Advice For Hybrid

ibrahim11

Jun 14, 2015
Hi, I was looking at the GT Transeo 4.0 2015. Is this a good hybrid bike? I think it weights around 15KG/33LBS. The price is 400GBP = 635USD (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/transeo-4-2015-hybrid-bike-ec070850)

These are the specifications:
Frame: GT Transeo Triple Triangle alloy smooth welded hydroformed (TTDT)
Fork: SR Suntour NVX-DS HLO 75mm travel pre-load adj. Hydraulic Lockout
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD M191
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Number of Gears: 24
Shifters: Shimano Altus EF-51 Rapid Fire plus
Chainset: Suntour NEX
Chainrings: 48/38/28
Bottom Bracket: Cartridge sealed
Cassette: Sunrace 8spd 11-32t
Chain: KMC Z72
Pedals: Nylon
Brakeset: Tektro MD-M300 Mechanical disc 160mm rotor
Brake Levers: Shimano EF-51
Handlebars: GT Type R flat riser bar 31.8 × 640mm
Stem: GT alloy stem
Headset: Integrated 1 1/8 sealed bearing
Grips: GT Wings
Rims: Jalco JD200 Double Wall Alloy 32h
Front Hub: All Terra Alloy 32h Disc Specific
Rear Hub: All Terra Alloy 32h Freehub Disc Specific
Spokes: Stainless steel 14g
Front Tyre: 700×40c Innova LandTracker puncture protection
Rear Tyre: 700×40c Innova LandTracker puncture protection
Saddle: GT All Terra bio-morphic
Seatpost: GT All Terra two bolt alloy
Seat Binder: GT All Terra cold forged clamp QR

Is this bike good for a hybrid at this price (from my local bike shop)? I'm only going to use it for local rides and sometimes to the gym. Or should I get a Carrera Crossfire 2 from halfords for 270GBP = 428USD. But halfords are very bad at assembling bikes so I don't feel like buying from them.

Reactions: Mablecype
That is the exact same bike as the Schwinn Super Sport 1 like I just bought. Same colors too!

Have you considered the trek Fx 7.4?
Similar price point with a carbon fork to smooth out a lot of bumps.

I gotta say, based on the tire size (40 mm?) and the fact that you have hydraulic adjustable fork, this sounds like a mountain bike not really a hybrid.

Nothing you said about how you plan to ride this bike makes me think its the right one for you.

If u have a Performance Bicycle shop near you, the transeo 4.0 sells for $499.99 but still, based on ur ride type, u should look at more of a hybrid like the specialized cirrus or trek fx series.

NJAgent020 said:
I gotta say, based on the tire size (40 mm?) and the fact that you have hydraulic adjustable fork, this sounds like a mountain bike not really a hybrid.
This style of hybrid is called a dual-sport. It's meant for mixed pavement and dirt riding. It makes sense if you're planning to do considerable amount of riding on dirt roads and want the extra cush of the front shock.

If weight reduction and crisp handling on decent roads take precedence over comfort on dirt, then a rigid fork bike like an FX certainly makes more sense.