Advice for van cycle rack

Adam Lipscombe

Guest
Folks,

I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold 3 or 4 bikes. My van is a
bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a rack that is made specially for it.

That leaves the generic strap type racks. Can anyone reccomend a good model that is sturdy, secure
and doesnt scratch the bikes or vehicle?

Many thanks - Adam Lipscombe

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:37:19 +0100, "Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> in
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold 3 or 4 bikes. My van is a
>bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a rack that is made specially for it.

How about buying a new camper van? (InJoke TM)

--
"Netiquette" states that a signature should be no more than four lines long.

> I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold
3
> or 4 bikes. My van is a bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a
rack
> that is made specially for it.

What van? What's unusual about it?

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

Adam Lipscombe tried to scribble ...

> Folks,
>

> I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold 3 or 4 bikes. My van is a
> bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a rack that is made specially for it.
>
> That leaves the generic strap type racks. Can anyone reccomend a good model that is sturdy, secure
> and doesnt scratch the bikes or vehicle?
>

> Many thanks - Adam Lipscombe

A lot may depend on the van and what else may be on the back of it ..

Why not just bolt a 'normal' strap type carrier to the rear .. I've seen many vans equipped this
way. Use Plumbers plastic lagging for protecting the bikes etc .. ;)

--
Digweed '79 Beamish RL 250, '85 Swift Corvette, '88 Ford Escort 1.6 Ghia, '95 Dyna-Tech CroMo Comp,
'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi, '02 Schumacher CAT 3000, '03 Losi Kinwald Triple-X, '03 Associated

"Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> writes:

> Folks,
>

> I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold 3 or 4 bikes. My van is a
> bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a rack that is made specially for it.
>
> That leaves the generic strap type racks. Can anyone reccomend a good model that is sturdy, secure
> and doesnt scratch the bikes or vehicle?

Do you have an externally mounted spare wheel, or else a tow bar?

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Ring of great evil Small one
casts it into flame Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

Its a Mazda Bongo - japanese import. Lovely van but difficult to get accesories for in the UK :)

"Robert Bruce" <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to
hold
> 3
> > or 4 bikes. My van is a bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a
> rack
> > that is made specially for it.
>
> What van? What's unusual about it?
>
> --
> Rob
>
> Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

No external spare wheel or tow-bar.

I thought about having a tow-bar fitted and then a cycle carrier that fits on that but the total
cost is getting on for £300... I can get a strap type carrier for @£50-£70, but a friend said that
their one damaged their car....

TIA - Adam

> "Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Folks,
> >

> > I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to
hold 3
> > or 4 bikes. My van is a bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a
rack
> > that is made specially for it.
> >
> > That leaves the generic strap type racks. Can anyone reccomend a good
model
> > that is sturdy, secure and doesnt scratch the bikes or vehicle?
>
> Do you have an externally mounted spare wheel, or else a tow bar?
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Ring of great evil Small one
> casts it into flame Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

"Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Its a Mazda Bongo - japanese import. Lovely van but difficult to get accesories for in the UK :)

www.roofbox.co.uk are supposed to be very helpful for this sort of thing. They do list Thule roof
bars for the Mazda Bongo Brawny which then allows roof mounted bike racks. If that is not what you
need it might be worth contacting them for advice.

hope that's of help

rgds Malcolm

Bingo!! The very same - many thanks...

Had a look at the Fiamma website but cant see the samne model. Dont suppose you know which it is?

Cheers - Adam

http://partners.fiamma.it/en/homeng.asp
> for details.
>
> --
> Rob
>
> Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

"Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Folks,
>
> I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold
3
> or 4 bikes. My van is a bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a
rack
> that is made specially for it.
>
> That leaves the generic strap type racks. Can anyone reccomend a good
model
> that is sturdy, secure and doesnt scratch the bikes or vehicle?

Alternatively go home made. Carry the bikes vertically on the back doors with the front wheel out.
I'll be reminded this weekend of how the one I've seen works.

cheers, clive