Advice needed about new bike

caitlin

Jan 15, 2005
Hi there. A couple of days ago I purchased a Marin San Anselmo (a hybrid, "city" bike). I've been riding it to and from work and have found I get a tightening in my lower back and possibly the middle as well. I'm not sure if this is due to the type of work I do (market research, sitting in chair for 6 hrs) or the bike itself. I can't remember if I had this problem with my last bike (a mountain bike). The bike is reasonably upright, this may be the problem. The seat is raised to about 10 centimetres and I can almost stand on the ball of my foot. Is this the right height? I'm 5"2 (157cms) and the bike is a size 15.5. If I put the seat down any further, I feel like my knees are coming up too high, I'm quite conscious of the movement of my knees and legs at the moment as it is, probably because the bike is quite upright. If the bike is causing the problem, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do about it? Also, I've found the bike is quite slow going up hills. I've tried it on two different gears; 6 and 2, 3, or 4 (can't remember which sorry!). Having it in 6th gear seems to give it a bit more grip going uphill, but it's still slower than I would like. Also, the design of the bike doesn't allow me to stand up and pedal like my previous bike did. I also need lights and am wondering which kind would be the best to get? I often ride at night, anytime between 6pm-5am, so need to be seen easily. My bum also gets a bit sore on the seat and I slide forward, I can't seem to sit back on it.
Would seat suspension make a different to either the back or seat problem? Is it any good? Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like you may need to make some adjustments to get the bike to fit you. You should be able to stand and pedal with everything adjust correctly. The saddle position could be adjusted to stop the sliding forward and to allow you to lean forward a little more, which might help with the back problems. The shop where you bought the bike should be able to help with adjustments. If they can't or won't, you might want to find a shop that will.

The bike has a triple front chainring, so hills shouldn't be too big a problem. Don't be afraid to use to smallest front chainring on the steeper hills.

As for lights, a flashing LED tail light should be fine. You will need to decide what you want to use for a headlight. Prices range from reasonable to very expensive. You also have a choice of mounting it on the handlebars or your helmet. A large selection of lights can befound online at http://www.performancebike.com