Advice for buying a new road bike

feldo

Jan 24, 2010
Hi Guys

I am looking for some advice as I'm about to buy my first decent road bike. I have a budget of $1000 AUD which is a little bit flexible.

I ride about 20-25 kilometres a day going to and from work in Melbourne and Id like to go on longer rides on the weekends, say 50 kilometres or so.

Ive spoken to a few bike stores about my situation and they all say I'm looking at $1000 AUD to get an entry level road bike

I have been looking on all the websites also which seems to indicate that $1000 AUD is the general starting range, so I'm basically after some suggestions from some guys who are in the know and know what they are talking about!

What I'm after is advice on what brand is good because there are so many out there, and also where I can get the best price and bets bike for this price

Many thanks in advance, look forward to some info

Cheers
Ben

Your best bet is to check out the offerings at local bike shops. In the price in which you're looking, there's not going to be a big difference in features or quality among the bikes you find. For you, the most important things will be to find a bike that fits; to find a bike that you like; and to find a bike shop that is helpful and doesn't spew a bunch of marketing ****. The bike shop is important as it's likely that because of your experience you'll use the shop, for some time, for maintenance or repair needs, as well as to buy other kit.

cannondale is the best bike out there and it is not made by slaves in china like most of the cheap *** (not inexpensive) bikes people try to shove down our usa throats. the lefty is an odd looking bike but it is much stronger than a regular bike's fork

gillyronald, you're only half right. Cannondale's manufacturing has by now been consolidated in Taiwan, where production is presumably under the auspices of well-paid technicians rather than slaves on the Chinese mainland.

I suggest visiting some local shops to get a preliminary fitting and some test rides on whatever brands they're representing. All of the major US and Canadian brands have quite decent entry level bikes--Trek, Giant, Specialized, Felt, and even Cannondale. If you insist on going the mail order or internet route, I suggest you learn your size, study the geometry charts, and post questions regarding specific dealers and bikes.

The road bikes won't have a lefty fork, though.

Hi, I went through pretty much the same thing a year ago, when I decided to take up cycling to compensate for some injuries that prevented me from running.

I think as a new buyer (or one that's been away from the sport for a long time), the advice to sample some local shops is really the best. I'd visit a couple if you can--you'll know when the chemistry between you and the shop is right.

There are quality bikes offered by virtually all the well-known labels, and as an aside, almost all the well-known labels are owned by corporate entities that also produce the most inexpensive offerings as well. For example, the company owning Cannondale offers bikes made in China, Taiwan (which in-turn is known to outsource manufacture to mainland China themselves), and Viet Nam.

Not trying to be wishy-washy there, but it's just my experience (limited thought it may be, LOL). I just purchased my first road bike, a Trek 2.3, after riding and enjoying my Trek hybrid, a 7.3FX for a year. I looked at the 2.3 because it appears to be a nice combination of quality and components, but also because I feel I have a good situation with our local shop. But I'm more than sure a comparably priced bike from Cannondale, Felt, Schwinn, etc. would be just as nice.

But back to your question, an LBS will be able to work with you to make sure you and the bike are well-suited to each other, and in most cases, if there are any immediate regrets or second thoughts on your part, the LBS can help make things right--a good shop will look at you as a return customer for accessories, maintenance, and so on.

BTW, I'm not dissing e-sales at all--now that I've been through a couple bike purchases from a shop, I'd feel more comfortable trying out the internet option. But when I started out, I simply didn't know even a small percent of the right questions to ask or things to look for.

Happy hunting!!

Test rides trump all internet forum posts.

And a good bike shop to support you.

The first bike I bought on my own, I bought because of it's flashy paint job. Interesting thing was, this bike shop didn't use grease in the bike bearings! Wonderful! One ride in the rain later, my bottom bracket was destroyed, as was the headset!

feldo said:

What I'm after is advice on what brand is good because there are so many out there, and also where I can get the best price and bets bike for this price

feldo said:
I am looking for some advice as I'm about to buy my first decent road bike. I have a budget of $1000 AUD which is a little bit flexible.

I ride about 20-25 kilometres a day going to and from work in Melbourne and Id like to go on longer rides on the weekends, say 50 kilometres or so.

Ive spoken to a few bike stores about my situation and they all say I'm looking at $1000 AUD to get an entry level road bike

I have been looking on all the websites also which seems to indicate that $1000 AUD is the general starting range, so I'm basically after some suggestions from some guys who are in the know and know what they are talking about!

What bike are you currently riding?

There are very few bike frames which can't be outfitted with contemporary components.

If you feel compelled to buying a "new" bike, then buy the one whose frame is locally made (if any) because the components are pretty much the same from brand to brand of bike ...

That is to say, why pay for import duties on the frame if you don't have to?