Advice for new bike purchase

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by smokespotter, Dec 7, 2004.

1. smokespotter

smokespotter New Member

What would be a good upper entry level (500-700 USD) bike for trail, XC, and AR rides. I currently have a cheap super store special that just doesn't get it anymore. I don't do much downhill or jumping and from looking around the net looks like I would need a hardtail. Any advice would be appreciated . Thanks

Tags:

2. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

Have you ever consider a dual-suspension bike with a lockout-equipped rear shock?

Me and my father were looking at a Mountainsmith Cairn that we will hopefully buy sometime before saturday. Its a great bike, it has:

A Deore drivetrain with an XT rear Derailleur and Deore Shifters

A Marchozzi EMX Pro Fork

A DNM Hydraulic Pison Rear Shock ( which is lockable and setable for rebound speed, Fast or Slow)

Hayes HMX-1 XC F/R Disc Brakes with Hayes Brake Levers

Shimano Flattop Clipless Pedals

WTB Alloy Speed Disc Rims

Maxxis Swamp Thing 2 tires

7005 Series Aluminum frame

Orginal price $1300.00 now $749.00 at Dicks Sporting Goods
    Also if you get it before 12/11/04 there is a 20% off Coupon on that I found and am going to use.

3. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

My buddy's ride is a Gary Fisher Tassajara. I believe its $475. Awesome bike for the price. It could use a brake upgrade (the stock brakes are plastic promaxes) but everything else on it has been fine. We ride hard, and ride all the hardest trails around here, and its held up fine.

Just shoot for a hardtail and you really can't go wrong. When you start eyeballing low end full suspension is when things get hairy and heavy. Granted there are som decent cheaper FS bikes out there, but for your price range, go hardtail.

4. peet9471

peet9471 New Member

Go hardtail, up and down doesn't make you go foward.

5. Lucky13TRD

Lucky13TRD New Member

I would check out A specilized Hardtail sport or comp. All that these bikes need is a new stiffer front fork. It rides great for the $$$