advice for another newbie?

movieclockstar

Feb 26, 2007
I've spent a good portion of the afternoon leafing through the forum here and appreciate all of the knowledge I've managed to soak up, but I'm still a little undecided what route to go in choosing my first "good" bike.

I rode casually growing up and through college, where I went through a number of lower-end bikes. As a result, I've been bike-less for the last several years and am now looking to get into it, this time a little more seriously. I've ridden my dad's Trek Navigator 300 a fair amount, my only experience in recent years. After visiting my LBS and doing some research online, I'm still torn by what sort of bike would suit me best.

My riding intentions are primarily for exercise and pleasure. I currently have no ambitions for 30+ mile rides, and no extremely rough off-roading. That said, I do expect to find myself in a variety of environments. Primarily road/shoulder riding, but also some bike paths, the occasional dirt road, and maybe even some trail riding, and also a little commuting. Though it'll mostly be paved riding, I feel uneasy about limiting off-road options, because I really don't know where I want to head with the sport yet.

I'm looking primarily at Treks, since that's what is easiest to come by in my (small) town. I'm very interested in the 7300, because the hybrid might balance my riding needs. But then, I wonder if I should look more closely at the FX series since I'll be doing a lot of road riding. And, since I'm familiar with the Navigator and because it provides some off-road options, I'm looking at the 3.0 a bit.

Again, I'm a complete greenhorn here and any advice at all would be much appreciated, and help me get started out. I'm already excited to get riding a bit when the weather improves! Thanks in advance.

Consider a folding bike. Downtube sells a decent inexpensive bike on eBay and their website. Xooter Swift is more expensive for a better bike. Other fine brands are Dahon, Birdy, and Bike Friday.

If there is a bike maintenance course offered near you take it.

Thanks, but a folding bike isn't among my current considerations. I think I've narrowed it down to the Trek 7300 or the 7.3 FX, I'm just not sure which one yet. So, experts... which would you suggest, given my lack of experience and stated intentions?

if you're concerned about "limiting you options" as far as off-road goes, i wouldn't look at the 7300 to fill that need; it could take the gravel "rail-trails" that are cropping up as a restorative use of old railroad lines; it might take the occasional dirt road (although in my area, dirt roads are best left to mountain bikes), but i wouldn't count on it.

the 7.5 doesn't look like much for off-road, either; that said, if these are the two you've narrowed it to, get the 7.5. not saying either are poorly made -- just not sure if they're suitable for what you're exploring. but given the choice, i'm leaning toward the 7.5.

I don't really expect to do serious off-roading. The worst average conditions I expect to endure are some old, cracked pavement, some dirt/gravel roads, maybe some gravelly shoulders, and occassionally cutting across some grass. No aspirations of log and stump jumping. I just don't really want to go to a full-blown mountain bike or anything because I'd never use it to it's full capabilities.

movieclockstar said:
I don't really expect to do serious off-roading. The worst average conditions I expect to endure are some old, cracked pavement, some dirt/gravel roads, maybe some gravelly shoulders, and occassionally cutting across some grass. No aspirations of log and stump jumping. I just don't really want to go to a full-blown mountain bike or anything because I'd never use it to it's full capabilities.

My 2 cents: You could go with a Mountainbike though... A Hardtail with hybrid-style tires for less rolling resistance. That's what I had in Montreal to get through the city and it served me well. I paid 300 Can$ for a Trek (i believe a 3100) in 2003. Beleive me... Montreal streets are pretty close to "offroad" conditions :D