Advice for Fiancee

jaguar75

Apr 21, 2004
I have been riding for several years and I am slowly introducing my fiancee to it and she really seems to enjoy it. I do not want to scare her off with too much "training" but would love her to progress to the point where she is comfortable riding by herself. My enjoyment in cycling has always been just pedaling out miles and getting my quality time. I am a very strong personality and I can be somewhat frustrating to deal with at times and sometimes forget the fragility of my fiancee's psychi. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

How did you get you fiancee interested in the first place. I've been trying to get my husband out riding for years. He's first excuse was that bikes were uncomfortable because of a childhood injury (and he never rode one that fit). So I built him a bike that fit and worked with his injury. Now he wont ride the bike be cause he thinks the saddle is ugly. I think the only way to get him to ride, is if I strap a plasma tv to the handlebars.

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but it sure feals good to vent a little frustration.

I think the answer to both posts is that the person has to have some interest in cycling. If they don’t want to do it, ultimately they won‘t.

All you can do is to say that you would really like them to come cycling with you and it would be fun for you, if they were to give it their best and see if they liked it. If they do, then there’s a chance they will ‘get the bug‘. But if they don’t then you’re flogging a dead horse.

A good way to build interest is if you have a common goal - like training for a bicycle tour, or a charity ride, or something like that.

Otherwise, start slow and build gradually, maybe have short "destination" rides - down to the local coffee shop, or down to the park for a picnic, something low-key and relaxed initially.

Maybe join a local bike club that has a lot of social rides and is supportive of beginners.

If they really start getting into it, the rest will follow.

Well, I did not have to try to hard...I got her a bike and she started pedaling with me and I think the sensation of freedom got her but I am not quite convinced that it has truly got hold. Yesterday we were taking care of my niece and nephew and I suggested that we ride independantly so we could take turns watching the kids and she did not even hesitate...she was out the door before I could say, I'll go first.
:)

jaguar75 said:
Well, I did not have to try to hard...I got her a bike and she started pedaling with me and I think the sensation of freedom got her but I am not quite convinced that it has truly got hold. Yesterday we were taking care of my niece and nephew and I suggested that we ride independantly so we could take turns watching the kids and she did not even hesitate...she was out the door before I could say, I'll go first.
:)

Looking after kids, cycling. Cycling, looking after kids. Hmmm, tough one ...

Maybe introduce her to other females who ride. I love riding however I dont like riding by myself. All my rides are with other female friends or with the LBS rides. It's a personal preference on riding and what you want to get out of it.:)

KellyT said:
Looking after kids, cycling. Cycling, looking after kids. Hmmm, tough one ...
Does this mean we have to have a poll on who cycles most and how many kids they have?

I for the record go on nice leisurely long cycles on the weekend and enter races making sure i train a lot ... I have 4 kids *G*