Advice/Help needed for bike purchase

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by xxbackhillxx, May 9, 2006.

1. xxbackhillxx

xxbackhillxx New Member

First of all, hello everyone. I was searching for a few reputable bike manufacturers besides Trek and came across this site. I found the forum to have a hefty number of users on it so I know I'll get a lot of good responses and feedback.

I currently have a one speed BMX bike from 5th grade that is finally starting to fall apart. This will be where your guy's feedback will come in handy as I don't have any knowledge of road or mtn bikes.

Anyways, I've been looking for a bike for about the past week. I'm largely interested in a road bike for fitness reasons (50-75 miles/week). The trick is, I commute around campus (I go to Michigan State University) and the bike will definitely take a beating on the sidewalks and street crossings (going up and down curbs from the street).

I know a mountain bike is ideal in a student commuter situation but I also want something for fitness that I can take on long trips.

What I'm looking for is a road bike that can handle some beating but still be somewhat of a speedster for under $850. I've been looking at the Trek 7.5 FX fitness bike but I was wondering what some of you guys thought on this matter. Let me know soon because the weather is too nice and I'm very anxious to start riding.

Tags:

2. xxbackhillxx

xxbackhillxx New Member

Well ... I sprung and got a Trek 1000 54 inch. I'll look for a used mtn bike for commuting when school nears again.

3. DOUGEG

DOUGEG New Member

You might consider a cyclocross bike - road style. They're basically a road bike with all the features of one, except, they generally have a stronger rim, a larger slightly fatter tire with some tread, and usually a different break set-up. These bikes are great for commuting (thinner tires that MTN bikes) and you can cruz off road in a pinch. Check out roadbikereviews online, go to cyclocross. New 800-1300, used 1/2 that. :)

4. xxbackhillxx

xxbackhillxx New Member

I considered them but I don't have the money for one unless I find one used, which would take a while.

I got the Trek 1000 for a pretty good deal at $640 out the door. As I advance I'll keep the frame and slowly learn and upgrade the parts.

5. DOUGEG

DOUGEG New Member

Ya, I didn't notice that you had written a response. Well, good luck man, enjoy your bike.