Advice for van cycle rack

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Adam Lipscombe, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Folks,

    I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold 3 or 4 bikes. My van is a
    bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a rack that is made specially for it.

    That leaves the generic strap type racks. Can anyone reccomend a good model that is sturdy, secure
    and doesnt scratch the bikes or vehicle?

    Many thanks - Adam Lipscombe

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:37:19 +0100, "Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold 3 or 4 bikes. My van is a
    >bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a rack that is made specially for it.

    How about buying a new camper van? (InJoke TM)

    --
    "Netiquette" states that a signature should be no more than four lines long.

  3. Robert Bruce

    Robert Bruce Guest

    > I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold
    3
    > or 4 bikes. My van is a bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a
    rack
    > that is made specially for it.

    What van? What's unusual about it?

    --
    Rob

    Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

  4. Adam Lipscombe tried to scribble ...

    > Folks,
    >

    > I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold 3 or 4 bikes. My van is a
    > bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a rack that is made specially for it.
    >
    > That leaves the generic strap type racks. Can anyone reccomend a good model that is sturdy, secure
    > and doesnt scratch the bikes or vehicle?
    >

    > Many thanks - Adam Lipscombe

    A lot may depend on the van and what else may be on the back of it ..

    Why not just bolt a 'normal' strap type carrier to the rear .. I've seen many vans equipped this
    way. Use Plumbers plastic lagging for protecting the bikes etc .. ;)

    --
    Digweed '79 Beamish RL 250, '85 Swift Corvette, '88 Ford Escort 1.6 Ghia, '95 Dyna-Tech CroMo Comp,
    '97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi, '02 Schumacher CAT 3000, '03 Losi Kinwald Triple-X, '03 Associated

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Folks,
    >

    > I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold 3 or 4 bikes. My van is a
    > bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a rack that is made specially for it.
    >
    > That leaves the generic strap type racks. Can anyone reccomend a good model that is sturdy, secure
    > and doesnt scratch the bikes or vehicle?

    Do you have an externally mounted spare wheel, or else a tow bar?

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Ring of great evil Small one
    casts it into flame Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

  6. Its a Mazda Bongo - japanese import. Lovely van but difficult to get accesories for in the UK :)

    "Robert Bruce" <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to
    hold
    > 3
    > > or 4 bikes. My van is a bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a
    > rack
    > > that is made specially for it.
    >
    > What van? What's unusual about it?
    >
    > --
    > Rob
    >
    > Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

  7. No external spare wheel or tow-bar.

    I thought about having a tow-bar fitted and then a cycle carrier that fits on that but the total
    cost is getting on for £300... I can get a strap type carrier for @£50-£70, but a friend said that
    their one damaged their car....

    TIA - Adam

    > "Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > Folks,
    > >

    > > I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to
    hold 3
    > > or 4 bikes. My van is a bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a
    rack
    > > that is made specially for it.
    > >
    > > That leaves the generic strap type racks. Can anyone reccomend a good
    model
    > > that is sturdy, secure and doesnt scratch the bikes or vehicle?
    >
    > Do you have an externally mounted spare wheel, or else a tow bar?
    >
    > --
    > [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Ring of great evil Small one
    > casts it into flame Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

  8. Jinx

    Jinx Guest

    "Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Its a Mazda Bongo - japanese import. Lovely van but difficult to get accesories for in the UK :)

    www.roofbox.co.uk are supposed to be very helpful for this sort of thing. They do list Thule roof
    bars for the Mazda Bongo Brawny which then allows roof mounted bike racks. If that is not what you
    need it might be worth contacting them for advice.

    hope that's of help

    rgds Malcolm

  9. Robert Bruce

    Robert Bruce Guest

  10. Bingo!! The very same - many thanks...

    Had a look at the Fiamma website but cant see the samne model. Dont suppose you know which it is?

    Cheers - Adam

    http://partners.fiamma.it/en/homeng.asp
    > for details.
    >
    > --
    > Rob
    >
    > Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

  11. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Adam Lipscombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Folks,
    >
    > I am looking for a cycle rack to go on the back of my camper can to hold
    3
    > or 4 bikes. My van is a bit unusual and as far as I know there is not a
    rack
    > that is made specially for it.
    >
    > That leaves the generic strap type racks. Can anyone reccomend a good
    model
    > that is sturdy, secure and doesnt scratch the bikes or vehicle?

    Alternatively go home made. Carry the bikes vertically on the back doors with the front wheel out.
    I'll be reminded this weekend of how the one I've seen works.

    cheers, clive