Advice needed: LBS vs Fit Kit Mumbo Jumbo

FREDBLACK

Feb 27, 2006
Hi all
I have just received advice from my physio, who said i could not go wrong with my decision to buy a bike, as long as i get fitted properly. Surprise surprise.

Now the question. Along the way, my physio mentioned the fit kits, computerised and otherwise, that are available in some bike stores. However, she said she could not provide much advice on them.
One close by LBS actually has one of those fit kits. However, he is more of a salesman interested in selling his expensive stuff. The two smaller LBS's whom i feel comfortable with, (because they never tried to convince me to buy a thing, recommended i go check out other shops, provided heaps of advice and asked me to come back with more questions to talk), dont appear to have one. They might but i haven't seen it.

So my question is: Is a Fit Kit necessary for a good fitting? can an experienced LBSer do it without one of those fancy looking machines? I am confident that an idiot operating this machine would get you killed on a bike. But is it necessary for proper fitting?

Thanks you all

FREDBLACK said:
Hi all
I have just received advice from my physio, who said i could not go wrong with my decision to buy a bike, as long as i get fitted properly. Surprise surprise.

Now the question. Along the way, my physio mentioned the fit kits, computerised and otherwise, that are available in some bike stores. However, she said she could not provide much advice on them.
One close by LBS actually has one of those fit kits. However, he is more of a salesman interested in selling his expensive stuff. The two smaller LBS's whom i feel comfortable with, (because they never tried to convince me to buy a thing, recommended i go check out other shops, provided heaps of advice and asked me to come back with more questions to talk), dont appear to have one. They might but i haven't seen it.

So my question is: Is a Fit Kit necessary for a good fitting? can an experienced LBSer do it without one of those fancy looking machines? I am confident that an idiot operating this machine would get you killed on a bike. But is it necessary for proper fitting?

Thanks you all
Not really, IMHO. Any experienced person can set you up with a comfortable fit. There's some room each way for each bike size people smaller or larger than that bike was designed for.

Once you've got your frame size (usually based on a rider's height or leglength/inseam), as long the seat height, crank length, and stem length and stem rise are set up properly, you should be comfortable enough.

A decent shop will set the seat height for you once you pick up your bike, and give you a good guess-timate of the appropriate stem length and rise. Some even allow you to exchange your stem for another one so you can get the right length or rise by trial and error after you're purchased the bike.

The only thing that really has to be decided on before the purchase is the crank length, and this can be quite reliably estimated.

The "fit kit" machines are aimed at people after a custom sized frame - ie. one optimised to get every last inch of speed from the frame. For the average buyer, this isn't really worth the 1-2k more it will cost to do this over buying a stock frame and having it set up properly.

HTH,

nerdag

Fred,

if you are in Sydney go to Steve Hogg at Peddlepushers Cyclefit in Randwick, if in or near Melbourne, go to John Kennedy at Kennedy Cyclefit in Black Rock...if anywhere else get a plane or drive..to either!

No computerised kit will do it...no LBS can do it...

You need someone who has fitted professionally at least 10,000 people...

Both these guys do it...

kennedy set up the Cycle fit system... he was traind by Eddie B, and his method is that expounded by Keith Bontrager and Sheldon Brown...

Your fit cannot be solved by a piece of string, rulers, sticks or a KOPS system most bike shops and bike coaches follow...

You must be observed on a bike...your physiology assessed, your aspirations discussed and your riding style determined, then a fit designed to place you in an antomically correct position in space to allow your pedal action and exertion to maximise without causing your body and mind grief.

As you have been to a physio and know you need to be properly fitted...now do your self a favour, spend between $150 and $250 depending on what service you seek and go see these guys. Neither will expect you to buy anything.

Your riding future will be determined by what you do now!... it can be anxious, painful and agonisingly expensive if you do what most riders do and rely on an LBS, or, it will be a breeze based on a solid foundation of a professional fit from the best in Australia... and these guys fit pro tour riders, tri-athletes and masters at the most elite of levels down to locals riding to the shop.

Ride well, ride safely and enjoy your life better than you ever knew with a professional fit.

I have been looking into getting the right fit while the $50 note stack builds up for my next bike.

Here's an article on the matter from a bloke whose been around for years and doesn't like the pushy and unduly techo approach to things. I like the way he covers the effects of adjustments both ways (say fore/aft) and how they enhance either comfort or speed. His approach enables you to adjust the variables as you get more flexible and fitter.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

You should find that helpful..

davedbk

kennedy, kennedy, kennedy. everything he said made sense to me. didnt get him to build a bike but used my lbs, very happy with results.