Advice for touring tyre 26" wanted..

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Torben Scheel, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my evita. It has to be puncture
    resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have a low rolling
    resistance (slick preferred). I will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for
    commuting. Any ideas?

    TIA Torben

    Tags:

  2. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Torben Scheel must be edykated coz e writed:

    > I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my evita. It has to be puncture
    > resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have a low rolling
    > resistance (slick preferred). I will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for
    > commuting. Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA Torben

    I tend to stick to Verdestein, good puncture resistance and sem to roll well, the conti's on the
    trike puncture too easily.

    Ian

  3. "Torben Scheel" skrev...
    > I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my evita. It has to be puncture
    > resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have a low rolling
    > resistance (slick preferred). I will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for
    > commuting. Any ideas?

    559? I got an S-Licks somewhere that I took off my TE-clone. Its a bit worn but not totally worn out
    so you can give it a test if you want.

    It has nada grip in snow, slush or mud tho.

    M.

  4. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    I am really in awe of the Avocet Cross II. It is 1.5 width, has a kevlar belt and low rolling resistance.

    This model comes in widths from 1.25" to 1.9". Take a look:

    http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/cross_2.html

  5. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my evita. It has to be puncture
    > resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have a low rolling
    > resistance (slick preferred). I will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for
    > commuting. Any ideas?
    The best (fastest) general purpose 559 in that width is the Vred S-Lick as others have noted.

    --

    Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giros Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:30:53 +0100, "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my evita. It has to be puncture
    >resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have a low rolling
    >resistance (slick preferred). I will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for
    >commuting. Any ideas?

    I used the Panaracer T-serv on my Stealth and it seemed to work well. It's marketed as a messenger
    tyre. It has kevlar belt and kevlar bead, and the 26x1.25 version is 125 psi. It's spelled "T-serv"
    but if you do a web search, also try "T-Serve" since most on-line catalogues spell it that way.

  7. Amazing how fast the answers are rolling in.. I posted before i left work, picked up a
    Specialized Fat Boy slick on the way home (yes I know, I should have waited), and now I can see
    that I have to get a S-lick too. The shop carried a Schwalbe Marathon Slick as well, any opinions
    on this and the Fat Boy?

    Thank's a bunch so far..

    "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my
    evita.
    > It has to be puncture resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have a
    > low rolling resistance (slick preferred).
    > will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for commuting. Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA Torben

  8. Pretty Narrow tire/tyre you want there SonnyJim. I use an Avocet Cross at
    1.7 at 85 psi and this is as narrow as I wanna get in a 559mm. I think Vredestein in Holland makes
    narrow Slicks...not sure if any Kevlar is used though....have not been following the latest tire
    news. -------------------------------. "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my
    evita.
    > It has to be puncture resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have a
    > low rolling resistance (slick preferred).
    > will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for commuting. Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA Torben

  9. "Torben Scheel" skrev...
    > Amazing how fast the answers are rolling in.. I posted before i left work, picked up a Specialized
    > Fat Boy slick on the way home (yes I know, I should have waited), and now I can see that I have to
    > get a S-lick too. The shop carried a Schwalbe Marathon Slick as well, any opinions on this and the
    > Fat Boy?

    Jensen Cykler på Jagtvej 72-74 har nye S-Licks som foldedæk. Mit indtryk af dem er dog efterhånden,
    at de gerne snyder dig på prisen, hvis de kan slippe af sted med det.

    mvh Mikael

  10. I've run Fat Boys before and I really liked them. Of course I got them cheap on Close out some time
    back. I did have some flats with them, but I think it was before they got the flack jacket thing
    going. One downside of note they wore down pretty fast. About 1100 miles on a 1 1/4" rear tire is
    all I could get out of one. My riding weight is 250 + the bike and other stuff and your looking at
    about 290. I seem to do better on other tires. I'd ride them again if I could get them. Denny in
    Sayre, Pa "Bent but not broken" WWW.recumbentstuff.com

    "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Amazing how fast the answers are rolling in.. I posted before i left work, picked up a Specialized
    > Fat Boy slick on the way home (yes I know, I
    should
    > have waited), and now I can see that I have to get a S-lick too. The shop carried a Schwalbe
    > Marathon Slick as well, any opinions on this and the
    Fat
    > Boy?
    >
    > Thank's a bunch so far..
    >

    > "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my
    > evita.
    > > It has to be puncture resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have
    > > a low rolling resistance (slick
    preferred).
    > > will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for
    commuting.
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > TIA Torben

  11. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    Don't throw out that Fat Boy! That tire came on my Ryan Vanguard and it never flatted on me in 3
    years of moderate use, including 3 centuries. I replaced it more out of paranoia than need and
    hunted for a local one but settled on a bontrager copy.

    Torben Scheel wrote:
    > Amazing how fast the answers are rolling in.. I posted before i left work, picked up a Specialized
    > Fat Boy slick on the way home (yes I know, I should have waited), and now I can see that I have to
    > get a S-lick too. The shop carried a Schwalbe Marathon Slick as well, any opinions on this and the
    > Fat Boy?
    >
    > Thank's a bunch so far..
    >

    > "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my
    >
    > evita.
    >
    >>It has to be puncture resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have a
    >>low rolling resistance (slick preferred).

    >>will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for commuting. Any ideas?
    >>
    >>TIA Torben

  12. "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > picked up a Specialized Fat Boy slick on the way home. The shop carried a Schwalbe Marathon Slick
    > as well, any opinions on this and the Fat Boy?
    >
    > Thank's a bunch so far..x

    I have Fat Boys on my 1989 Schwinn, and the LBS said they stopped making them years ago. That
    is good news that they are still around! I have a Vredestein on another trike, and it seems
    pretty "beefy".

    Shwalbe is coming out soon with theMarathon Plus, I understand. The thicker tread is worth waiting
    for, for me. So far, only one blowout with a Schwalbe, so I tried Schwalbe again to get my money
    back if it blew again. It didn't.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  13. Steve Baker

    Steve Baker Guest

    > "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my
    > evita.
    > > It has to be puncture resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have
    > > a low rolling resistance (slick preferred).
    > > will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for commuting. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > TIA Torben

    I had a good experience last week. When I left for the GITAP ride here in Illinois, I forgot to put
    on a beefier rear tire on the Windcheetah, as I had planned to do. I made the run on a Hutchinson
    Top Slick (on sale at Nashbar) and it really performed well. No flats, not even any signs of stress
    after 500 miles of pretty rough roads and trails. It's light and rolls really well. (Besides, it's
    pretty with a yellow trim that matches the WC.) I'm glad I stocked up.

    FWIW.

    Steve Baker

  14. Denis Rivest

    Denis Rivest Guest

    [email protected] (Steve Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I had a good experience last week. When I left for the GITAP ride here in Illinois, I forgot to
    > put on a beefier rear tire on the Windcheetah, as I had planned to do. I made the run on a
    > Hutchinson Top Slick (on sale at Nashbar) and it really performed well. No flats, not even any
    > signs of stress after 500 miles of pretty rough roads and trails. It's light and rolls really
    > well. (Besides, it's pretty with a yellow trim that matches the WC.) I'm glad I stocked up.
    >
    > FWIW.
    >
    > Steve Baker

    Unfortunately, my experience with the Hutchison Top Slick (on the rear of my Stratus)last summer
    wasn't as good.

    I was 800 miles into my tour, when without any warning, I got a blowout. Fortunatly, I was able to
    come to a stop without falling.

    There was nothing in the area that I could see to cause this, and checking the tire, I found a
    jagged tear in the sidewall in an outward pattern.

    I checked my tire pressure every day, and kept it at 90 PSI.

    Who knows, maybe I damaged the sidewall earlier, weakening it so that is was ripe for a failure.

    By great fortune, I was reasonably near (2 miles or so) a LBS in Morrisburg Ont. that had a 26"
    Avocet Cross that he had ordered for a client who then changed his mind. He sold it to me for the
    low price of $19.00 as he wanted to get rid of it. It was then used by me for another 1200 miles
    until last month when, checking the tire after a flat, I noticed the rubber inside the z pattern of
    the tread was cracking. I replaced it with the original Primo Racer which still had a lot of rubber
    left on it (I had replaced it before the trip with the Hutchison due to concerns about wearing it
    out before the end of the trip)

    Point is, my experience with the Hutchison has left me leery of the brand.

    Regards,

    Denis Rivest

  15. L.M.Garcia

    L.M.Garcia Guest

    "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking for a narrow (1.0 - 1.4), high pressure rear tire for my evita. It has to be puncture
    > resistant (had two visits from the p.. fairy yesterday), and secondly have a low rolling
    > resistance (slick preferred). I will use it for everything from touring to race, but mostly for
    > commuting. Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA Torben

    Torben,

    You did not specify your weight, the total load, and the front/rear weight distribution, so my
    response may be invalid.

    That disclaimer aside, I vote for 1) Schwalbe Stelvio front/rear, 2) Vredestein S-Licks front/rear,
    3) Conti Avenue Semislick rear/Tioga Comp Pool front.

    By the way, I love Schwalbe inner tubes.

    Louis