Advice for buying a cheapish MTB....

stephen_speed

Dec 16, 2003
Hi All :)

I've been looking on the internet for advice about bikes, and I was wondering if anyone here could help me please.

I'm simply looking for a cheapish (£150-£200) bike to get to work everyday. Rather than a road bike, I would prefer a MTB because I don't like thin tires and because MTBs seem to be more durable with potholes and such.

I guess that I'm probably looking for a bike with 21-Gears (I guess 24 isn't realistic for this price) and V-Brakes (I'm not bothered about Disc Brakes). I'm 6'1", so I guess I'm looking for a 'large' bike - does this mean 26" wheels and 21" frame?

I went into a couple of cycle shops today - it's a bit bewildering for a newcomer like me. There were obviously a large number of bikes matching the above specifications made by different manufacturers - how can I tell whether a bike is made 'well' or 'badly'? I'm wondering whether it's best to choose a bike by it's brand name. For example, I've heard that Raleighs/DiamondBacks are durable whereas makes such as Ammaco fall to bits quickly. Is this a good way of choosing a bike? If so, then what other makes are notably good or notably bad?

I've also been looking for bikes on the internet. For example, would something like the following be good....?

http://www.raleighbikesmailorder.com/products.php?plid=1/0/2/304

Any advice that anyone can give me would be much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Check into a gently used bike. For the same money you'd spend on a cheap new bike you can get a mid-range used bike.