Advice for novices

Pillman

Apr 1, 2012
Long time away from bikes (since college - 1965 grad) but thinking of getting back in. Can't run due to shot knees and need some cardio. Investigating bikes on-line and at local shops. Not there yet, but also need opinions/advice on what else I'm in for in the way of equipment (expenditures). Helmet seems obvious. what else essential, desirable? Also any clues about one brand of somehting over another would be helpful.

Budget and fit are going to be your top concerns. The name on the side doesn't mean a whole lot within a given price range, but making sure that a bike fits you properly will be one of the major factors on whether you stick with it or not. Some appropriate clothing doesn't hurt. It's not necessary, but can increase the comfort level quite a bit.

Beyond that, it's like any other hobby--the more you get into it, the easier it is to keep spending more and more money on it. I'm at a point where I am happy with what I have for how I ride, but as the funds become available, there will be a few more things I pick up--some for the bike and some tools. Those things are not high priority, though.

I'm a beginner myself, so I'm sure others will have better advice than I.

I guess your extras for your bike would depend on what type of bike you're riding. For example a mountain biker might want a tool kit and spares.

I personally have purchased a tool kit because I have an X-mart bike, and want to work on it. Don't even bother with a gel seat cover if you find yourself uncomfortable on a saddle, you will eventually get used to it, or you can try a wider saddle (again depending on the bike you buy, the saddles will be different). I've also got bike locks, tire pump, and a PSI gauge for the tires, and plan on getting a water bottle holster. If you go to a bike shop they can suggest some other things for the type of riding you will be doing I'm sure, but only you can determine what's important for your ride. :) Good luck

A nice pair of decent bike shorts with chamois in them are very helpful. They help wick away moisture and keep everything comfortable down there as to avoid saddle sores etc.

As for bicycles, what kind of riding would you be looking to do?