Advice for training the L'Etape

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Vaughan McPhers, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. I have applied for the 2004 L'Etape, (239 km !!) I had my application in the day after opening so
    I'm optimistic about getting a place. This will be my first time for riding anything like this
    distance and I'm new to cycling but have always lead a active lifestyle, so my general fitness is
    reasonable. Can anyone recommend a training schedule from now until the event in July ? What sort of
    distances should I be riding in the weekends ? Any pointers to resources would be appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Vaughan McPherson wrote:
    > I have applied for the 2004 L'Etape, (239 km !!) I had my application in the day after opening so
    > I'm optimistic about getting a place. This will be my first time for riding anything like this
    > distance and I'm new to cycling but have always lead a active lifestyle, so my general fitness is
    > reasonable. Can anyone recommend a training schedule from now until the event in July ? What sort
    > of distances should I be riding in the weekends ? Any pointers to resources would be appreciated.

    The technique that seemed to work for Tim Moore in his book French Revolutions was don't do any
    training, blag some ephedrine from the chemist and load your bike up with panniers. On that basis
    you should be able to manage about 30kph average if the story as he tells it is anything to go by.

    Tony

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Vaughan McPherson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:igdVb.1030$Y%[email protected]...
    > What sort of distances should I be riding in the weekends ? Any pointers to resources would be
    > appreciated.

    Well, no personal experience but a chap I teamed up with on last years "Phil and Friends " ride
    had just completed L'Tape. He was in his fifties and a latecomer to cycling, his training had
    consisted of driving from Nottingham into Derbyshire (for the hills) and increase his mileage each
    week until it was close to that of L'Tape. He did little other riding but did attend spinning
    sessions during the week. And it certainly worked for him, on the hills he left me for dead, not
    that I'm a particularly good benchmark, mind :) Bearing in mind his training commenced during the
    winter, i.e. now!

    Good luck!
    --
    Regards, Pete

  4. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > He was in his fifties and a latecomer to cycling, his training had consisted of driving from
    > Nottingham into Derbyshire (for the hills) and increase his mileage each week

    Increase his mileage each week on his bike, which he took with him, not in his car ;-)

    --
    Regards, Pete

  5. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Vaughan McPherson wrote:
    > I have applied for the 2004 L'Etape, (239 km !!) I had my application in the day after opening so
    > I'm optimistic about getting a place. This will be my first time for riding anything like this
    > distance and I'm new to cycling but have always lead a active lifestyle, so my general fitness is
    > reasonable. Can anyone recommend a training schedule from now until the event in July ? What sort
    > of distances should I be riding in the weekends ? Any pointers to resources would be appreciated.

    I did an Audax ride yesterday. The chap I was cycling with was using Audax rides to train for
    L'Etape as they tend to increase in distance through the year and include a good few hills. They are
    also more of a challenge as the course is decided by someone other than yourself!

    Simon

  6. Tony Raven wrote:

    > The technique that seemed to work for Tim Moore in his book French Revolutions was don't do any
    > training, blag some ephedrine from the chemist and load your bike up with panniers. On that basis
    > you should be able to manage about 30kph average if the story as he tells it is anything to go by.

    Re-read it. He started hallucinating halfway up the Ventoux, bottled out and was rescued by his
    wife and kids!

  7. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Vaughan McPherson <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I have applied for the 2004 L'Etape, (239 km !!) I had my application in the day after opening so
    : I'm optimistic about getting a place. This will be my first time for riding anything like this
    : distance and I'm new to cycling but have always lead a active lifestyle, so my general fitness is
    : reasonable. Can anyone recommend a training schedule from now until the event in July ? What sort
    : of distances should I be riding in the weekends ? Any pointers to resources would be appreciated.

    1) Start now

    2) Build up the time/distance each week but by no more than 10% total in any week (maybe a little
    more for the first few weeks)

    3) Ride hills. Ride more hills. Ride more hills.

    4) Get out in the week as well.

    5) When things get nearer, chuck in two hard days in a row

    Without more details it's hard to be more specific. As a rough guide I'd say you need to be aiming
    to doing one 250k ride before the Etape to get used to the distance (little over distance to allow
    for the fact that it's likely to be easier terrain)

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  8. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Vaughan McPherson wrote:
    > > I have applied for the 2004 L'Etape, (239 km !!) I had my application in the day after opening
    > > so I'm optimistic about getting a place. This will be my first time for riding anything like
    > > this distance and I'm new to cycling but have always lead a active lifestyle, so my general
    > > fitness is reasonable. Can anyone recommend a training schedule from now until the event in July
    > > ? What sort of distances should I be riding in the weekends ? Any pointers to resources would be
    > > appreciated.
    >
    > I did an Audax ride yesterday. The chap I was cycling with was using Audax rides to train for
    > L'Etape as they tend to increase in distance through the year and include a good few hills. They
    > are also more of a challenge as the course is decided by someone other than yourself!

    I heard from another rider doing the Etape on another Audax ride that you need to do 30kph+ for the
    first however many k's. Audax rides will not prepare you for that type of pace;I would get in a few
    25's as well ;-)

  9. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:

    : I heard from another rider doing the Etape on another Audax ride that you need to do 30kph+ for
    : the first however many k's. Audax rides will not prepare you for that type of pace;I would get in
    : a few 25's as well ;-)

    It's not strictly necessary (and indeed I'd say is a bad idea unless you find that pace easy-ish) to
    go fast at the start of something like L'Etape. If you blow in the mountains it's mucho bad news and
    it's very easy to get caught up in the buzz at the start and go way to fast (I do).

    Doing some fast rides to get used to working hard is good as well. And if you do want to average
    30kph, then there's plenty of Audax rides where the front group averages that to the first
    control at least.

    Arthur

    --

  10. On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 22:00:19 -0000, Vaughan McPherson wrote:

    > I have applied for the 2004 L'Etape, (239 km !!) I had my application in the day after opening so
    > I'm optimistic about getting a place. This will be my first time for riding anything like this
    > distance and I'm new to cycling but have always lead a active lifestyle, so my general fitness is
    > reasonable. Can anyone recommend a training schedule from now until the event in July ? What sort
    > of distances should I be riding in the weekends ? Any pointers to resources would be appreciated.

    If I was doing this I would seriously consider some weight training as part of my preparation. See
    books such as 'The Lance Armstrong Performance Program' or Joe Friel's 'Cyclist's Training Bible'
    for detailed advice.
    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in
    others." -Samuel Johnson www.macclancy.demon.co.uk www.macclancy.co.uk

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : I heard from another rider doing the Etape on another Audax ride that you need to do 30kph+ for
    > : the first however many k's. Audax rides will not prepare you for that type of pace;I would get
    > : in a few 25's as well ;-)
    >
    > It's not strictly necessary (and indeed I'd say is a bad idea unless you find that pace easy-ish)
    > to go fast at the start of something like L'Etape. If you blow in the mountains it's mucho bad
    > news and it's very easy to get caught up in the buzz at the start and go way to fast (I do).

    I think they've introduced a new rule this year that you must cover the first 30k in an hour. After
    that the elimination speed reverts to 19 kph. I think the idea is to stretch the field out early on.
    Riders who are basically fit but not used to riding fast in a bunch could find it interesting.

    --
    Dave...

  12. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : I heard from another rider doing the Etape on another Audax ride that you need to do 30kph+ for
    > : the first however many k's. Audax rides will not prepare you for that type of pace;I would get
    > : in a few 25's as well ;-)
    >
    > It's not strictly necessary (and indeed I'd say is a bad idea unless you find that pace easy-ish)

    snip

    Yes, don't treat it like a road race, just be aware that you need to maintain that minimum speed
    initially, which should not be too hard in a bunch. It would be really bad to go all that way and
    end up in the broom wagon at the first control which is apparently what will happen this year if you
    don't maintain that average (perhaps they have introduced this this year to counter accusations of
    the Etape being _dumbed down_). Only going on what I've heard, not personal experience.

  13. W K

    W K Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I think they've introduced a new rule this year that you must cover the first 30k in an hour.
    > After that the elimination speed reverts to 19 kph. I think the idea is to stretch the field out
    > early on. Riders who are basically fit but not used to riding fast in a bunch could find it
    > interesting.

    Wow. Harsh. Especially with the length and hillness of this year's.

    I've wondered about it but unless I'm doing lots of fast 100 - 200k's I'll leave it out. I would be
    very impressed if anyone could do a decent 200k with 6 month's training from scratch.

    The OP could face real physical barriers like overtraining and running out of skin. I do have the
    long distance cycling book, and I believe it recommends building up to something like this over a
    period of years!

  14. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:

    : I think they've introduced a new rule this year that you must cover the first 30k in an hour.
    : After that the elimination speed reverts to 19 kph.

    Hm. I was going to disagree here. I thought that the original proposal was for a max speed for the
    first hour or so, but yes, it seems you are right.

    See http://www.etape.org.uk -> Etape 2004 -> Route.

    That will be interesting for those doing the Etape.

    So I think some practice in fast group riding would be an excellent thing to include. Find a local
    club and ask what they do in the way of rides that would be suitable.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  15. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Dave Kahn wrote:
    > ... I think the idea is to stretch the field out early on. Riders who are basically fit but not
    > used to riding fast in a bunch could find it interesting.

    Probably to eliminate the slower riders early so they are less of a problem towards the end of the
    day. A bit harsh in my opinion, will cause some riders to make the first cut by over cooking
    themselves then get into difficulties later instead of plodding for the whole day. Still its their
    event they can do what they please.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  16. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Vaughan McPherson <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I have applied for the 2004 L'Etape, (239 km !!) I had my application in the day after opening so
    : I'm optimistic about getting a place. This will be my first time for riding anything like this
    : distance and I'm new to cycling but have always lead a active lifestyle, so my general fitness is
    : reasonable.

    Can you give more details on what you do so far? What do you consider a "reasonable" level of
    fitness? Given that we could give more detailed advice.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  17. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Probably to eliminate the slower riders early so they are less of a problem towards the end of the
    : day. A bit harsh in my opinion, will cause some riders to make the first cut by over cooking
    : themselves then get into difficulties later instead of plodding for the whole day. Still its their
    : event they can do what they please.

    I've been thinking about this. I don't think it's that harsh. If you can't make 18mph on a flat road
    in a big group then I very much doubt that you'd make the full distance within the timelimit.

    The next elimination point seems to have a 12mph cutoff, which also seems fine.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  18. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : I heard from another rider doing the Etape on another Audax ride that you need to do 30kph+ for
    > : the first however many k's.
    This year they are having a controlled section for the first 30(?)km of the stage. Nobody will be
    able to do over 30kph. However even I can manage that in a large bunch whereas I struggle to
    maintain an average of 25/26 on my own. Bonne route Dan Gregory

  19. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "Dan Gregory" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > : I heard from another rider doing the Etape on another Audax ride that you need to do 30kph+
    > > : for the first however many k's.
    > This year they are having a controlled section for the first 30(?)km of the stage. Nobody will be
    > able to do over 30kph. However even I can manage that in a large bunch whereas I struggle to
    > maintain an average of 25/26 on my own. Bonne route Dan Gregory

    If you don't get in there is always L'Ardechoise; I would go for that in preference to l'Etape if I
    had the choice/annual leave.

    http://www.lamastre.com/ardechoise.htm

  20. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Dan Gregory <[email protected]> wrote:

    : This year they are having a controlled section for the first 30(?)km of the stage. Nobody will be
    : able to do over 30kph. However even I can manage that in a large bunch whereas I struggle to
    : maintain an average of 25/26 on my own.

    I belive that this isn't true now. They were going to do this, but they have changed the plan. See
    www.etape.org.uk

    Arthur