Advice for Novice SAG Drivers?

Zoot Katz

Guest
A few quick searches turned up zip for me. I figured somebody here
might know where to look.

Having been "volunteered", by consequences, karma and collective
consensus, I'm looking for basic insights to the process.

What from a driver's and from the riders' POV makes for a satisfactory
service?

Specifically how to best manage route finding and sweep duties.
--
zk

>What from a driver's and from the riders' POV makes for a satisfactory
>service?

Zoot,

I've performed SAG duties for a number of years and I've ridden my share of
organized rides, so I have experience with both perspectives.

A few points which come to mind:

1) More than anything else, SAG drivers should be prepared to assist with
flat tires. The driver should be proficient in changing them and have a good
floor pump in their vehicle. They should also carry an assortment of tubes
for sale (or to give gratis) to riders.

2) If SAG drivers are proficient at other simple (< 5 minute) repairs and
wish to carry some tools, great. For bigger problems or if the SAG can't fix
it, or is too busy to fix, they should be prepared to carry the riders to
the next rest stop where hopefully a qualified mechanic can assist.

3) Exhausted riders should be carried forward to the next rest stop. The SAG
should be able to carry a minimum of 2 people and their bikes. Some SAGs
should be capable of carrying a tandem.

4) The best SAG system I've worked with uses three types of SAGS:

a) Shuttle SAGs to transport riders from rest stops back to the finish. The
goal should be to have enough of these so that riders do not have to wait
longer than 30 minutes for a ride.
b) Regular SAGs on routes between rest stops. The goal should be to have
enough of these so that riders don't have to wait longer than 5 to 10
minutes for service.
c) A Sweep SAG to follow the last rider

5) If the route has some unusually congested area (for example, a climb on a
narrow road), consider SAGing that zone using a motorcycle (or bicycle!)
SAG.

6) SAGs should all have cell phones if coverage is good, and have a list of
each other's numbers, including a central control number at the ride
start/finish. If cell phone coverage is poor in some areas, consider putting
a HAM radio operator in the SAG and having a HAM base station at the
start/finish (really sophisticated rides will also place GPS transponders in
some of the SAGs, allowing the base control station to track their
location).

7) Central control should actively shift SAGs forward on the course to where
the bulk of the riders are to assure good coverage.

8) The most important attribute in a SAG is a friendly, caring attitude.

9) The biggest beef I have seen repeatedly on rides is that you see many
SAGs the first 30 miles of the ride, but none at all during the last 30.

That's just the main points. Post/email me if you want to discuss further.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:53:26 -0700,
<[email protected]>, Chris Neary
<[email protected] > wrote:

>I've performed SAG duties for a number of years and I've ridden my share of
>organized rides, so I have experience with both perspectives.
>
>A few points which come to mind:
>
>1) More than anything else, SAG drivers should be prepared to assist with
>flat tires. The driver should be proficient in changing them and have a good
>floor pump in their vehicle. They should also carry an assortment of tubes
>for sale (or to give gratis) to riders.
>
>2) If SAG drivers are proficient at other simple (< 5 minute) repairs and
>wish to carry some tools, great. For bigger problems or if the SAG can't fix
>it, or is too busy to fix, they should be prepared to carry the riders to
>the next rest stop where hopefully a qualified mechanic can assist.
>
>3) Exhausted riders should be carried forward to the next rest stop. The SAG
>should be able to carry a minimum of 2 people and their bikes. Some SAGs
>should be capable of carrying a tandem.
>
>4) The best SAG system I've worked with uses three types of SAGS:
>
>a) Shuttle SAGs to transport riders from rest stops back to the finish. The
>goal should be to have enough of these so that riders do not have to wait
>longer than 30 minutes for a ride.
>b) Regular SAGs on routes between rest stops. The goal should be to have
>enough of these so that riders don't have to wait longer than 5 to 10
>minutes for service.
>c) A Sweep SAG to follow the last rider
>
>5) If the route has some unusually congested area (for example, a climb on a
>narrow road), consider SAGing that zone using a motorcycle (or bicycle!)
>SAG.
>
>6) SAGs should all have cell phones if coverage is good, and have a list of
>each other's numbers, including a central control number at the ride
>start/finish. If cell phone coverage is poor in some areas, consider putting
>a HAM radio operator in the SAG and having a HAM base station at the
>start/finish (really sophisticated rides will also place GPS transponders in
>some of the SAGs, allowing the base control station to track their
>location).
>
>7) Central control should actively shift SAGs forward on the course to where
>the bulk of the riders are to assure good coverage.
>
>8) The most important attribute in a SAG is a friendly, caring attitude.
>
>9) The biggest beef I have seen repeatedly on rides is that you see many
>SAGs the first 30 miles of the ride, but none at all during the last 30.
>
>That's just the main points. Post/email me if you want to discuss further.
>

>Chris Neary
>[email protected]

Thank you for that. I've left your message intact as there's nothing
presently in the archives and that's so good it should be there twice.

This ride will be no more than twenty riders and only ~75 Km. The
route has yet to be finalised and I'll be driving the only SAG. Along
with your recommended spares and tools, I'll basically just be
carrying some camping gear.

The riders are all known to each other so they will be able to rely on
mutual support for their most immediate needs.

As they'll likely get broken up into smaller groups, I'm going to
recommend that at least one cell phone remain with each group. I don't
know about cell coverage though I expect the area is saturated.

Thanks again, You've given me plenty to bring to the table when we
have our planning meeting.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:

>A few quick searches turned up zip for me. I figured somebody here
>might know where to look.
>
>Having been "volunteered", by consequences, karma and collective
>consensus, I'm looking for basic insights to the process.
>
>What from a driver's and from the riders' POV makes for a satisfactory
>service?
>
>Specifically how to best manage route finding and sweep duties.

Carry a cooler full of beer and ice.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:45:02 -0600, <[email protected]>,
Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>Carry a cooler full of beer and ice.

Check: Cooler & Ice. Riders will supply their own preferred beverages.

A separate water cooler for bottle refills might be handy. A lot
depends on the route. Water may be readily available along the way.
--
zk

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:09:46 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What from a driver's and from the riders' POV makes for a satisfactory
>service?

In addition to the fairly complete list from Chris Neary, I'd add one
suggestion; drive the route backwards. This way you get to pass many
more riders and are much more visible to them. Of course it helps to
have a "SAG" sign visible on your vehicle.

Having driven SAG on our club's invitational for ten years I also feel
that passing the riders head-on from the other side of the road is
less intimidating than coming up behind them when they have no idea if
you're a SAG or a hostile local, especially on the narrow country
roads our invitational typically uses.

A side benefit, being more visible and passing more riders makes the
riders feel the ride is more thoroughly supported by the SAG service.

Zoot Katz wrote:
> A few quick searches turned up zip for me. I figured somebody here
> might know where to look.
>
> Having been "volunteered", by consequences, karma and collective
> consensus, I'm looking for basic insights to the process.
>
> What from a driver's and from the riders' POV makes for a satisfactory
> service?
>
> Specifically how to best manage route finding and sweep duties.
> --

When I ran the NorthEast Ohio Century, I passed out these suggestions
to our SAG drivers. See if they're helpful.

BTW, cell phones were much less common back then, so they're not
mentioned. (We did have ham radio operators assisting us for several
years.) So message-carrying was a bigger duty then than now.

Anyway, here you go:

NEOC SAG WAGON PROCEDURES:

First, PLEASE keep track of your mileage. We want to reimburse you!
Mileage is a legitimate
NEOC expense. We're glad you're donating your time - we don't want
your money! NEOC will
make a profit.

Sag wagons drivers should arrive at registration by 7:00. The first
riders start riding then.

Sag wagons should carry the following, if possible:
A sag wagon sign. (from the NEOC chairperson)
Extra maps of all the routes. (Note emergency numbers on the back).
TOOLS:
Wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, allen wrenches (metric). Flat tire
stuff - patch kit, tire irons,
pump & adaptor (presta & schrader), maybe spare tubes. Maybe even
spare tires, if you have
some. Oddball bike tools if you have them. Chain tool, cone wrenches,
spoke wrench, extra
spokes, etc. If you have these, throw them in. Oil, and paper
towels, maybe some hand cleaner.
Bike racks, bungee cords. First aid kit. Blankets, as a first aid
tool. Jugs of water. Trash bags
for emergency raincoats.

Talk with the other sag drivers to cover the routes logically. Arrange
for meeting places to
continue such planning.

Your first duty is to check on and assist riders that may be having
trouble. Some may not flag
you down when they should (they may not see you in time, or they may be
embarrassed), so drive
slowly, with headlights on, and talk to all the riders. Be friendly,
say a word of encouragement,
and keep your eye on people. Give them plenty of time to flag you!

Drive very carefully, it's very easy to get distracted. If somebody
does need help, be sure to stop
well off the road, using flashers. Use good judgement about
recommending whether somebody
should continue, if they have serious bike problems or fatigue.

If someone does need sagged back, they're going to feel pretty bad.
Try to say the right things,
make them feel better.

*** PLEASE act as a messenger to the cookie stop, lunch stop, and
registration/check-in people.
In particular, everybody will need to know for sure when the last
riders will come through, so
they can begin packing up. (Toward the day's end, keep track of who's
still out there - get rider
numbers, if used, or good descriptions.)

Also, you'll probably be asked to deliver food, etc. from the 25 stop
to registration. Be sure they
don't go hungry.

Be friendly and helpful. Make it a good experience for everybody.

(If you work out some improvements or suggestions, please write them
down so we can update
this sheet for next year's workers.)

- Frank Krygowski

>This ride will be no more than twenty riders and only ~75 Km. The
>route has yet to be finalised and I'll be driving the only SAG. Along
>with your recommended spares and tools, I'll basically just be
>carrying some camping gear.
>
>The riders are all known to each other so they will be able to rely on
>mutual support for their most immediate needs.

OK, I understand a little better now. Your role is essentially serving as a
tour-SAG, as opposed to the event SAG my message addressed. That makes your
job easier.

Since your riders sound experienced, immediate SAG support for minor
problems probably isn't warranted or expected. Your main concerns are
transporting "stuff" to the ride finish or pre-designated regroup points
(maybe lunch?) and being available in case a major equipment failure or
physical problem occurs.

Typically, such a SAG would function like a sweep, but occastionally would
move forward (and then back) to check over the entire group or to move to a
regroup point where people will be expecting snackies or lunch.

In addition to the items mentioned in my last message, consider carrying a
good supply of water (I know you said your riders are supplying drinks, but
better safe.....) and a spare tire, especially if anyone is riding an odd
size like 650C or "Friday-sized" tires.

You'll have a good time, though I have a hard time picturing you behind the
wheel :)

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 07:48:29 -0700,
<[email protected] > wrote, in part:
\
>Since your riders sound experienced, immediate SAG support for minor
>problems probably isn't warranted or expected. Your main concerns are
>transporting "stuff" to the ride finish or pre-designated regroup points
>(maybe lunch?) and being available in case a major equipment failure or
>physical problem occurs.

They've pretty much all built their own bikes. Lacking a welding
torch, a whack of hose clamps and splints might come in handy. There
may be a few civilian bikes. Most riders are experienced commuters and
tourists. One of the riders is notoriously always ill prepared and
another may end up too drunk to finish and too belligerent to abandon.
Two others will probably drop the group to do their own tour.

>Typically, such a SAG would function like a sweep, but occastionally would
>move forward (and then back) to check over the entire group or to move to a
>regroup point where people will be expecting snackies or lunch.

\
Some riders are leaving from the start point and others will take
transit to some point in the burbs before commencing. It may prove
impossible to get everybody to stick to the agreed route. They're
mostly all artists and Fellini extras.

>You'll have a good time, though I have a hard time picturing you behind the
>wheel :)

I know. I'm having a hard time with it myself. It may be easier if I
rent a black serge double-breasted tunic with jodhpurs, knee high
boots and a chauffeurs cap though. Dressed like that I'd probably be
able to leave my own sleeping bag at home.

It sounds like the SAG wagon covers three or four times more milage
than the riders. Fun it may be though it will be a long day for me.
--
zk

18 Jun 2005 07:24:53 -0700,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

>When I ran the NorthEast Ohio Century, I passed out these suggestions
>to our SAG drivers. See if they're helpful.

\snip

Thanks Frank. The check list hit some items I'd not.

I'd really like to have a passenger to handle the phone, navigate and
help account for riders while I concentrate on driving.
--
zk

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> In addition to the fairly complete list from Chris Neary, I'd add one
> suggestion; drive the route backwards. This way you get to pass many
> more riders and are much more visible to them. Of course it helps to
> have a "SAG" sign visible on your vehicle.
>
> Having driven SAG on our club's invitational for ten years I also feel
> that passing the riders head-on from the other side of the road is
> less intimidating than coming up behind them when they have no idea if
> you're a SAG or a hostile local, especially on the narrow country
> roads our invitational typically uses.
>
> A side benefit, being more visible and passing more riders makes the
> riders feel the ride is more thoroughly supported by the SAG service.

I second the motion of coming from the opposite direction.

I've never driven SAG, but on organized rides I've found myself irritated by
SAG drivers coming from behind driving slowly until I realized they were
SAGs.

I really liked seeing the same SAG driver over and over coming from the head
on direction. One particular guy who always had some kind of cool and funny
arm gestures made me feel good everytime I saw him.