Advice for training the L'Etape

"Dan Gregory" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> This year they are having a controlled section for the first 30(?)km of the stage. Nobody will be
> able to do over 30kph. However even I can manage that in a large bunch whereas I struggle to
> maintain an average of 25/26 on my own.

From my reading of the web site I think you have that the wrong way round. 30 kph will be the
average speed not the maximum (une vitesse moyenne de 30 km/h jusqu'au km 30). I read that as the
average speed required to avoid elimination. The idea is to stretch the bunch and avoid mass falls
(afin d'étirer le peloton et d'éviter des chutes collectives). Holding the bunch back would have the
opposite effect.

As Arthur says it shouldn't be a problem to roll at that speed for anyone capable of doing the
entire event at the required 19 kph. It just means no plodding at the start. An early puncture might
be exciting though. If it's like last year's there will be a rolling start. You've already done
about a kilometre and are moving nicely by the time you reach the start line so riders with high
start numbers shouldn't be disadvantaged. Each rider is individually timed across the start and
finish and various control points by a chip worn on the ankle.

--
Dave...

Arthur Clune wrote:
> MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Probably to eliminate the slower riders early so they are less of a problem towards the end of
>> the day. A bit harsh in my opinion, will cause some riders to make the first cut by over cooking
>> themselves then get into difficulties later instead of plodding for the whole day. Still its
>> their event they can do what they please.
>
> I've been thinking about this. I don't think it's that harsh. If you can't make 18mph on a flat
> road in a big group then I very much doubt that you'd make the full distance within the timelimit.

Harsh in respect of if you are a trundly you aren't welcome.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:

: Harsh in respect of if you are a trundly you aren't welcome.

The Etape is a cyclo-sportif though, not a tour. Trundlies aren't going to get round it in the time
available.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"