Advice for cycling computer

jpwkeeper

Jul 25, 2004
I'm looking for advice on buying a cycling computer. My current cycling setup is:
Wahoo TICKR HR Strap
Wahoo Speed/Cadence Sensor
Strava running on Android, paired with both sensors over Bluetooth.

That all works, but I don't want to mount my phone to my bike for various reasons. I'd like a bike computer that can show me my speed (either GPS or from the speed sensor), HR from the TICKR, and Cadence from the Wahoo Cadence sensor, but without losing those attachments to Strava on my phone. I'd like this to be a budget computer purchase; I'm NOT looking for full Strava integration or Turn-by-Turn navigation (like on the Bolt, which is currently the cheapest computer I've seen that does what I've listed but at 250 that's still a lot of cheddar). I don't even need it to necessarily record my ride, although that would be nice as a backup to my phone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd look at the new Wahoo Eemnt mini - I'd bet that it does what you'd like. And it is better enabled by having a phone on you - which it sounds like you would typically have.

I don't know them as well, but I think the Lezyne computers also look pretty good and give you a lot of bang for the buck.

I would also appreciate some guidance from other forum members on recommended bike computers, specifically for mountain biking.
It looks like the Garmin Edge 820 and Garmin Edge 1030 come highly recommended but would be great to get some real world feedback.

While not the same type of computer you're looking for, I've done a lot of reading on other forums about these units and apparently the Garmin Edge is having issues, as well as issues with durability which that aspect seems wide spread with Garmin bike stuff. My research is for touring with, so mapping with navigation turn by turn, and address locating and directions is important to me and from what I read those Garmin Edge units are not that accurate. So I'm leaning toward the Garmin Etrex because it's built more rugged, the mapping for some reason works better than the Edge stuff. Sorry I'm not more help on you specific need, but Garmin Edge products are not getting good reviews from users on forums.