Advice Needed on Frames

G

Greetings from South Africa

I am looking at getting a new frame and have the following options:

Cannondale CAAD3 - Aliminium Frame - Carbon Fork
Colnago Master Olympic - Steel Frame - Steel Fork
Terry Dolan - Aliminium Frame - Carbon Fork

I am new to this and any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Corey

Buying a new frame, depends on a few things.

1) How serious are you about cycling?
I does not help buying an expensive frame if you only going to cycle once a week or so.

2) Why are you just buying a frame?
Buying complete bikes is sometimes much cheeper than building your own. If you already have very good components like shimano 105 and upwards and have a very good set of wheels this option makes sense.

I personally like the alliminium based frames. They light and strong and come in various price ranges.

Buying a new frame, depends on a few things.

1) How serious are you about cycling?
I does not help buying an expensive frame if you only going to cycle once a week or so.

2) Why are you just buying a frame?
Buying complete bikes is sometimes much cheeper than building your own. If you already have very good components like shimano 105 and upwards and have a very good set of wheels this option makes sense.

I personally like the alliminium based frames. They light and strong and come in various price ranges.
I'm riding a CAAD4 C/Dale, but suggest you look at the latest giant frame. The Giant Zero (black one) looks brilliant. Dont know the price tag, but it would be in the same region as the CAAD3. (+- R6000)

I currently have a Cannondale that was hit by a car. The options I listed are the ones in my price range. I am never going to be a pro but I am aiming for the top 10% of my age group.

The Colnago is a great looking bike, but would hate to buy something because it looks good.

Any advice would greatly help...

My price range is R 6000, and the 3 frames I listed are within that range..

I currently have a Cannondale that was hit by a car. The options I listed are the ones in my price range. I am never going to be a pro but I am aiming for the top 10% of my age group.

The Colnago is a great looking bike, but would hate to buy something because it looks good.

Any advice would greatly help...
Buy the frame you like, colour, decals etc BUT get a Carbon Fork.

IMO, you should get a proper fitting first. Once that's over with, test ride each bike (it should be adjusted to your fit) and do some climbs, sprints, ride on rogh roads, smooth roads, potholes, wherever.

Then you decide which bike you want.

Aluminium frame/carbon fork make an awesome combo. Aluminium is nice and stiff - transferring energy well and the carbon fork soaks up a bit ofroad shock.

I agree on the test rides - I had a Cannondale and thought it was awesome until I rode a Look AL274. Sightly more flexible but oodles more comfortable (both have carbon forks).

I ride a steel frame with steel fork and I am very happy with the setup. Very comfy and easily stiff enough for me (but at 64 kg I probably don't have the musclepower to flex the frame). Personally I would go for the Colnago. Don't know about the Terry Dolan, never heard of them before.

What KIND of riding do you do?

I've ridden earlier versions of the Colnago and while it's a wonderful bike and has great, very senstive "road feel" and sprints and climbs very well, I would be very hesitant to ride it on a long ride ( over 50 or 60 miles), the same could be said of the Cannondale. The shaped tubes of the 'nago and the aluminum if the 'dale tend to give harsh riding qualities that would tend to be uncomfortable and tire you on longer rides. Unless you're a "real animal" I would advise a classic "stage" or possibly a "sport touring" frame in round tubed steel if you are planning to do longer rides, if not go for the "nago.

Ride Sharp
Pat

Thank you for the advice guys.. I decided on the Colnago and must admit that I am enjoying it tremendously..Something about those Italian made bikes..

Just curious, what is the monetary unit of South Africa? (I'm assuming that is where the majority of the contributors to this forum are from) For example, what is R6000 in American dollars?

Thanks mates,
mook