Advice for the short girl

Lisa Jo Davis

May 19, 2016
Ok, so I'm only 5'2" and I have a hard time finding a bike that I feel comfortable with. Even with the seat all the way lowered, it seems like women's bikes are too tall for me still and girls bikes are too small. Ideally, I like to be able to at least have the balls of my feet able to touch the ground (but not the heels) when I am standing over the bike. What should I do in this instance? Am I really trying to ride a bike that's the wrong size for me, even thought it is what I feel comfortable with? Help! Years ago I really used to enjoy riding and desperately want to get back into it, but I feel as though I am losing my enthusiasm because I don't have a bike I truly love. Any advice?

Go to a good bike store. There's no reason you can not ride a flat bar or drop bar road bike, fitness bike, mountain bike or hybrid bike that fits. And with a few adjustments such as stem and saddle swap it can probably be made to perfectly.

Giant uses one of the more compact geometry frames available. Note the fairly extreme slope of the top tube. Not they are specifically designed for the vertically challenged, but they do seem to work well for folks that lack altitude.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bike-catalogue/series/on-road/51/

There are many other brands that also offer women specific designs in sizes that fit short gals (and short guys). Look around. TREK, Specialized, Cannondale, etc. probably have the size that works. Life is full of compromises, but bike fit is something that needs to be correct.

Right.

You should be able to stand over the bike easily with your feet flat on the ground. Most major brands sold in bike shops have frame sizes that will fit you.

As my usual advice when purchasing a new bike, go to the bike store and test ride what catches your fancy. I cannot say you pick that frame or this frame because it is your body that would get a feel if you are comfortable with a particular frame and it is your eyes that would say that you like the design or the color. I stand 5 feet 4 inches and I don't find any problem in buying a new bike as along as my legs, hands and body agree to my test ride.

It's much harder to find a bike on the other end of the spectrum; 5 ft 2 is a tiny bit below average in most places so I'd probably just say go to a bike shop that specializes in making bikes and ask on their opinion on it, you don't necessarily need to buy a bike from them as they'd probably be more expensive but just ask what type of frame you should get for your height. Trying to get a frame for a 6 ft 5 guy however is pretty hard.