advice for hill climbing time trial

Adam Lea

Guest
I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally I
climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to do
the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
do)?

This is where it will be taking place:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Adam Lea wrote:
> I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
> 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.

Have you got that right? That's an average gradient of about 1 in 25
which is a pretty easy hill.

Tony

> Adam Lea wrote:
>> I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which
>> is 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.

> Have you got that right? That's an average gradient of about 1 in 25
> which is a pretty easy hill.
>
> Tony

Well this is the South East :)

The course is 1.6 miles long but there is a few hundred yards of flat bit at
the end so the actual climb is over a little under 1.5 miles. Checking the
map, the base is a 57m and the top is at 157m.

Adam

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:18:49 +0100, Adam Lea wrote:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Adam Lea wrote:
>>> I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which
>>> is 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.

>> Have you got that right? That's an average gradient of about 1 in 25
>> which is a pretty easy hill.
>>
>> Tony

> Well this is the South East :)
>
> The course is 1.6 miles long but there is a few hundred yards of flat bit at
> the end so the actual climb is over a little under 1.5 miles. Checking the
> map, the base is a 57m and the top is at 157m.
>
> Adam

surface and such make bearing as to how hard the hill is or not

roger

Adam Lea wrote:

>I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
>1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally I
>climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
>felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
>rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to do
>the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
>do)?

Are you new to this TT game?

Most hill-climbs are done out of the saddle ina big-gear-mashing
stylee.

I'd suggest going out there and having a look-see and try the two
different approaches beforehand. Looking at the profile it looks like
one of those anoying hills (aren't they all :) ) with a few false
flats.

Adam Lea wrote:
> I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday
> which is 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.
> Normally I climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient
> and I have not yet felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine
> for my normal utility rides but what is best for this short intense
> climb? Would it be best to do the whole climb out of the saddle or
> stay seated and spin (like I usually do)?

For this distance it'd be fastest out of the saddle, big gear, as big as you
can turn, and stomp it out.

It will be painful ... ;)

--
Paul - ***

Adam Lea wrote:
> I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
> 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally I
> climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
> felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
> rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to do
> the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
> do)?
>
> This is where it will be taking place:
>
> http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Stand up, Big Gear, Mash until onset of tunnel vision. Avoid the Full
English breakfast beforehand.

Chris

Adam Lea wrote:
> I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
> 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally I
> climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
> felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
> rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to do
> the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
> do)?

I'd do a bit of empirical testing. You will need a suitable hill and
opportunities to tackle it in a similar condition (i.e., not straight
after you've wasted yourself doing it the first time).

I guess the answer of exactly how to tackle it will vary between
different people. It may also be the case that you could be best off
starting spinning and then move to a Big Finish some way up: if you
don't have the legs to sprint it all the way then it'll be counter
productive trying, but it's unlikely you'll be best off doing it
aerobically from start to finish.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Chris Smith wrote:

> Stand up, Big Gear, Mash until onset of tunnel vision. Avoid the Full
> English breakfast beforehand.

Unless you want a FEB straight afterwards as well, but second hand... ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Roger Merriman

> surface and such make bearing as to how hard the hill is or not

Anyone else find Roger's posts easier to understand when said in a Yoda
voice? ;)

--
Mark T

On 13 Aug 2007 11:27:50 GMT, Mark T
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Roger Merriman
>
>> surface and such make bearing as to how hard the hill is or not

>Anyone else find Roger's posts easier to understand when said in a Yoda
>voice? ;)

Heh. But no, it still makes no sense.

--
Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

wrote:

> Roger Merriman
>
> > surface and such make bearing as to how hard the hill is or not

> Anyone else find Roger's posts easier to understand when said in a
> Yoda voice? ;)

Dunno. He's the only person on ukrc I've killfiled for his English
(as opposed to bad behaviour or stupidity like matt b or spindrift).

--
not me guv

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> Adam Lea wrote:
> > I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
> > 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally I
> > climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
> > felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
> > rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to do
> > the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
> > do)?

> I'd do a bit of empirical testing. You will need a suitable hill and
> opportunities to tackle it in a similar condition (i.e., not straight
> after you've wasted yourself doing it the first time).
>
> I guess the answer of exactly how to tackle it will vary between
> different people. It may also be the case that you could be best off
> starting spinning and then move to a Big Finish some way up: if you
> don't have the legs to sprint it all the way then it'll be counter
> productive trying, but it's unlikely you'll be best off doing it
> aerobically from start to finish.
>
> Pete.

quite, i find the hill nr my folks place that in places gets into the
mid 30% mark is in many ways easyer than some of the hills on the club
run which while, no where near as savage are done faster.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On 13 Aug, 13:58, Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2007 11:27:50 GMT
> Mark T
> <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> > Roger Merriman

> > > surface and such make bearing as to how hard the hill is or not

> > Anyone else find Roger's posts easier to understand when said in a
> > Yoda voice? ;)

> Dunno. He's the only person on ukrc I've killfiled for his English
> (as opposed to bad behaviour or stupidity like matt b or spindrift).

I thought, "that's a bit harsh" - then I read the next post
from the poster in question. It was longer, maybe 4 lines,
quite hard work.

Reminded of the high volume spam bot that has appeared recently
in some groups that I read:)

"Do not hate bimonthly while you're resembling inside a subsequent
shape. Nowadays, it picks a label too passing beneath her asian
window. It's very final, I'll indicate thoughtfully or Bonita will
criticize the flashs."

Quite clever, nonsense sentences.

Adam Lea wrote:
> I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which is
> 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.

On a 'climb' (???) like that a 57 x 14 fixed might be best ;-)

Remember to reduce the rolling weight by removing any dustcaps.

John B

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Adam Lea wrote:
>
>>I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which
>>is
>>1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance. Normally
>>climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I have not yet
>>felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my normal utility
>>rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would it be best to
>>do
>>the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and spin (like I usually
>>do)?

> Are you new to this TT game?

Yes.

> Most hill-climbs are done out of the saddle ina big-gear-mashing
> stylee.
>
> I'd suggest going out there and having a look-see and try the two
> different approaches beforehand. Looking at the profile it looks like
> one of those anoying hills (aren't they all :) ) with a few false
> flats.

I could have a practice on Holmbury hill which is on my commute and similar
length and gradient.

> Adam Lea wrote:
>> I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which
>> is 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.
>> Normally I climb hills in the saddle as I find this most efficient and I
>> have not yet felt the need to stand on the pedals. This is fine for my
>> normal utility rides but what is best for this short intense climb? Would
>> it be best to do the whole climb out of the saddle or stay seated and
>> spin (like I usually do)?

> I'd do a bit of empirical testing. You will need a suitable hill and
> opportunities to tackle it in a similar condition (i.e., not straight
> after you've wasted yourself doing it the first time).
>
> I guess the answer of exactly how to tackle it will vary between different
> people. It may also be the case that you could be best off starting
> spinning and then move to a Big Finish some way up: if you don't have the
> legs to sprint it all the way then it'll be counter productive trying, but
> it's unlikely you'll be best off doing it aerobically from start to
> finish.

On the way back from work today I had a go at sprinting up some of the
smaller hills and it seemed the fastest way for least effort was to altenate
getting in and out of the saddle. Getting out of the saddle allowed me a to
get a good burst of power (and thus acceleration) but was tiring very
quickly. Once up to speed I can get back in the saddle and spin for a while
at a comfortable cadence. When I start to slow, out of the saddle and
accelerate again. Not sure if this will work for longer hills though.

Adam

> On the way back from work today I had a go at sprinting up some of the
> smaller hills and it seemed the fastest way for least effort was to
> altenate getting in and out of the saddle. Getting out of the saddle
> allowed me a to get a good burst of power (and thus acceleration) but
> was tiring very quickly. Once up to speed I can get back in the saddle
> and spin for a while at a comfortable cadence. When I start to slow,
> out of the saddle and accelerate again. Not sure if this will work for
> longer hills though.

Same reasoning as for intervals I suppose. Keep it up and you'll soon be
sprinting All the way up ;)

--
Mark T

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Adam Lea wrote:
>> I am participating in a hill climb time trial this coming Saturday which
>> is 1.6 miles long and climbs just over 100 meters in that distance.

> On a 'climb' (???) like that a 57 x 14 fixed might be best ;-)
>
> Remember to reduce the rolling weight by removing any dustcaps.
>
> John B

Out of interest, what would you class as a testing climb?

The hardest I've done is the Snake Pass from the Glossop end with a stonking
headwind.

Adam

"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Out of interest, what would you class as a testing climb?
>
> The hardest I've done is the Snake Pass from the Glossop end with a
> stonking headwind.

Length makes a huge difference IMO. Those nice alpine passes are quite well
graded, and not nearly as steep as some of the stuff here, but they go on
forever!

Anything with an arrow on is "testing" IMO. Doesn't make us any faster up
the others, but I felt there ought to be a cutoff somewhere :)

cheers,
clive