Advice needed on Campy Aero Rims?

Buddy2004

Aug 11, 2004
Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading my mavic wheels on my road bike. At present, I do a lot of group rides on fairly flat terrain and was considering more of an aero design.

A friend has a pair of used Campy shamal 40mm wheels (20 spoke rear, 16 front) with record hubs for sale (7 - 8 spd hub). Before I enquire further, I have some questions -

I have an all shimano 600 set up (8spd) - can I put a shimano cassette on a record hub, or alternatively, can I run shimano 600 with a campy cassette?

Any general comments on using these wheels for the type of riding I am doing (group rides, typically 40 to 60 miles, average speed 20mph). I am looking to progress and next year would like to have a go at some club racing, time trials etc.

Thanks!

Buddy2004 said:
Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading my mavic wheels on my road bike. At present, I do a lot of group rides on fairly flat terrain and was considering more of an aero design.

A friend has a pair of used Campy shamal 40mm wheels (20 spoke rear, 16 front) with record hubs for sale (7 - 8 spd hub). Before I enquire further, I have some questions -

I have an all shimano 600 set up (8spd) - can I put a shimano cassette on a record hub, or alternatively, can I run shimano 600 with a campy cassette?

Any general comments on using these wheels for the type of riding I am doing (group rides, typically 40 to 60 miles, average speed 20mph). I am looking to progress and next year would like to have a go at some club racing, time trials etc.

Thanks!
You can't stick a shimano cassette on a campy hub. Shimano 8 cog spacing is 4.8mm,and campy 8 is 5mm. Close enough it often works.

Buddy2004 said:
Hi,

Thanks!

That wheelset would probably be quite suitable for your type of riding. You cannot put the Shimano cassette on the Campagnolo freehub. The campy cassette may (but not perfectly) work with your drivetrain as it is, but for better performance you may respace a Campy 8s cassette to 8s Shimano spacing with a spacer conversion kit from Wheels Manufacturing and available from Branford Bike (and probably others).

http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog10.html#item2