Advice for first bike: new or used (specialized allez elite vs cannondale r2000)

Matt Bouchard

Guest
Hi...

This will be my first real road bike purchase so,
apologies if this sounds a bit silly. I'm looking to buy
my first real road bike in 15 years (Im 31). I will be
using it for a triathlon here in California in Sept.
Afterwards I hope to integrate some touring(w/camping),
but Ill never do any racing. My budget is $850 for bike +
$150 for everything else.

I'm looking at two bikes:

1) New Specialized allez elite 2004 triple. Can get it at my
LBS for $850+tax which seems like a good price. (is there
a way to stop the clicking of the derailer?)

2) A good condition used 1999 Cannondale R2000 with Ultegra,
Cane Creek Crono Wheels, Reynolds Carbon Fiber Fork, 3T
Prima 199 Handlebar, CP Pave ergometric seat. Asking is
$800. Its from a guy at work and the bike has been taken
care of, and the size is right. Here's a picture: http:/-
/us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/409afe82_4688/bc/My+Documents/bike-
.jpg?bfZPOvABkWXm2Vy8

I ruled out the Giant OCR1 since it didnt seem to fit as
well.

Assuming both bikes fit me well, which would you go for? I
think most would say go for the new bike, but I think the
cannondale might be a better deal. I still have my '94
cannon MTB and I think they make good stuff; brother swears
by specialized. Either way, Im going to be happy. :)

Thanks in advance, matt

"Matt Bouchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Hi...
|
| This will be my first real road bike purchase so,
| apologies if this sounds a bit silly. I'm looking to buy
| my first real road bike in 15 years (Im 31). I will be
| using it for a triathlon here in California in Sept.
| Afterwards I hope to integrate some touring(w/camping),
| but Ill never do any racing. My budget is $850 for bike +
| $150 for everything else.
|
| I'm looking at two bikes:
|
| 1) New Specialized allez elite 2004 triple. Can get it at
| my LBS for $850+tax which seems like a good price. (is
| there a way to stop the clicking of the derailer?)
|
| 2) A good condition used 1999 Cannondale R2000 with
| Ultegra, Cane Creek Crono Wheels, Reynolds Carbon Fiber
| Fork, 3T Prima 199 Handlebar, CP Pave ergometric seat.
| Asking is $800. Its from a guy at work and the bike has
| been taken care of, and the size is right. Here's a
| picture:
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/409afe82_4688/bc/My+Documents/b-
ike.jpg?bfZPOvABkWXm2Vy8

| I ruled out the Giant OCR1 since it didnt seem to fit
| as well.
|
| Assuming both bikes fit me well, which would you go
| for? I think most would say go for the new bike, but I
| think the cannondale might be a better deal. I still
| have my '94 cannon MTB and I think they make good
| stuff; brother swears by specialized. Either way, Im
| going to be happy. :)

My opinion is the Cannondale is the better bike for road
riding and the Tri you want it for. But not well suited for
loaded touring.

Take a look at these (or any bike) and ask yourself how you
are going to put a rack and panniers on the bike. The
Cannondale is a CAAD4 frame, and although there appear to be
small holes on the rear dropouts for mounting a rack, the
length of the chanistays make a rack and bags uncomfortable.
They are too short and you will be kicking the panniers with
your heels all the time.

Touring bikes tend to have a longer wheelbase, and a
lot of that is in the distance between the seat tube
and the rear hub.

The Specialized has front and rear rack mounts.But, it's
hard to imagine putting much on either end. It has a compact
frame and short chainstays as well. Racing bikes make
uncomfortable tourers. Not only will you be having troubles
with the bags, but it will be pretty twitchy with all that
weight on it.

Since you appear to be just a recreational or entry level
triathlete, I recommend getting a bike that is more suited
for touring and simply pull off all the unnecessary bits for
the Tri to save weight. If you can only get one bike, that
is the better direction to head.

On the other had, if the touring thing is still just in the
'thinking about it' stage, ask yourself if you're really
going to tour and camp with a bike. If you really aren't,
back to the Cannondale. Nice bike, and maybe you can talk
the price down a smidgeon.

John Rees wrote:
> My opinion is the Cannondale is the better bike for road
> riding and the Tri you want it for. But not well suited
> for loaded touring.
>
> Take a look at these (or any bike) and ask yourself how
> you are going to put a rack and panniers on the bike. The
> Cannondale is a CAAD4 frame, and although there appear to
> be small holes on the rear dropouts for mounting a rack,
> the length of the chanistays make a rack and bags
> uncomfortable. They are too short and you will be kicking
> the panniers with your heels all the time.

I just got back from my latest bicycle camping tour with my
Cannondale R800 'criterium-style' close coupled frame. The
rear rack is attached to those "small holes on the rear
dropouts" and I have no problems with heel clearance on my
rear panniers.

> Touring bikes tend to have a longer wheelbase, and a lot
> of that is in the distance between the seat tube and the
> rear hub.
>
> The Specialized has front and rear rack mounts.But, it's
> hard to imagine putting much on either end. It has a
> compact frame and short chainstays as well. Racing bikes
> make uncomfortable tourers. Not only will you be having
> troubles with the bags, but it will be pretty twitchy with
> all that weight on it.

That hasn't been my experience with my Cannondale. I've had
other bikes with a more typical touring geometry, but the
short wheelbase Cannondale is the one I prefer to use for
touring. It has a very solid feel with the panniers loaded
for camping and I hardly notice the load except for the way
it slows me down when going uphill. The only disadvantages I
notice are that I'm restricted from using tires much over 25
mm wide and I can't fit full fenders (but the rear rack
serves as a partial fender and I put a water deflector under
the downtube to minimize spray from the front wheel).

May I add one small point: if you buy the Specialized new
you get a 10-year warranty on the frame. Having broken my
old Specialized 2000 year model frame last year I was
delighted to receive a 2004 year model replacement with NO
charges. Just something to consider among the other fine
points made here. Gary

Matt Bouchard wrote:
> Hi...
>
> This will be my first real road bike purchase so,
> apologies if this sounds a bit silly. I'm looking to buy
> my first real road bike in 15 years (Im 31). I will be
> using it for a triathlon here in California in Sept.
> Afterwards I hope to integrate some touring(w/camping),
> but Ill never do any racing. My budget is $850 for bike +
> $150 for everything else.
>
> I'm looking at two bikes:
>
> 1) New Specialized allez elite 2004 triple. Can get it at
> my LBS for $850+tax which seems like a good price. (is
> there a way to stop the clicking of the derailer?)
>
> 2) A good condition used 1999 Cannondale R2000 with
> Ultegra, Cane Creek Crono Wheels, Reynolds Carbon Fiber
> Fork, 3T Prima 199 Handlebar, CP Pave ergometric seat.
> Asking is $800. Its from a guy at work and the bike has
> been taken care of, and the size is right. Here's a
> picture: http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/409afe82_4688/bc/-
> My+Documents/bike.jpg?bfZPOvABkWXm2Vy8
>
> I ruled out the Giant OCR1 since it didnt seem to fit
> as well.
>
> Assuming both bikes fit me well, which would you go
> for? I think most would say go for the new bike, but I
> think the cannondale might be a better deal. I still
> have my '94 cannon MTB and I think they make good
> stuff; brother swears by specialized. Either way, Im
> going to be happy. :)
>
> Thanks in advance, matt

Thanks for all the feedback.

I firstly wanted to know if buying a used bike for my first,
was a bad idea. Since no one mentioned that, then I think
everyone agrees its ok. I didnt know how much bikes have
changed over five years, but it looks like the Cannondale is
still a good bike.

For the touring thing: it really is a "might do it someday"
thing, and based on the second reply, it looks like it can
do some light touring, which is all i really need here in
California - maybe a total of 7-10 pounds of gear.

The one hesitation is that the Cannondale is a double and
not a triple. I'll likely be moving back to San Francisco
afterwards, but I know lots of people use doubles on
small hills.

For reply number three, I had thought Cannondale had a
lifetime warranty on the frame. I totally respect
Specialized and Im considering buying the cannondale and
using it for a year then getting a nice specialized if I
stick with cycling.

matt

Gary <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> May I add one small point: if you buy the Specialized new
> you get a 10-year warranty on the frame. Having broken my
> old Specialized 2000 year model frame last year I was
> delighted to receive a 2004 year model replacement with NO
> charges. Just something to consider among the other fine
> points made here. Gary
>
> Matt Bouchard wrote:
> > Hi...
> >
> > This will be my first real road bike purchase so,
> > apologies if this sounds a bit silly. I'm looking to buy
> > my first real road bike in 15 years (Im 31). I will be
> > using it for a triathlon here in California in Sept.
> > Afterwards I hope to integrate some touring(w/camping),
> > but Ill never do any racing. My budget is $850 for bike
> > + $150 for everything else.
> >
> > I'm looking at two bikes:
> >
> > 1) New Specialized allez elite 2004 triple. Can get it
> > at my LBS for $850+tax which seems like a good price.
> > (is there a way to stop the clicking of the
> > derailer?)
> >
> > 2) A good condition used 1999 Cannondale R2000 with
> > Ultegra, Cane Creek Crono Wheels, Reynolds Carbon
> > Fiber Fork, 3T Prima 199 Handlebar, CP Pave
> > ergometric seat. Asking is $800. Its from a guy at
> > work and the bike has been taken care of, and the
> > size is right. Here's a picture: http://us.f2.yahoof-
> > s.com/bc/409afe82_4688/bc/My+Documents/bike.jpg?bfZP-
> > OvABkWXm2Vy8
> >
> > I ruled out the Giant OCR1 since it didnt seem to fit
> > as well.
> >
> > Assuming both bikes fit me well, which would you go
> > for? I think most would say go for the new bike, but I
> > think the cannondale might be a better deal. I still
> > have my '94 cannon MTB and I think they make good
> > stuff; brother swears by specialized. Either way, Im
> > going to be happy. :)
> >
> > Thanks in advance, matt

On 3 Jun 2004 12:31:16 -0700, [email protected] (Matt
Bouchard) wrote:
>The one hesitation is that the Cannondale is a double and
>not a triple. I'll likely be moving back to San Francisco
>afterwards, but I know lots of people use doubles on
>small hills.

This would be a dealbreaker for me. Doubles, IMO, are silly
except for hardcore racing. OTOH, having that granny on the
occasion when you need it...oh so nice.

Heheh...it just occurred to me: The same people that
advocate doubles also insist that we must always pedal 90
rpm (and with a 13-23 cluster). Either they never climb
hills, or they're very, very strong and fast.
--
Rick Onanian

[email protected] (Matt Bouchard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi...
>
> This will be my first real road bike purchase so,
> apologies if this sounds a bit silly. I'm looking to buy
> my first real road bike in 15 years (Im 31). I will be
> using it for a triathlon here in California in Sept.
> Afterwards I hope to integrate some touring(w/camping),
> but Ill never do any racing. My budget is $850 for bike +
> $150 for everything else.

Check out Colorado Cyclists, I understand they have M/L
sizes (left) on Taiwanese Litespeeds (AL) with Ultegra or
105 that are in your price range. I think they are even
triples! You bascially pay for the bike kit and get the
frame for free.