Advice/Help Building First Bike

PowerSerg122

Nov 25, 2014
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums and cycling. While in school I would build to lots of stress and frustration. Who doesn't. I hike a lot and it always cleared my mind and recharged the batteries. I wanted to get into cycling once my buddies started telling me about how amazing their tours were from San Francisco to Los Angeles and all over so I asked my step brother if I could borrow his bike to ride. Kept it for half a year constantly riding day and night. Had the same effect as hiking but I zoned out to my own world and it felt great. I gave the bike back a couple months ago and haven't pedaled since. He had a nice Diamond Back mountain bike. It was a little short for me but it worked. I decided instead of buying a new bike with everything included I chose to build one up.a fun project as well as having something I know will be personal to me and will take me to awesome sights. Now here's the kicker. I'm new to this world and have no idea what I should look for or what sizes of parts and how-to. I do however have an idea of what I want. Like I do know I really like Shimano products. That's why I'm here for your advice and help. Now I already bought a bike frame. The Performance Bike brand Scattante SS. I would like to make this into a tour/road bike if that makes sense. I'm 5'11. 6" on a good day. So what is that, 58 in frame? Haha see I'm that clueless about it. I don't have the funds to make this a dream bike by any means but one that can take me to great places when ever I would like to go. With that said the first thing in looking at getting is a fork. Anyone have any opinions for good tour forks that aren't above $200? I was told surly was a good brand of fork for touring. More specifically the surly cross check fork. Any input would be helpful in building this bike. I'm already grown attached to the frame so just imagine when it's complete. Thanks everybody. Serg.

IF you're on a budget, building a bike from scratch is a rather poor idea. Bike parts are a lot more expensive piecemeal than when bought as a complete bike. And there are some special tools that you'll need to get too, and/or stuff that you'll have to ask a shop to do. Far better to pick up a used bike, ride it until you've figured out what things you like and what works for you, THEN build your dream bike. For general sizing, I've been quite happy with the fit calculators on wrenchscience.com and competitivecyclist.com.

dabac said:
IF you're on a budget, building a bike from scratch is a rather poor idea. Bike parts are a lot more expensive piecemeal than when bought as a complete bike. And there are some special tools that you'll need to get too, and/or stuff that you'll have to ask a shop to do. Far better to pick up a used bike, ride it until you've figured out what things you like and what works for you, THEN build your dream bike. For general sizing, I've been quite happy with the fit calculators on wrenchscience.com and competitivecyclist.com.
Thanks. Well I wasn't planning on building this any time soon. So budget wise not really but I'm going to wait when the sales are around like now for example. I looked into a whole bike at first but I wanted this to be my project something personal. I may buy a used bike in the mean time but this one I'm going to build. Thanks for the links! I appreciate it.