Advice for newish cyclist required

smikeymikey

Jun 4, 2010
Hiya..some advice really

I have been cycling around 8 months, Male, 30, aroun 11.5 stone. I have a specialized sirrus sport hybrid (much more road than mountain bike) and normally commute through country lanes around 10-15 miles to the station each way most days. I have recently cycled into london a few times from my house all the way which is 46 miles in about 2 and half hours, although it is hard work at the moment. What I need to know is how much will I benefit from upgrading to a road bike around the £1000 mark compared to what i'm using now. How much mph extra average could I gain. I am guessing anything above 2 more mph would be worth it?

Your advice would be appreciated

Cheers Mike

Hello,

I have recently upgraded from a Specialized Sirrus Comp to a road bike. I was commuting to work about 74km (round trip) twice a week. I was getting numb on the finger tips and the lack of positions on the handlebar was starting to bother me (even though I had the cool ends on the handlebars). I also found that when it was windy although it was a high performance hybrid I felt like a sail in the wind. After upgrading I love the positioning options so like if it gets really windy I just tuck in and go to the lowest setting in the dropbar. With a roadbike, you get the 23 as opposed to the 28 tire, possibly lighter bike, the gear ratio (ie more teeth on chainring and more gears in back) will enable you to go faster (provided your legs can pump out the power), and also the angling of the bike lets you translate your pedaling to speed easier. I am still new but I think I am about 3 km/h faster now. Or at the very least I keep the same speed but with less effort... One thing I was not able to do was pass people on the path and clock in at 40km/h whereas with the sirrus I think I'd be at 35ish...