Advice? From Zero to Olympic-Distance

Ac

Guest
Hi,

I'm hoping some of you old pros here can give me some advice/help. Hopefully, soon, I'll do the same
for others!

I've been playing with the idea of doing a triathlon for awhile. I've run recreationally-competitive
for some time (5Ks mostly, coming in around 25:00), and I began swimming about six months ago. I'm
up to about a mile now ... 35 laps (back and forth) in a 25 yard pool -- that's about right, right?
It takes me about 45 minutes.

I haven't done much competitive biking, but I think I can handle that component.

What I'm hoping some of you out there can tell me is, am I on good enough track to compete in
the (Olympic distance!) New York City triathlon in August? I know I'm probably not, at the
training level I'm at -- but I've got about four months. Which leads me to the second question.
How do I train?

I've poked around for the web, and am a little confused. I did the same for the marathon awhile
back, but that was easy -- it was just about building up mileage. But triathlons seem different. It
seems all the beginner advice is out there is geared for sprints, but I can't seem to find a
sprint-distance tri in the New York area to train for.

I've taken one step though, and that is to register for the Total Immersion course here in NYC in
May. I've read enough about how swimming's the hardest component, and I saw the FAQs high
recommendation... but that's about all the preparation I've done so far, other than keeping up with
my regular modest workout schedule.

(to be honest, I got into this because I really wanted to do the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon. I
figure doing the New York one will give me a taste before I do that big one!)

Thanks soo much (in advance) for all your advice! Give me the chance to realize your hard-gained
knowledge! :)

Andrew

Andrew, I have heard that the New York City Tri is tough due to the fact that you are swimming in
the Hudson River. I am not sure that is going to be the best as a first race. Check out my website
for New York Area Triathlons and you will see that there are fair amount of sprint distance races
around. The web site is: http://www.transitiontimes.com/localnews.cfm?local=newyork

I have also heard that the LI Gold Coast Triathlon on June 15 this year is a great sprint race
to start in. The Westchester Triathlon in the middle of September at Rye Playland is also a very
good race for a first Olympic Distance. The swim is calm waters of the sound, the bike is a bit
hilly, and the run is flat. Hope this helps. --Aaron

"ac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping some of you old pros here can give me some advice/help. Hopefully, soon, I'll do the
> same for others!
>
> I've been playing with the idea of doing a triathlon for awhile. I've run
> recreationally-competitive for some time (5Ks mostly, coming in around 25:00), and I began
> swimming about six months ago. I'm up to about a mile now ... 35 laps (back and forth) in a 25
> yard pool -- that's about right, right? It takes me about 45 minutes.
>
> I haven't done much competitive biking, but I think I can handle that component.
>
> What I'm hoping some of you out there can tell me is, am I on good enough track to compete in
> the (Olympic distance!) New York City triathlon in August? I know I'm probably not, at the
> training level I'm at -- but I've got about four months. Which leads me to the second question.
> How do I train?
>
> I've poked around for the web, and am a little confused. I did the same for the marathon awhile
> back, but that was easy -- it was just about building up mileage. But triathlons seem different.
> It seems all the beginner advice is out there is geared for sprints, but I can't seem to find a
> sprint-distance tri in the New York area to train for.
>
> I've taken one step though, and that is to register for the Total Immersion course here in NYC in
> May. I've read enough about how swimming's the hardest component, and I saw the FAQs high
> recommendation... but that's about all the preparation I've done so far, other than keeping up
> with my regular modest workout schedule.
>
> (to be honest, I got into this because I really wanted to do the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon. I
> figure doing the New York one will give me a taste before I do that big one!)
>
> Thanks soo much (in advance) for all your advice! Give me the chance to realize your hard-gained
> knowledge! :)
>
> Andrew

A *great* first triathlon is held in Wyckoff, NJ, about 15 miles from the GW Bridge, every year in
June. It's a 1/2 mile swim in a lake, a 15 mile bike, and a 5 mile run. The lake is fairly calm, the
water was warm enough one time that some didn't use wetsuits although most did, and the bike and
run, while not board-flat, aren't horrible, either. I haven't done the whole thing myself but was
the running member of a masters team a couple of years ago.

<http://www.wyckoffymca.com/Triathlon_Info_Page.html>
<http://www.wyckoffymca.com/Triathlon_Application.html> <http://www.wyckoffymca.com>

-S-

news.verizon.net <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have heard that the New York City Tri is tough due to the fact that
> you are swimming in the Hudson River. I am not sure that is going to be the
> best as a first race. Check out my website for New York Area Triathlons and

Didn't they nearly kill some people the first year scheduling the swim during a major tide shift?
People getting swept under barges.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Thanks guys!

Alas, I've already signed up for the NYC Triathlon. Hopefully I can get some of the ones you've
suggested in before I do the NYC one. The big problem is, I don't have transportation -- so the NYC
Tri seemed like the best bet.

I've already stepped up my training. I've got a few newbie questions, but I'll take them up in
another thread...

Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> A *great* first triathlon is held in Wyckoff, NJ, about 15 miles from the GW Bridge, every year in
> June. It's a 1/2 mile swim in a lake, a 15 mile bike, and a 5 mile run. The lake is fairly calm,
> the water was warm enough one time that some didn't use wetsuits although most did, and the bike
> and run, while not board-flat, aren't horrible, either. I haven't done the whole thing myself but
> was the running member of a masters team a couple of years ago.
>
> <http://www.wyckoffymca.com/Triathlon_Info_Page.html>
> <http://www.wyckoffymca.com/Triathlon_Application.html> <http://www.wyckoffymca.com>
>
> -S-
>
> ac wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm hoping some of you old pros here can give me some advice/help. Hopefully, soon, I'll do the
> > same for others!
> >
> > I've been playing with the idea of doing a triathlon for awhile. I've run
> > recreationally-competitive for some time (5Ks mostly, coming in around 25:00), and I began
> > swimming about six months ago. I'm up to about a mile now ... 35 laps (back and forth) in a 25
> > yard pool -- that's about right, right? It takes me about 45 minutes.
> >
> > I haven't done much competitive biking, but I think I can handle that component.
> >
> > What I'm hoping some of you out there can tell me is, am I on good enough track to compete in
> > the (Olympic distance!) New York City triathlon in August? I know I'm probably not, at the
> > training level I'm at -- but I've got about four months. Which leads me to the second question.
> > How do I train?
> >
> > I've poked around for the web, and am a little confused. I did the same for the marathon awhile
> > back, but that was easy -- it was just about building up mileage. But triathlons seem different.
> > It seems all the beginner advice is out there is geared for sprints, but I can't seem to find a
> > sprint-distance tri in the New York area to train for.
> >
> > I've taken one step though, and that is to register for the Total Immersion course here in NYC
> > in May. I've read enough about how swimming's the hardest component, and I saw the FAQs high
> > recommendation... but that's about all the preparation I've done so far, other than keeping up
> > with my regular modest workout schedule.
> >
> > (to be honest, I got into this because I really wanted to do the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon.
> > I figure doing the New York one will give me a taste before I do that big one!)
> >
> > Thanks soo much (in advance) for all your advice! Give me the chance to realize your hard-gained
> > knowledge! :)
> >
> > Andrew

[email protected] (ac) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [...]
> > > awhile back, but that was easy -- it was just about building up mileage. But triathlons seem
> > > different. It seems all the beginner advice is out there is geared for sprints, but I can't
> > > seem to find a sprint-distance tri in the New York area to train for.
> > >
> > > I've taken one step though, and that is to register for the Total Immersion course here in NYC
> > > in May. I've read enough about how swimming's the hardest component, and I saw the FAQs high
> > > recommendation... but that's about all the preparation I've done so far, other than keeping up
> > > with my regular modest workout schedule.
> > >
> > > (to be honest, I got into this because I really wanted to do the Escape from Alcatraz
> > > triathlon. I figure doing the New York one will give me a taste before I do that big one!)
> > >
> > > Thanks soo much (in advance) for all your advice! Give me the chance to realize your

Most of your training should be on the bike, with several brick workouts thrown in. I recommend you
get a training program NOW! Try www.trinewbies.com They have several plans posted for free, and I
think they have links to some others available for nominal fees. If you want to finish in under 3
hours, you will need to invest at least 10 hours or so per week training.

Keep training,

Spyder