Advice for beginner

SSSteele

Oct 26, 2009
Hello all...

I'm in the process of moving to a new city and in doing so...have decided to pick up mountain biking as a hobby. To be honest, I've always wanted to do it but just never pulled the trigger.

I've been looking at a lot of different bikes online and to be honest, have no clue what I'm looking at...

I'd really like to stay in the $300-$400 range. I currently have my eyes set on the Specialized Hardrock brand. Does anybody know the difference btwn the hardrock and hardrock sport?

Just looking for anyone's advice on good beginner bikes. Any fellow beginners and what you may have purchased...?

Thanks in advance :)

SSSteele said:
Hello all...

I'm in the process of moving to a new city and in doing so...have decided to pick up mountain biking as a hobby. To be honest, I've always wanted to do it but just never pulled the trigger.

I've been looking at a lot of different bikes online and to be honest, have no clue what I'm looking at...

I'd really like to stay in the $300-$400 range. I currently have my eyes set on the Specialized Hardrock brand. Does anybody know the difference btwn the hardrock and hardrock sport?

Just looking for anyone's advice on good beginner bikes. Any fellow beginners and what you may have purchased...?

Thanks in advance :)
Don't get anything much cheaper than acera (brakes and shifters), and do some online fit calculators if you won't be fitted by a shop. The current trend is toward a slightly smaller bike and I must say they are much more fun to whip around on tight singletrack.

I don't know much about specialized except that they will fit you for a saddle. An "ass hatchet" i.e. excessively narrow saddle, can really take the fun out of riding. In general I doubt there is too much differentiating one brand from another technologically speaking, especially in the entry level range. I am sure the difference between the hardrock and the sport is in the standard equipment but don't know what it is. If you'd like to study the brochures and cite the stated difference, I am sure someone would help you out with what it boils down to in terms of performance.

First be sure the bike ain't to big.
Consider a used mtb and spend $150 on new chain, cassette, chainring, cables. Have a experienced mtb rider look for a bike that onced costed thousands but now less then 100.
The Specialized Hardrock is not a bad bike I guess. But the 2010 model is already $520. Maybe you can have a discount for last years model.
The difference between the Hardrock and Hardrock Sport could be the hubs and brakes. ( v-brake vs disc).