Advice needed on comfy shorts for long distance riding

christiani1984

Apr 12, 2012
Hey guys,

I'll be cycling 5 mountain stages of the Tour de France in July for charity and am looking to buy my very first pair of padded shorts.

Before I read too much into reviews online, I thought I'd ask you experts which shorts you think would be comfiest/ least chafing etc for me on my long distance rides. I'll be cycling 800kms in total and just under 200km in a day on some of the stages, so thought I'd better make the right decision! Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

Christian.

Opinions vary but I personally like Assos bibs. They are noy cheap but have great padding. They tend to run a little small compared to other brands.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Opinions vary but I personally like Assos bibs. They are noy cheap but have great padding. They tend to run a little small compared to other brands.
I figured I'd give these a shot if mega millions had panned out. It didn't so I'm stuck with my Champion Systems and Pearl Izumi. Both these brands seem to do me fine.

To OP, sizes can vary quite a bit. Make sure to try them on or go for a place that allows returns. Possibly irrelevant but Castell stuff is usually two sizes to small for me on the lower half.

Thanks for the input guys.

I've heard about Assos Uno before, but can't really justify paying £120 for a pair of shorts at the mo. Would there be that much difference between, say, the Assos Unos and the Pearl Izumi? On one website, a reviewer said that they were very good for the moneym, but that the Azumis didn't have "that compression feeling". What does he mean by that?

I've come across this review (although the £26.66 bibs are only mentioned in passing):
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/jerseys/product/review-ride-milano-evo-jersey-12-45824?_brc=0

(I haven't seen any of this for sale stateside.) I personally have two pairs: Craft and LG, both around $140-150. I like them both, esp. the former.