on thebikeshop was this it looks like a good bike, but i am not sure how comfortable a road bike would be on a leisurely bike ride. The Kona Jake is also a good bike but a bit on the expensive side.

the Jamis Coda looks like a good bike at a solid price and i think there is a dealer here in calgary. i suppose, all in all, i am looking for a good starter bike that i could possibly upgrade parts in the future. i would definitely like comfort as a focus point but also a bike that is versatile between road and city. any more suggestions would be great

Braden88 said:
Hello, i am in the market for a good bike for cycling. I would prefer a road bike for trip and inner city cycling.

alot of what i find is pretty expensive, but i am not a professional biker, so i dont think i want to pay the big bucks. i want a bike that shows quality higher than the department store stuff, and 1 that is versatile to more than just pavement.

my price range is $1000 and under. i have been told that the Kona Jake is a great bike to get at $1000, but i still feel that there must be a bike that does the job at a smaller price.
If 'I' were looking for a new bike & had a limted budget then I would also give serious consideration to the 2010 JAMIS BICYCLES - CODA...

The MSRP for the base model is only $550.

If you were inclined, you could update the bike at some point the future with DROP bars + a pair of Campagnolo shifters & cantilever brake calipers for only a couple of hundred dollars.

I now have the best of both worlds, just picked up an older Cannondale fat tube 57cm aluminum bike tonight. Still keeping My Jamis Coda, as Alfeng says it is an awesome bike, and for the price it can't be beat, The Trek 7.2FX I was going to buy for $200 more was not as good.

1. Buy used. 2. Make it a higher quality steel bike. 3. NO FANCY group set and NO disk brakes. Shimano Ultegra or even 105 which I have found to be more reliable than Ultegra. Do not believe the bunk that you have to have a light bike. I can't tell the difference between a 22 lb bike and a 16 lb bike.. Sure the lighter bike climbs very slightly faster but are you in a hurry?

Reactions: steve
Welcome Braden.

In short, you're right, there are a lot of quality bicycles to choose from for well under $1K.

Having said that, probably the most consistently offered advice for someone just starting out is to make sure the bike they pick (regardless of price) fits. A local shop is probably the best source of help on this, but there are plenty of sources avail on the web to give you a working idea of what size bike will work best for you. The fine tuning aspects of fitting won't be there on the web, but you'll get a general idea of frame size.

The next choice for you will probably be whether to buy new or used. As a first time buyer myself just a year or so ago, I found spending some time at a shop and buying new was a better choice for me--in addition to the fitting stuff, I got to ask tons of questions about what made one bike more expensive than another, differences in frame materials, etc..

Style of bike (road, trail or mountain, hybrid, commuter, etc.) is another important choice. Most bike styles emphasize a certain aspect of riding over another--for example, road bikes tend to emphasize speed and efficiency, trail bikes emphasize usability on less than perfect riding surfaces, etc..

You'll find, in general, there are a number of large manufacturers--you mention Kona, but you can add Cannondale, Trek, Schwinn, Specialized, and lots of others-- who all offer competing bikes at specific price points, with decent bikes starting at around $400-$500 and moving up to the $thousands. But between $500 and $1K you're looking at a number of well-made bikes with decent components that will meet your needs for some time to come.

IMHO none of these manufacturers are selling crappy bikes--the differences in price points essentially come down to weight and durability of their frame materials, and to a much larger extent, components.

Most of the popular cycling magazines have their Spring buyer's issues on newstands right now--it might be worth picking a couple of them up, or maybe just hit their websites and check out their reviews of bikes in the $500-$1K range. You'll be surprised at how many nice bikes are out there in your range.

Last thing I'll offer (other than an apology for droning on ;-), is budget a few bucks for some accessories--a helmet, maybe some padded cycling gloves, shorts, etc., that will make your riding safer and more comfortable.

Happy hunting!

Bill
thanks for sharing this information.

I can only afford bikes under $500. Decent bikes can be found in this price range if you're looking for hardtail or even fully rigid MTB. The first thing I'd look for is having alloy cassette hubs. That is fundamental if you plan on upgrading your bike bit by bit as years go by. And then having 10 speed cassette or better.

The cheap end of MTBs will have better components than road bikes at the same price. Hard tail MTBs make excellent commuter bikes.

People usually only buy expensive road bikes to keep up with a fast group ride. That comes with expensive road kit too. But if you plan mostly solo road rides or with modest groups who don't have the need for speed, even MTB would be OK for road rides with tires better suited for road. Even better if the MTB is fully rigid with rigid fork (no suspension).

Hey there! If you're looking to build stamina and power in cycling, I'd recommend incorporating interval training and hill repeats into your routine. They're great for building endurance and strength. Keep pushing those pedals!

The Kona Jake is a solid choice, but have you considered a cyclocross bike? They're built for versatility, tackling everything from pavement to gravel. Check out the Surly Cross-Check or the Jamis Renegade. Both offer quality components and should fit your budget. And remember, expensive doesn't always mean better. It's all about finding the right bike for your needs. ;)